Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Meat

Re: Smoking Meat

So I learned how to butcher a hog a few months ago. I don't have a smokehouse, so I have a couple of uncured hams in the freezer. Any ideas of what to do with them?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    So I learned how to butcher a hog a few months ago. I don't have a smokehouse, so I have a couple of uncured hams in the freezer. Any ideas of what to do with them?
    I have this inexpensive smoker. It does not do well in temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I plan on smoking a Turkey breast tomorrow since it is still mild outside.
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mast...lectric-smoker

I would like to try smoking a ham one of these days.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I have this inexpensive smoker. It does not do well in temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. I plan on smoking a Turkey breast tomorrow since it is still mild outside.
    https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mast...lectric-smoker

I would like to try smoking a ham one of these days.
    OMG, turned out great!

5. Likes:

BillDoran (11-21-2021),Boss-Hog (11-11-2021),Roy Tucker (11-11-2021)

Has anyone ever used a silicone pan in the smoker? Just curious if they work well. I use the disposable aluminum pans. I love the no cleanup of the smoker and pan.
    Last edited by goreds2; 11-12-2021 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Grammar

Has anyone ever used a silicone pan in the smoker? Just curious if they work well. I use the disposable aluminum pans. I love the no cleanup of the smoker and pan.
    If I’m using a pan, I’ll go the disposable aluminum pan route. Just not worth the cleanup. Usually a lot of burnt crud on the pan.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

8. Likes:

goreds2 (11-13-2021)

OMG, turned out great!
    We have had Turkey wraps via the leftovers the last two nights. This is almost as good as the night it came out of the smoker!

We have had Turkey wraps via the leftovers the last two nights. This is almost as good as the night it came out of the smoker!
    Mrs. goreds2 fixed Turkey and noodles tonight. I think we got our money’s worth out of the smoked turkey.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-16-2021)

Mrs. goreds2 fixed Turkey and noodles tonight. I think we got our money’s worth out of the smoked turkey.
    Aren't you a little early with that? Don't wanna get all "turkied out" before next Thursday

13. Likes:

goreds2 (11-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Aren't you a little early with that? Don't wanna get all "turkied out" before next Thursday
    Some people do “practice runs” before the big day.

There’s different ways to fix a turkey too. I’ve been following this series through Meat Church:

https://www.meatchurch.com/?gclid=Cj...saAn5NEALw_wcB

Fried Cajun
    Spatchcock
    Turkey breast
    Drumsticks
    Smoked Turkey and stuffing and gravy
    Smokafried
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

15. Likes:

goreds2 (11-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Never get tired of turkey. I hope my doctor is reading this via it being a healthy food!

Prime rib and Pork Loin are my other favorites in the smoker.

I am still having challenges making chicken and ribs turn out great in the smoker. They do not turn out as moist as the above foods. I will get there.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

If you're doing babyback ribs, you're almost better doing them inside in a very low oven. I'm a philistine who likes babybacks and 2-3 hours at 225, or until 190 internal temp, followed by a rest while the oven cranks up to 500 degrees, then apply a bit of sauce, into the hot oven for 5-10 minutes until sticky and delicious is the way to go. Babybacks are so thin and lean, I feel the precision I can get by combining my dry rub (a few hours to overnight) with a little braising liquid (apple juice/cider) is the only way to hit the mark exactly. Lack of fat takes away some of your insurance.

But St. Louis style (the cadillac of ribs according to the experts) have way more meat and fat and should be able to take the variability of the smoker. If you're having trouble with those, it's almost certainly due to under cooking and not giving fat time to render. It takes time, but the fat doesn't start the "self basting" until it's been at or above 160 for quite some time. You can get the meat to 190, but if you haven't held it over 160 for an hour or so, the fat will soften but not fully render.

Never tried a chicken, but it might be a case where a brine helps. Since I started brining the thanksgiving turkey, I've found it an indispensable step for a lot of ultra lean cuts, including chicken breast and pork loin/chops, to increase juiciness. Also, unlike the cuts of pork we've talked about (that love it over 190 degrees), I wouldn't take chicken much above 150-155 in the breast (a bit higher for the leg and thigh) and let carryover get you the last few degrees. Screw the USDA advice on temps for chicken; it's safe to eat a good 10 degrees less than they say.

18. Likes:

goreds2 (11-17-2021)

Redhook’s cost-saving, delicious multi-meal tip of the day:

Buy a 5 pound package of boneless chicken breast for approximately $10
    Buy Paul Prudhomme’s Poultry Magic

Cover the chicken with olive oil and the Magic
    Smoke at 225 for 90 minutes give or take a bit

This will provide a great dinner for your family, a second dinner of chicken tacos, lunch for 3-4 days (chicken in salads or sandwiches). It’s a lot of food, but the bang for buck is fantastic. And, it’s really good chicken seasoned and smoked this way. Give it a try!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

20. Likes:

BillDoran (11-21-2021),goreds2 (11-17-2021)

Never get tired of turkey. I hope my doctor is reading this via it being a healthy food!

Prime rib and Pork Loin are my other favorites in the smoker.

I am still having challenges making chicken and ribs turn out great in the smoker. They do not turn out as moist as the above foods. I will get there.
    Prime rib and brisket FTW. As for ribs, I've probably used my smoker more for babyback ribs than anything else. This might sound weird, but for the last 1.5 hours, have them wrapped in foil. As you begin to wrap them, turn the foil up and pour a little bit of Dr. Pepper into the bottom of the foil next to the ribs and then carefully finish the wrap. Works like a charm to keep them moist while they finish smoking. Keep in mind that I only use olive oil and dry rub in prep (Char Crust- Roasted Garlic Peppercorn or Amazin' Cajun) on ribs so YMMV if using sauces instead.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

22. Likes:

goreds2 (11-17-2021)

We bought our sons-in-laws meat thermometers for Christmas from www.thermoworks.com. They just sent me a catalog and holy cow do they have every thermal gizmo you can think of.

24. Likes:

goreds2 (11-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Prime rib and brisket FTW. As for ribs, I've probably used my smoker more for babyback ribs than anything else. This might sound weird, but for the last 1.5 hours, have them wrapped in foil. As you begin to wrap them, turn the foil up and pour a little bit of Dr. Pepper into the bottom of the foil next to the ribs and then carefully finish the wrap. Works like a charm to keep them moist while they finish smoking. Keep in mind that I only use olive oil and dry rub in prep (Char Crust- Roasted Garlic Peppercorn or Amazin' Cajun) on ribs so YMMV if using sauces instead.
    I’ve done something similar only using Coca-Cola instead of Dr. Pepper. Lots of recipes out there for it.

26. Likes:

goreds2 (11-18-2021),SteelSD (11-18-2021)

Turn Off Ads?