Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Meat

Re: Smoking Meat

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I’ve done something similar only using Coca-Cola instead of Dr. Pepper. Lots of recipes out there for it.
    Yep. I've used Coke too and it probably works just as well. I started using Dr. Pepper after attending a dinner where Marcel Vigneron (Top Chef) served us ribs with sauce that incorporated Dr. Pepper. After that (amazing, it was), I was like, "Well, if it's good enough for the Top Chef dude's sauce, maybe it'll do something on its own."
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Likes:

Roy Tucker (11-19-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Black Friday Smoker Deals 2021: Early Electric & Pellet Smoker Deals Tracked by Consumer Articles

https://www.financialbuzz.com/black-...umer-articles/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

No, no, no……..

The cheap smoker I have is on sale for $99.97 with free shipping.(I paid $130) Be aware that it is not insulated very well so you have to use it in mild weather (50 degrees or higher)

I love it. Your results may vary.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mast...teo|dis|ret|mp

Nice warm day yesterday (high of 56 degrees). I fixed a prime rib and baked potatoes in the smoker. Turned out great.

We get our prime rib at Walmart of all places. It is a seasonal thing. They come air sealed and $8.97 a pound this one had on it. I am sure it is more expensive now. Bought it a few months ago.

I may try to cook a ham in the smoker in the near future. Any tips or tricks?

What flavor smoke chips ?

Bone in or boneless ham ?

Smoother in olive oil? (Prep)

Cooke time and temperature?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    I may try to cook a ham in the smoker in the near future. Any tips or tricks?

What flavor smoke chips ?

Bone in or boneless ham ?

Smoother in olive oil? (Prep)

Cooke time and temperature?

Thanks in advance.
    https://www.thisoldfarm.com/newslett...aze-and-sauce/

Did this at Easter. I would do a fruit wood such as cherry or apple since most hams have already been smoked in hickory.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

goreds2 (12-11-2021)

Anyone else fixing anything in the smoker today for Christmas? We are fixing angus prime rib that was bought at Walmart. They are always great. $11.97 a pound.

I didn't smoke it, but I had a Christmas ham that was smoked for a few hours. It was the b
    est ham I have ever had.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

13. Likes:

goreds2 (12-26-2021),Redhook (12-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    I didn't smoke it, but I had a Christmas ham that was smoked for a few hours. It was the b
    est ham I have ever had.
    Same here. Every Christmas Eve in Missouri, Santa Clause (family friend) brings us a smoked ham and asks the kiddos what they want for Christmas. Like you said, it’s the best ham I’ve ever had. Now that I have a smoker, I look forward to trying to myself.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

15. Likes:

goreds2 (12-26-2021)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Anyone else fixing anything in the smoker today for Christmas? We are fixing angus prime rib that was bought at Walmart. They are always great. $11.97 a pound.
    I might fire up the WSM over the New Year's weekend. A Costco just opened nearby, and after I mentioned that some of the prices on pork and ribs looked good, the missus gave me a gift card for Christmas. I've done mostly ribs for the last couple of years -- always a hit for family gatherings -- but I feel like trying something different. Unfortunately, the main thing I have on my try-something-new list is Montreal smoked meat (cousin to pastrami) but that's not happening until brisket prices around here come back down from ridiculous.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

17. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-31-2021),goreds2 (12-31-2021)

Going to be 57 degrees here on Wednesday. We are planning on putting a pork loin in the smoker.

19. Likes:

BillDoran (02-13-2022),Redhook (02-12-2022)

So, I accidentally smoked the best drummies of my life the other day. We’re talking world-class tasting chicken. First, I need to say I’m a huge fan of drummies because you feel like a caveman when you’re destroying them. I love wings too, but they’re stupid expensive right now.

After getting the smoker started, I noticed I was low on seasoning. So, I decided to go simple with olive oil, sea salt and pepper. I smoked those badboys for an hour on the smoke setting….around 130 or so. Then, I cranked it up to 225 for another hour. After that I lathered half the wings with BBQ sauce and the other half with hot wing sauce. I put them back on for 30 minutes. During those 2.5 hours, something magical occurred. I’m not sure what or why it happened, but these drummies were off the charts good. Give it a try. I guarantee you’ll love them.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

21. Likes:

BillDoran (02-13-2022),goreds2 (02-13-2022)

Short ribs on the Egg yesterday.

Rubbed w salt, pepper and paprika. 90 minutes at 225, then another hour at 275 until fork tender

Leftovers from last night going to be repurposed for cheesesteak sandwiches tonight.

23. Likes:

BillDoran (02-13-2022),Boss-Hog (02-13-2022),goreds2 (02-13-2022),Redhook (02-13-2022),Revering4Blue (02-13-2022),Roy Tucker (02-14-2022)

Going to be 57 degrees here on Wednesday. We are planning on putting a pork loin in the smoker.
    Fresh country ribs now in the smoker. May have to pop open a cold beverage.

25. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-16-2022)

Turn Off Ads?