Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sonny Gray Thread

He still bangs

Re: The Sonny Gray Thread

It’s really interesting he’s opening up about it now.

When he was first interviewed after the trade and asked about last year, he kind of feigned ignorance without a real explanation—just that he felt great and wasn’t sure. This makes much more sense to me now.

Now it comes out, and I gotta respect Sonny for not Latosing about the Yanks as soon as he got traded.

Interesting interview.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's my Sonny Gray question: is he going to be ready to start the season?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

Chip R (03-06-2019),DocRed (03-07-2019),HokieRed (03-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yes unless he has some other stepback he will be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Yes unless he has some other stepback he will be ready.
    OD is only 23 days away. That's a pretty short window to get him stretched out.

OD is only 23 days away. That's a pretty short window to get him stretched out.
    Fifth starter isn’t needed until April 6th. That gives him about ten more days.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Fifth starter isn’t needed until April 6th. That gives him about ten more days.
    And maybe that gives him the time he needs. What I'm wary of is the notion that guys are getting ready out of sight. That trick never works. I won't be offended if he doesn't show up until mid-April.

The Sonny Gray Thread

The way bell and Johnson are getting all the starting pitchers ready, I can’t see how any will be ready for opening day but Roark. Definitely an unconventional approach (slow start to Gray’s spring aside) - at least one I haven’t seen in cincy before - to readying the starting staff.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

10. Likes:

marcshoe (03-06-2019),mth123 (03-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    The way bell and Johnson are getting all the starting pitchers ready, I can’t see how any will be ready for opening day but Roark. Definitely an unconventional approach (slow start to Gray’s spring aside) - at least one I haven’t seen in cincy before - to readying the starting staff.
    Absolutely. It's go time for these pitchers. We need 3 inning outings next appearance for the starters and 5 innings each next week. Relievers need to start getting multiple inning outings and some back to back days. I'm guessing they are waiting for minor league games to start before getting a large group of the glut out of here so the main guys can get more innings in. I hope they cut about 20 guys by the end of the week with at least half being pitchers.

18 days until camp breaks.
    Last edited by mth123; 03-06-2019 at 07:15 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

membengal (03-06-2019)

I'm guessing they'll have 4-5 IP hooks to start the season, though it means hanging up the bullpen wet on a nightly basis.

I wonder if the idea of using openers might play into this, although I'm not sure how that really helps.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I'm guessing they'll have 4-5 IP hooks to start the season, though it means hanging up the bullpen wet on a nightly basis.
    That's what it looks like to me too - probably why Bell has been talking about a 13-man pitching staff like he has since the spring got underway.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

That's what it looks like to me too - probably why Bell has been talking about a 13-man pitching staff like he has since the spring got underway.
    I think he's overestimating the depth of his pitching talent. I don't think he's got 13 pitchers that us fans want to see in MLB games

Good read. I am so eager to see what Sonny can do this year.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sonny-gray-...225323231.html

This article IMO throws up a lot of Red flags about Gray.
    Did not like him throwing the Yankees under the Bus reminded me of Latos when he left.
    Did not like the perception of hardheadedness and not listening to coaches and analytics (His slider has been way more effective than fastballs)

I am glad that he wants to improve but his attitude leaves much to be desired.

Sounds like he is wanting to throw fastballs more which as you can see by brooks baseball gets hit harder and has way less swing and miss. To me this sounds like a bad plan analytically. Who knows maybe the analytics are wrongs?

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Did not like him throwing the Yankees under the Bus
    He really didn't. He couldn't have been more polite about saying that he just didn't have a Tanaka-like slider, but of course all the headlines coming out of The Athletic interview had to be that he RIPPED the Yankees because that is what gets clicks.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (03-07-2019),BillDoran (03-07-2019),OGB (03-07-2019),OhioRiverBarge (03-07-2019),Plus Plus (03-08-2019),RedsfaninMT (03-07-2019),Revering4Blue (03-07-2019),StRedlegs900 (03-07-2019),TRF (03-11-2019)

Turn Off Ads?