Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Season 8

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

I see what you’re both saying, but her taking her dragons after Cersei isn’t going to make her a villain to me. Cersei has provoked it. She brought human shields into the Red Keep. Dany just nuking innocents is completely out of character and that is what she has to do next week to be the bad guy to the point that Jon, Tyrion, etc turn on her. I really hope that’s not that plan, because again, it isn’t earned and is out of character.

If they wanted to make Dany the bad guy you keep Missandei as a prisoner and have Dany burn her anyway. Once Cersei cuts off her head I’m rooting for Dany to torch her.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

Final thought on last night's episode...Apparently, no one in Westeros understands three dimensional space. I kept waiting for Dany to have Drogon climb to a point directly over Euron's ships and then dive-roast them into oblivion. There's no way they could turn their giant crossbow's straight up. Sigh...
    I felt like the whole ambush and scorpions seemed way too easy. So easy to the degree where it's as if everyone in the Anti-Cersei alliance went stupid all of the sudden. Consider:

1. They knew Cersei had Euron's fleet, and should have been expecting that he would be seeking to engage their ships when they set sail.
    2. Dany has two dragons, but one is injured. Instead of immediately heading south with both dragons, she could have been running reconnaissance with Drogon to find out where Euron was from a safe height.
    3. They knew that Cersei had the scorpion technology and that it could at least injure a dragon. Bronn hit Drogon with one last season.
    4. The scorpions have a limited range of motion. As you noted, SteelSD, Dany could have simply gone high, then dive bombed Euron's ship and roasted him on the spot, leaving the Iron Fleet without its leader.
    5. Do they have no spies anymore? Building all those scorpions is a massive undertaking which would have likely required procurement of resources outside the walls of King's Landing. And let's not forget all the practice required to make sure teams operating the scorpions can aim and fire the things. So even if Varys' little birds within King's Landing had been stolen by Qybern, they should have had other sources that would have told them of goings on of the defensive fortifications in King's Landing, and probably what was going on in the shipyards with Euron's fleet.

Seriously, just about everything in the second half of the episode made me want to yell at the TV to the characters, "Hey, don't do that!"
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-08-2019),marcshoe (05-08-2019),RiverRat13 (05-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I felt like the whole ambush and scorpions seemed way too easy. So easy to the degree where it's as if everyone in the Anti-Cersei alliance went stupid all of the sudden. Consider:

1. They knew Cersei had Euron's fleet, and should have been expecting that he would be seeking to engage their ships when they set sail.
    2. Dany has two dragons, but one is injured. Instead of immediately heading south with both dragons, she could have been running reconnaissance with Drogon to find out where Euron was from a safe height.
    3. They knew that Cersei had the scorpion technology and that it could at least injure a dragon. Bronn hit Drogon with one last season.
    4. The scorpions have a limited range of motion. As you noted, SteelSD, Dany could have simply gone high, then dive bombed Euron's ship and roasted him on the spot, leaving the Iron Fleet without its leader.
    5. Do they have no spies anymore? Building all those scorpions is a massive undertaking which would have likely required procurement of resources outside the walls of King's Landing. And let's not forget all the practice required to make sure teams operating the scorpions can aim and fire the things. So even if Varys' little birds within King's Landing had been stolen by Qybern, they should have had other sources that would have told them of goings on of the defensive fortifications in King's Landing, and probably what was going on in the shipyards with Euron's fleet.

Seriously, just about everything in the second half of the episode made me want to yell at the TV to the characters, "Hey, don't do that!"
    All reasons why it's ranked the worst GoT episode on IMDB (6.8), the next lowest is Season 5 - Episode 6 "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" at 8.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    All reasons why it's ranked the worst GoT episode on IMDB (6.8), the next lowest is Season 5 - Episode 6 "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" at 8.1.
    Ah yes, the Ramsy/Sansa rape debacle with Theon looking on. Terrible scene; questionable choices. That actually wasn't a bad episode narratively though. Just that one scene sticks out. In terms of overall quality of production, it is *way* better than the last episode.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Ah yes, the Ramsy/Sansa rape debacle with Theon looking on. Terrible scene; questionable choices. That actually wasn't a bad episode narratively though. Just that one scene sticks out. In terms of overall quality of production, it is *way* better than the last episode.
    That was a lot tamer than what happens in the book (though not to Sansa).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Once Cersei cuts off her head I’m rooting for Dany to torch her.
    That's how they want us to feel, right up until it reaches the point of "Oh, I didn't want that."

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's how they want us to feel, right up until it reaches the point of "Oh, I didn't want that."
    Yeah I mean I guess we will see how it plays out. There’s been a lot of narrative criticism of this episode, but I’m waiting on that. We are in the middle of all those stories.

Um, wow.

I have maintained for a number of years that Dany was bringing terror to Westeros, not liberation. Yet, when you see it laid bare, it's like a wrecking ball.

11. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-12-2019),Yachtzee (05-12-2019)

One tin soldier rides away. Sorry, but when Arya saw the horse, that came to mind unbidden.

This is starting to look like the ending GRRM joked about (we thought), the one where everyone dies and the ending is snow blowing across graves.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

13. Likes:

M2 (05-12-2019),Yachtzee (05-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    One tin soldier rides away. Sorry, but when Arya saw the horse, that came to mind unbidden.

This is starting to look like the ending GRRM joked about (we thought), the one where everyone dies and the ending is snow blowing across graves.
    So, does Arya go after Dany or Drogon?

I highly suspect it's Drogon and Jon ends up pronouncing the sentence against Dany and taking her head (followed by an immediate retirement beyond the wall).

Also, with King's Landing destroyed, does Westeros revert to seven kingdoms? Sansa in the North, Tyrion in the West, Yara in the Iron Islands, Robyn Arryn in the Vale, Edmure Tully in the Riverlands, Bronn in the Reach, Gendry in the Stormlands and unnamed Martell in Dorne.

15. Likes:

marcshoe (05-12-2019)

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

17. Likes:

dabvu2498 (05-13-2019),KronoRed (05-12-2019),Redsfaithful (05-13-2019),RiverRat13 (05-13-2019),schmidty622 (05-13-2019),TheBigLebowski (05-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I see what you’re both saying, but her taking her dragons after Cersei isn’t going to make her a villain to me. Cersei has provoked it. She brought human shields into the Red Keep. Dany just nuking innocents is completely out of character and that is what she has to do next week to be the bad guy to the point that Jon, Tyrion, etc turn on her. I really hope that’s not that plan, because again, it isn’t earned and is out of character.

If they wanted to make Dany the bad guy you keep Missandei as a prisoner and have Dany burn her anyway. Once Cersei cuts off her head I’m rooting for Dany to torch her.
    Still feel this way. I think Danys turn is a failure of storytelling. I don’t have a problem that they had her turn, but very much in the way they did it.

I hope I can get over it, because that was a brilliant, epic episode of television.

19. Likes:

RiverRat13 (05-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    So, does Arya go after Dany or Drogon?

I highly suspect it's Drogon and Jon ends up pronouncing the sentence against Dany and taking her head (followed by an immediate retirement beyond the wall).

Also, with King's Landing destroyed, does Westeros revert to seven kingdoms? Sansa in the North, Tyrion in the West, Yara in the Iron Islands, Robyn Arryn in the Vale, Edmure Tully in the Riverlands, Bronn in the Reach, Gendry in the Stormlands and unnamed Martell in Dorne.
    Yeah, lots of questions.

Arya. Doesn't Death ride a pale horse? Was I the only person to think that she was going to softly say "Daenerys Targaryan" right before she saw said horse?

Didn't Daenerys once say that she didn't come over to be the queen of ashes? Welp. Guess that didn't work out, eh?

If a Euron stabs a Jamie on a beach, but no one is there to see it and Jamie is crushed by falling stone anyway, does Euron receive all, some, or no posthumous credit for killing him? That one should be added to the LSAT.

Is Tyrion the cleverest dumb person or the dumbest clever person in Westeros?

Is it wrong of me to think there's a 2% chance that Bronn will show up with 10 minutes left in the series finale, shoot everyone with that stupid crossbow, and have a smoke on the Iron Throne?

Really, wasn't the most out-of-character thing Cersei's "Baghdad Bob" act? Did anyone else expect her to start shouting "Do not be alarmed!! There are no dragons in King's landing!!!"?

Will someone please tell Tormund that Brienne is now available?
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

21. Likes:

M2 (05-13-2019)

D&D really are committed to taking the most simplistic and/or dumbest route in every way to wind things down. It's kind of uncanny.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    D&D really are committed to taking the most simplistic and/or dumbest route in every way to wind things down. It's kind of uncanny.
    Totally, unequivocally disagree.

24. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-13-2019)

Turn Off Ads?