Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Season 8

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

It’s so much more complicated than that. But by quoting Wiki, you made my point.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    See, I disagree with this. I very vividly remember scenes when she was in Essos and she decides to slaughter people thinking “uhh, that was pretty dictatorish of her.”

Also, in the books there are quite a few moment in books 2-5 where you really wonder how far Dany will go.
    Don’t get me wrong, there is definitely a handful of moments at least where her character is fairly brutal and ruthless, but I guess just the way they portrayed the character to me made it feel like they were more the exception than the norm.

And also like, I just get the feeling that the show wanted you to like her for too long, too close to her major breaking point. And I think they actually had the real character moments and events there to build off of. Like, when she roasts the Tarly’s, that was pretty cold blooded and to me felt like a major character shift. Had the show done more to portray that as a major point in her decline towards being evil basically, I think that would’ve worked. As in, more repercussions from that or just changed how other characters reacted to that, how they interacted with her and how they viewed her. If the other characters had started questioning her as an unreliable leader around say that point, I think it would’ve worked really well for her characters development.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It’s so much more complicated than that. But by quoting Wiki, you made my point.
    I mean, how many sources do you require to know mental illness is hereditary?

Here’s webmd:

Genetics (heredity): Mental illnesses sometimes run in families, suggesting that people who have a family member with a mental illness may be somewhat more likely to develop one themselves. Susceptibility is passed on in families through genes. Experts believe many mental illnesses are linked to abnormalities in many genes rather than just one or a few and that how these genes interact with the environment is unique for every person (even identical twins). That is why a person inherits a susceptibility to a mental illness and doesn't necessarily develop the illness. Mental illness itself occurs from the interaction of multiple genes and other factors -- such as stress, abuse, or a traumatic event -- which can influence, or trigger, an illness in a person who has an inherited susceptibility to it.
    The Mayo Clinic:

Causes
    Mental illnesses, in general, are thought to be caused by a variety of genetic and environmental factors:

Inherited traits. Mental illness is more common in people whose blood relatives also have a mental illness. Certain genes may increase your risk of developing a mental illness, and your life situation may trigger it.
    Do we really need to argue this? What are we doing here?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, there is definitely a handful of moments at least where her character is fairly brutal and ruthless, but I guess just the way they portrayed the character to me made it feel like they were more the exception than the norm.

And also like, I just get the feeling that the show wanted you to like her for too long, too close to her major breaking point. And I think they actually had the real character moments and events there to build off of. Like, when she roasts the Tarly’s, that was pretty cold blooded and to me felt like a major character shift. Had the show done more to portray that as a major point in her decline towards being evil basically, I think that would’ve worked. As in, more repercussions from that or just changed how other characters reacted to that, how they interacted with her and how they viewed her. If the other characters had started questioning her as an unreliable leader around say that point, I think it would’ve worked really well for her characters development.

I don’t understand. How much is enough? She is one of a cast of like 200 characters. How many scenes are needed to really drive home she is going mad? Like 100 hours of Dany slowing going mad?
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 05-21-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

They call me "chef"

So basically, the main defense of Dany’s actions is “*****es Be Crazy.”
    I thought posting "lies" about other posters and misrepresenting what they said was something that you were passionately against? Inferring that your 'unintentional' spoiler was still a spoiler pisses you off but you're cool dropping a misogyny atom bomb as an argument tactic? Are people who think Dany was setup to be mad the whole series also why Trump won?

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I think your post actually reflects mine. You view the setup as bits of lore and side exposition and, generally, things that are there but aren't really important. Other people collected those "bits" and had them stacked up beside the positive character development and didn't differentiate one as real and the other as faux details or misdirection or side stuff.

And I'll add that I obviously fall in the latter camp but I don't necessarily believe one is 'right'. I think you can totally experience it as Dany being the actual hero who was shoe-horned into a villain BUT I think once you get in a group and start chatting, one camp is easier to argue in support of as a general take and one is more of an 'agree to disagree/this is how I view it' argument. "Jaime is still alive" is a very extreme example of a take that one can argue for and choose to believe but, ultimately, it's hard to move others to adopt that as the general take.
    Yeah that’s fair, ultimately I’m majorly invested either way and like I said I casually binged through it the last couple weeks after not having seen any of the show since doing the same thing around season 3. I can understand why the people who liked the ending did, and I think having her be a villain in the end was an interesting turn. I just also get why people think the execution wasn’t done as well as it could’ve been.

- - - Updated - - -

Here’s webmd:

The Mayo Clinic:

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t understand. How much is enough? She is one of a cast of like 200 characters. How many scenes are needed to really drive home she is going mad? Like 100 hours of Dany slowing going mad?
    I don’t know exactly, just that to me, it’s more than what was devoted to it.

Here’s webmd:

The Mayo Clinic:

Mental illness can be hereditary. But arguing that because a person has mental illness in their family that they are destined to go mad, is incorrect.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I guess my overall interpretation of it is that, to me, the show obviously wants you to root for her for like, 95% of it’s duration, right up until the moment she unleashes dragon genocide. Like she’s pretty unambiguously the protagonist of the show, she’s not really an anti-hero or really all that conflicted up until she suddenly is. And sure there is setup and hints and bits and pieces that that’s where she’s ending up sprinkled through out the show, but that’s mostly lore and some isolated events here and there through out the show. If you’re going to push through a major character shift like that, it has to be based on more than more lore and hints. There has to be some actual on screen storytelling that leads to that moment.
    That's you unambiguously buying into an archetype GOT constantly undermined.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

But arguing that because a person has mental illness in their family that they are destined to go mad, is incorrect.
    You’ll have to point out where I said this.

(Hint: I did not say that)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's you unambiguously buying into an archetype GOT constantly undermined.
    I mean I don’t really agree with that. I feel like most of the plot and character arcs were fairly conventional. I don’t really think they did much to undermine that Daenerys obviously the sympathetic protagonist for the vast majority of the show.

I mean I don’t really agree with that. I feel like most of the plot and character arcs were fairly conventional. I don’t really think they did much to undermine that Daenerys obviously the sympathetic protagonist for the vast majority of the show.
    I keep going back to the end of season 6, when she's on the boats with horde barbaric horde (known for dishing out rape, murder and mayhem) and her medieval nukes (the dragons which we just saw unleash carnage) on the heels of her being a resolute failure as a ruler (season 5), and I'm not sure how much more obvious they could have been that something wicked was headed to Westeros. Even the visual itself had a Triumph of the Will feel to it.

She was the sympathetic villain. Always that.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If you think what Dany did was out of character then you didn't have a very good grip on any of the story.

The best thing GRRM and GOT did was trick a lot of people into thinking Dany was good, just because of where she started from at the beginning of the show. She's been ruthlessly killing people the whole time in order to establish her way. She was fire and blood the whole time but up until KL only those who deserved it seemed to stand in her way.

15. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (05-21-2019)

They call me "chef"

We can at least all agree that the shot of her walking into view with the dragon wings raising behind her was glorious.

17. Likes:

M2 (05-21-2019),marcshoe (05-21-2019),RedTeamGo! (05-21-2019),savafan (05-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    We can at least all agree that the shot of her walking into view with the dragon wings raising behind her was glorious.
    You sexist monster

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I keep going back to the end of season 6, when she's on the boats with horde barbaric horde (known for dishing out rape, murder and mayhem) and her medieval nukes (the dragons which we just saw unleash carnage) on the heels of her being a resolute failure as a ruler (season 5), and I'm not sure how much more obvious they could have been that something wicked was headed to Westeros. Even the visual itself had a Triumph of the Will feel to it.

She was the sympathetic villain. Always that.
    I think that’d make more sense had the show actually treated her like that. For the most part, the rest of the characters we’re sympathetic to are loyal to her or at least very least factioned with her right up until the end. Hell, they had Jon Snow nearly make an argument why she was justified in burning down the city right up in the scene before he kills her.

Had the characters around her been more conflicted about her leading up to that, I think it would’ve seemed less immediate.

20. Likes:

RiverRat13 (05-21-2019)

Turn Off Ads?