Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Season 8

They call me "chef"

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Bran theory: The show didn't get into it, but I wonder if Bran chose to by the Weirwood because he could keep the other White Walkers away. The Night King could get to him because of the mark, and the wights could because they're under his direct command. Yet it's possible the White Walkers couldn't get any closer than the perimeter of the Godswood. Could be one of those (potential) book things that's lurking under the covers, but that doesn't get full explanation in the show. It would explain what Bran was doing and why Arya got an open shot at the Night King.

Side note: if someone posts a spoiler about something else (and, very not cool), maybe don't quote it and talk about it repeatedly, making sure that everyone is sure to see it.
    But what if it’s just a Dadaist word association joke that has no meaning and is connected to no movie or plot?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Glad I didn't read this thread today until I just finished episode 3.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Bran theory: The show didn't get into it, but I wonder if Bran chose to by the weirwood because he could keep the other White Walkers away. The Night King could get to him because of the mark, and the wights could because they're under his direct command. Yet it's possible the White Walkers couldn't get any closer than the perimeter of the Godswood. Could be one of those (potential) book things that's lurking under the covers, but that doesn't get full explanation in the show. It would explain what Bran was doing and why Arya got an open shot at the Night King.
    Have to say that Bran's arc is the least compelling in the show to me. It's cool that he can warg and stuff, but I'm still not entirely sure what his function is in the plot beyond providing motivation for flashbacks. And if it is really *only* fan service or those who know the books like the backs of their hands, then it is a tactical error on the part of the writing team.

In short, love the dagger's journey (as enumerated by M2 earlier) but still dissatisfied with Bran as an overall character and component of the show.
    Last edited by RedEye; 04-29-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-30-2019),M2 (04-30-2019),Redsfaithful (04-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Have to say that Bran's arc is the least compelling in the show to me. It's cool that he can warg and stuff, but I'm still not entirely sure what his function is in the plot beyond providing motivation for flashbacks. And if it is really *only* fan service or those who know the books like the backs of their hands, then it is a tactical error on the part of the writing team.

In short, love the dagger's journey (as enumerated by M2 earlier) but still dissatisfied with Bran as an overall character and component of the show.
    I think there’s more to Bran they haven’t revealed yet. As for the book stuff, by the end of the last released book they hadn’t even gotten to Hodor’s demise yet.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think there’s more to Bran they haven’t revealed yet.
    Yeah, I have to agree. At least I hope so. I guess I just feel like that whole plot line has been wallowing in uncertainty for seasons now.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah, I have to agree. At least I hope so. I guess I just feel like that whole plot line has been wallowing in uncertainty for seasons now.
    Yes, and I think it’s directly because of where Martin left that storyline off in the last book. He was just starting to scratch the surface with Bran. I don’t think Benioff and Weiss really knew what to do with him. Unless it turns out he’s the Lord of Light and when he was worging during the battle he was actually controlling Melisandre, Beric Dondarrion, Jon Snow, and The Hound, who were all likely brought back by him from the dead.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Unless it turns out he’s the Lord of Light and when he was worging during the battle he was actually controlling Melisandre, Beric Dondarrion, Jon Snow, and The Hound, who were all likely brought back by him from the dead.
    Wow, now THERE is an interesting theory. So they are like pawns on a chessboard for him in that view. I would kind of love that.

Some interesting discussion going on about the lighting of "The Long Night" from Vanity Fair if anyone is interested. It is primarily about the work of the cinematographer and how he was trying to distinguish the episode from other prominent night-time battle scenes (primarily Helm's Deep in LotR):

This episode of Game of Thrones was called “The Long Night,” which is primarily an allusion to the fabled battle of old that rocked Westeros and may play a part in the prequel series currently in the works at HBO. But it’s also a rather apt name for an episode of television that had many at home squinting and scooting closer to see if one of their favorites had just died in the dimly lit clash between the army of the living and the army of the dead. (We have a full accounting here.) The episode’s director of photography, Fabian Wagner, spoke with Vanity Fair’s “Still Watching” podcast about some of the challenges of shooting this nocturnal skirmish.
    Personally, as a scholar of film and media, the discussion of lighting fascinates me. It is the primary place that there has been backlash, and speaks directly to the changing conditions of aesthetics in a multiplatform media environment. I also quite liked the darkness of the episode, which I thought made understanding the story a unique -- and perhaps grounbreakingly difficult -- challenge for mainstream entertainment.
    Last edited by RedEye; 04-29-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Yes, and I think it’s directly because of where Martin left that storyline off in the last book. He was just starting to scratch the surface with Bran. I don’t think Benioff and Weiss really knew what to do with him. Unless it turns out he’s the Lord of Light and when he was worging during the battle he was actually controlling Melisandre, Beric Dondarrion, Jon Snow, and The Hound, who were all likely brought back by him from the dead.
    That would be pretty cool. I do hope they get more into the Three Eyed Raven and how they are chosen and why it’s Bran and all that. Might be in the spin off though.

Remember when Lost started running down and it became evident that there wasn't time left to get many answers and still advance the plot? We're there now.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-30-2019),KronoRed (04-30-2019),RedTeamGo! (04-30-2019),WildcatFan (04-30-2019),Yachtzee (04-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Remember when Lost started running down and it became evident that there wasn't time left to get many answers and still advance the plot? We're there now.
    One of the finest lines ever about endings, from Supernatural: "Endings are hard. Any chapped-ass monkey with a keyboard can poop out a beginning, but endings are impossible. You try to tie up every loose end, but you never can. The fans are always gonna *****. There's always gonna be holes. And since it's the ending, it's all supposed to add up to something. I'm telling you, they're a raging pain in the ass."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

There will be an ending of course, but HBO wants to milk this for all it’s worth with other shows and movies (plural).

So while some specific character stuff and things only important to this plot will be wrapped up, they aren’t going to do any world changing type stuff to mess up future shows or reveal too much for shows that take place in the past.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

That was The Walking Dead’s best episode.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

17. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (05-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    There will be an ending of course, but HBO wants to milk this for all it’s worth with other shows and movies (plural).

So while some specific character stuff and things only important to this plot will be wrapped up, they aren’t going to do any world changing type stuff to mess up future shows or reveal too much for shows that take place in the past.
    I think it's the end of this era of Westeros. They'll do stuff set in its past. Also could mess around with Essos. Norvos sounds wild.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I think a great prequel could revolve around House Martell, Dorne and the Sand Snakes. I always wanted more from their story (most notably Oberyn) than I received.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?