Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Storage

Photo Storage

For years I've been saving family photos/albums on-line (PhotoBucket). It was free, and I needed someplace to save/secure pictures other then CD (which does deteriorate over time). They've transitioned over to a pay site offering me all these monthly plans for storage. And even though I haven't signed up for any of their plans, still have access to the albums I have stored, the website is over-ran by hijackers and pop-up ads that drive you crazy trying to do the simplest of functions. And I'm assuming that would disappear if I caved and subscribe to one of their plans.

So I'm looking for another alternative, and looking for recommendations from those who are more "informed" on this (LOL). I've been looking into Google Cloud and Microsoft's One Drive which I have access to, but not sure those are the best resources to use for this.

I appreciate any input.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Photo Storage

I really recommend Dropbox. I believe it's $99 a year. I do use it for more than photos, but you might find yourself using it for other things also - having stuff like insurance papers, etc. in there is some peace of mind.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Thanks RF. They have a Basic plan (2 GB) that is free, so I think I'll start there and see how I like it. I can always upgrade to the Plus Plan ($99/Yr).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Thanks RF. They have a Basic plan (2 GB) that is free, so I think I'll start there and see how I like it. I can always upgrade to the Plus Plan ($99/Yr).
    My brother has the basic plan he has let the family use to view old letters my mom and dad sent each other during WWII. It seems to work really well.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6. Likes:

GAC (02-11-2019)

It's going to take me some time to transfer all those albums/pictures off of PhotoBucket (LOL). I've always been able to mass upload pictures from my computer to their site via a tool they provided. But I searched, yet couldn't find any tool that would allow to be do the same in reverse and store them back onto my computer. I opened up an album, put it in slideshow, and then right clicked on each individual picture and did a "save as" into a file I created on the computer. Took me an hour to do one album. Yeah, there may be a better way, but I haven't found it yet (LOL).

It'll be one of my retirement projects. I'll try to do an album a day. I'm putting them in a central file location where I want to then organize/label them better.

I'm going to ask another stupid question .... but does the technology exist that would allow me to sync my computer with the TV so I could show those pics on the TV?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I use free versions of OneDrive (Microsoft), Box, DropBox and Google Drive to save and share different sets of personal files. I also have a paid version of Google Drive for my company 100 GB $20/yr.
    OneDrive actually was giving away 15 GB at one point but they scaled that back. I think it's 5 GB now. Box is 10 GB (just checked).

Computer to TV, I use an Apple TV. Not sure if the other boxes (Roku, FireTV, etc) do it also.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I use free versions of OneDrive (Microsoft), Box, DropBox and Google Drive to save and share different sets of personal files. I also have a paid version of Google Drive for my company 100 GB $20/yr.
    OneDrive actually was giving away 15 GB at one point but they scaled that back. I think it's 5 GB now. Box is 10 GB (just checked).

Computer to TV, I use an Apple TV. Not sure if the other boxes (Roku, FireTV, etc) do it also.
    My son also recommended OneDrive and GoogleDrive. I have no problem with that when it comes to pictures, but very wary when it comes to important documents. Yesterday my son told me that while he uses those himself, he says he still uses an external HD to store his stuff because what if something happens to those "clouds'? So I'm going to go that route. Use either Google or OneDrive, but back everything up on an external.

But first I gotta get all these picture folders/albums organized (LOL). My problem is that as I'm going through them I start reminiscing and it slows me down (LOL).

10. Likes:

Chip R (02-12-2019)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

My son also recommended OneDrive and GoogleDrive. I have no problem with that when it comes to pictures, but very wary when it comes to important documents. Yesterday my son told me that while he uses those himself, he says he still uses an external HD to store his stuff because what if something happens to those "clouds'? So I'm going to go that route. Use either Google or OneDrive, but back everything up on an external.

But first I gotta get all these picture folders/albums organized (LOL). My problem is that as I'm going through them I start reminiscing and it slows me down (LOL).
    I'm also wary of the "cloud" and back up to external drives also. The thing is that an off-site backup is always recommended. As I remember, your house burned down years ago, so you can understand why. Before the cloud, I would have two backup external drives and keep one in safe deposit box at the bank. I'd switch them out ever so often and that way I'd have a relatively fresh backup off site.

If your stuff isn't that big (in terms of GB), you could put critical files (tax returns, document scans) on a flash drive and drop it off at the bank or somewhere secure off site.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

It's going to take me some time to transfer all those albums/pictures off of PhotoBucket (LOL). I've always been able to mass upload pictures from my computer to their site via a tool they provided. But I searched, yet couldn't find any tool that would allow to be do the same in reverse and store them back onto my computer. I opened up an album, put it in slideshow, and then right clicked on each individual picture and did a "save as" into a file I created on the computer. Took me an hour to do one album. Yeah, there may be a better way, but I haven't found it yet (LOL).

It'll be one of my retirement projects. I'll try to do an album a day. I'm putting them in a central file location where I want to then organize/label them better.

I'm going to ask another stupid question .... but does the technology exist that would allow me to sync my computer with the TV so I could show those pics on the TV?

I use photobucket too and was interested in removing pictures. I researched it and apparently they used to have a tool to let you removed pictures from an entire album at one time, but removed that feature (presumably when they tried to charge $400 a year to let you hotlink pictures.)

I use google photos also and like it, though I have not transferred all my pictures to it yet.

I use dropbox for documents and really like it, but never thought to use it for pictures. Thanks to whoever suggested that. I guess it was too obvious for me to see

13. Likes:

GAC (02-13-2019)

I bought a Western Digital external HD yesterday as my main back-up. But I'm still going to store pictures either on Google Drive or One Drive. Still looking into both (LOL).

I pay $20 a year for 100GB of Google Drive. non HD photos are unlimited on google photos, only HD photos cost against your limit.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

16. Likes:

GAC (02-14-2019)

I used to use Photobucket as well, but it sucked and I left even before they started to charge. I use Flickr now, got a pro membership for $50 a year. Still learning to use it but have liked it so far.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

18. Likes:

GAC (02-14-2019)

I just don't like the idea of storing important documents on these "Clouds". Ain't happenin. That's the primary reason I got the external HD.

20. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-14-2019)

I just don't like the idea of storing important documents on these "Clouds". Ain't happenin. That's the primary reason I got the external HD.
    FWIW, I wouldn't either. Pictures and old letters and things of that sort are fine. But anything sensitive at all I would never trust out on a cloud.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The docs I store are stuff I write for places I volunteer (history related stuff), nothing really sensitive, but putting them on a flash drive or other backup is probably a good idea.
    Last edited by UKFlounder; 02-14-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Turn Off Ads?