Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Benson

Will Benson

Will Benson
    Over his first 10 games in two big league stints last season, Benson went 1-for-25 (.040) with 14 strikeouts.

But things started clicking upon his recall from Triple-A Louisville on May 26. He hit .298 with 11 homers, 31 RBIs and a .931 OPS over his next 98 games.

The way Benson ended the year helped him go into the offseason with more confidence and allowed him to focus more on 2024.

“I think last year gave me a base to know this works, the routine works, approach works, mindset works -- let’s just go and repeat it and do it as often as I can," he said. "I think it really simplified my offseason so I can be consistent and narrow-focused.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/cincinnati-...190756165.html

2. Likes:

BlackPete Ibold (02-25-2024),CrackerJack (02-25-2024),HokieRed (02-26-2024),Old school 1983 (02-25-2024),SirFelixCat (02-26-2024)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Benson

I was at the game here in Boston when it ‘clicked’ for him. That was awesome to see (along with a Barrero grand slam)!

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-26-2024)

If Benson is for real and Fraley keeps doing Fraley things, I wonder if Steer ends up platooning more than we think. He's been mortal against RHP (.777 OPS in MiLB in 2021, .765 in MiLB and MLB in 2022 and .780 in MLB in 2023). I think the most likely scenario is that Fraley gets squeezed and maybe gets moved at the deadline
    "The fact that Casali had concussions is irrelevant" ~757690

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    If Benson is for real and Fraley keeps doing Fraley things, I wonder if Steer ends up platooning more than we think. He's been mortal against RHP (.777 OPS in MiLB in 2021, .765 in MiLB and MLB in 2022 and .780 in MLB in 2023). I think the most likely scenario is that Fraley gets squeezed and maybe gets moved at the deadline
    Both should play every day against RHP, which probably means that they split time at RF and DH.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Both should play every day against RHP, which probably means that they split time at RF and DH.
    But then someone on the IF is getting squeezed since they have Candelario, CES and Marte for 1B/3B/DH. It's a good problem to have and I'm sure it will all work itself out. Just a thought I had

I don't think so.

10. Likes:

UPRedsFan (02-27-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    I don't think so.
    Care to elaborate?

Fraley has never shown the ability to play a full 150-game spread during a pro season. Last year was his first time in the triple digits for a single season, including his minor league career. He's a near lock for some IL, and may be more of a 4th OF type anyways. I am not super worried about finding AB's for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Fraley has never shown the ability to play a full 150-game spread during a pro season. Last year was his first time in the triple digits for a single season, including his minor league career. He's a near lock for some IL, and may be more of a 4th OF type anyways. I am not super worried about finding AB's for everyone.
    I'm not WORRIED about it. With injuries and ineffectiveness there will be plenty of ABs to go around and Fraley is never going to be a 150-game guy with his LHP limitations. My question is more will we see a 3 man rotation for those RHP starts in LF & RF when they are all healthy rather than giving Steer all he can handle with the others splitting. I'm not suggesting Steer will be a short side platoon player by any means but, if Bell goes that route, I can see the vision

I'm not WORRIED about it. With injuries and ineffectiveness there will be plenty of ABs to go around and Fraley is never going to be a 150-game guy with his LHP limitations. My question is more will we see a 3 man rotation for those RHP starts in LF & RF when they are all healthy rather than giving Steer all he can handle with the others splitting. I'm not suggesting Steer will be a short side platoon player by any means but, if Bell goes that route, I can see the vision
    Good question. Steer is probably a lock for LF against LH starters. That's about 3 out of 10 games for him in LF. If the full-health goal is to get everyone 8 starts out of 10 games (130 starts), he would need 5 more. So if he has 2 games at 1B/DH, and another 3 in LF, there's his 8 that leaves Benson 5 games out of 10 to take LF. Maybe Benson get's another game or two in RF/DH, so that means everybody get's their playing time. One injury really would clear the deck for even more.

Care to elaborate?
    Steer is a much better player than a platoon guy.

16. Likes:

Ky Fried Redleg (02-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Good question. Steer is probably a lock for LF against LH starters. That's about 3 out of 10 games for him in LF. If the full-health goal is to get everyone 8 starts out of 10 games (130 starts), he would need 5 more. So if he has 2 games at 1B/DH, and another 3 in LF, there's his 8 that leaves Benson 5 games out of 10 to take LF. Maybe Benson get's another game or two in RF/DH, so that means everybody get's their playing time. One injury really would clear the deck for even more.
    The reason I brought it up is I think the expectation for most would be to plan for the "best" players to play 150+ and many would put Steer in that category. It sounds like your expectation is more like 130, so I think my wondering and your expectations align

You're right. Which is why, under this hypothetical, he would not be a platoon guy but that Fraley/Benson would eat into his RHP starts. Maybe 15-20 of them. Enough to make fans shake their fist at Bell

Career 88 OPS+ vs RHP. If he's going to be a non-platoon type everyday player that needs to improve by a lot.

20. Likes:

Mitri (02-26-2024),MoneyInTheBank (02-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Career 88 OPS+ vs RHP. If he's going to be a non-platoon type everyday player that needs to improve by a lot.
    That’s interesting. I like Steer but he’s probably not an every day type. Close, but if you have guys like Benson and Fraley ready to go vs. RHPs Steer might be a DH or first guy off the bench. Let’s not forget that Steer is sort of a butcher at multiple positions. He’s a nice player but more of an in-the-mix guy than cornerstone.

It will sort itself out. I am super-intrigued by Benson and think he has earned a chance to get lots of playing time.

22. Likes:

Benihana (02-27-2024),MoneyInTheBank (02-26-2024)

Turn Off Ads?