Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Jim Day podcast

Re: The Jim Day podcast

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    The new episode with Votto is hilarious.
    Thanks for the information. I will listen now. Wow, 94 minutes in duration.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-13-2020)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Votto episode...

https://pca.st/04eukpih

5. Likes:

Fil3232 (02-12-2020),Ron Madden (02-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Votto episode...

https://pca.st/04eukpih
    That. Was. Fantastic.

7. Likes:

goreds2 (02-17-2020),Ron Madden (02-13-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Junkerson View Post
    Do you guys think it’s bad that I think Jim Day is an ass because of the time when I was 10 I saw him on the street while I was driving downtown towards RedsFest and said “HEY JIM DAY!” out the window like an excited child seeing a celebrity and he turns and in the meanest, smuggest manner says “sup...”
    Far be it from me to assume anyone whoever had a just off day should be labeled as a jerk for life..But that's the world we live in now. If you have any level of celebrity-ness you MUST never have a single moment in life where you're not feeling super chipper and willing to throw your personality out there as super cheerful 100% of every minute of your day.. Good thing I'm no celebrity..People might think I was trying out for global Hitlerism..
    That's right folks..I'm advocating for the torture of small kids and sweet little old ladies.. and CATS!

9. Likes:

Gunner44 (02-17-2020)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I thought it was odd that Joey twice expressed regret about not getting more money in his career. The first time I thought he was kidding. By the second time I was pretty sure he wasn’t. Interesting guy though.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I thought it was odd that Joey twice expressed regret about not getting more money in his career. The first time I thought he was kidding. By the second time I was pretty sure he wasn’t. Interesting guy though.
    If you thought your employer would have paid you more had you negotiated for it, wouldn't you regret it?

If you thought your employer would have paid you more had you negotiated for it, wouldn't you regret it?
    That is how I took it....dude was just being honest. In retrospect, he feels he could have got more money from the Reds, and I assume he is right. Votto knows the Reds have not pushed up against any threshold in salaries, so his salary has not hurt the Reds even a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    That is how I took it....dude was just being honest. In retrospect, he feels he could have got more money from the Reds, and I assume he is right. Votto knows the Reds have not pushed up against any threshold in salaries, so his salary has not hurt the Reds even a little bit.
    Yep, and I think he's correct.

I also think he was trying to needle people who think he is paid too much.

Also got the impression that he might step aside before the end of his contract; hence wanting that cash up-front. He alluded to in the podcast but clearly didn't want to go too far into the discussion. He was pretty clear though that he's not sure he wants to play if he's going to struggle.

It sounds to me like, save a career resurgence, Votto is unlikely to play out the final four years of his contract. He also didn't sound interested in leaving money on the table. So, who knows?

Haunted by walks

There’s something about Jim Day’s goofy little buddy personality that makes the players open up. The interviews are quite revealing.

Happy Presidents Day, Jim Day.

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-17-2020)

Is there any truth to the rumor that Jim's sister, Tamara, is going to be hired by the Reds TV crew? I mean, surely you know who she is. Everybody's heard that Tamara is another Day.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    There’s something about Jim Day’s goofy little buddy personality that makes the players open up. The interviews are quite revealing.

Happy Presidents Day, Jim Day.
    Votto is far more candid in this interview than he is in most. I do wish Jim Day would sometimes ask a follow-up question or two. Numerous times Votto said something that was pretty interesting or revealing, and then Jim Day just moves on without asking about it.

One thing I wondered about was who is the manager who asked the team to stay after the game and hang out? Votto says he did it because he was asked to, but he didn't like it. He makes a joke (but one of those jokes where you can tell he's serious) about how much time it added to his drive home.

Haunted by walks

Votto is far more candid in this interview than he is in most. I do wish Jim Day would sometimes ask a follow-up question or two. Numerous times Votto said something that was pretty interesting or revealing, and then Jim Day just moves on without asking about it.

One thing I wondered about was who is the manager who asked the team to stay after the game and hang out? Votto says he did it because he was asked to, but he didn't like it. He makes a joke (but one of those jokes where you can tell he's serious) about how much time it added to his drive home.
    That might be part of Jim Day’s secret, that he doesn’t go “60 Minutes” the moment a player says something real. He lets it go as far as it can go, which is farther than we’ve seen. Nick Senzel, for instance, has kind of a dark personality in his interview, all about eating kale and watching poker videos.

Cincinnati should have a Jim Day Day.

20. Likes:

marcshoe (02-17-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    That might be part of Jim Day’s secret, that he doesn’t go “60 Minutes” the moment a player says something real. He lets it go as far as it can go, which is farther than we’ve seen. Nick Senzel, for instance, has kind of a dark personality in his interview, all about eating kale and watching poker videos.

Cincinnati should have a Jim Day Day.
    True. Votto definitely seemed comfortable in the interview, even extending it a few times.

I thought it was refreshing how honest he was. Whether it was about money, or being a little bored during games when the team is 20 games out of first place.

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-17-2020)

I would also be curious to see Votto's paycheck.

How does payroll work for MLB players? Pay every two weeks year around? I imagine the post-tax/fee/dues check looks a lot different than expected as well.

But assuming a two week pay period, and maybe ~50% tax rate, a typical JV paycheck could be for about $480,000. Of course, it would vary by the state played in, and perhaps there are other fees and deductions, but still...I could dig that kinda money. For the year.

Turn Off Ads?