Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Jim Day podcast

Re: The Jim Day podcast

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Is there any truth to the rumor that Jim's sister, Tamara, is going to be hired by the Reds TV crew? I mean, surely you know who she is. Everybody's heard that Tamara is another Day.
    Frankly my dear, I don't give a ...
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I would also be curious to see Votto's paycheck.

How does payroll work for MLB players? Pay every two weeks year around? I imagine the post-tax/fee/dues check looks a lot different than expected as well.

But assuming a two week pay period, and maybe ~50% tax rate, a typical JV paycheck could be for about $480,000. Of course, it would vary by the state played in, and perhaps there are other fees and deductions, but still...I could dig that kinda money. For the year.
    Players are paid monthly during the regular season according to their contract. The monthly pay is the amount of his contracted divided by the (approximately) six month season. He makes $25 million this year. So, that's about $4,166,666.67 per month.

Players are not paid during spring training - aside from meal money - or after the end of the championship 162 game season. Post season money is determined by the Collective bargaining agreement (CBA.)

(I googled it.)

After FICA of 35% that's about $2,708,333.33 per month. I don't know the state tax rate although I presume he's a Florida resident (where they have no state income tax), but earning income in other states (don't really know those payroll rules either). And rest assured, he's paying Luxury Income Taxes in some locations also. Then there's SS/Medicare. Let's say that's another 10% off the top. So, a rough guess has Joey taking home about $2.3 MM a month during the season.

edit: SSI is capped, but somebody is probably still gouging him for that extra 10% somewhere.
    Last edited by Burger Beer; 02-18-2020 at 11:31 AM. Reason: exceeds SSI max

4. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-18-2020),Chip R (02-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Burger Beer View Post
    Players are paid monthly during the regular season according to their contract. The monthly pay is the amount of his contracted divided by the (approximately) six month season. He makes $25 million this year. So, that's about $4,166,666.67 per month.

Players are not paid during spring training - aside from meal money - or after the end of the championship 162 game season. Post season money is determined by the Collective bargaining agreement (CBA.)

(I googled it.)
    Interesting...that's a big check. Got to make sure to budget it to last through long off season though.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    True. Votto definitely seemed comfortable in the interview, even extending it a few times.
    Jim was ready to cut that thing about half way....made me laugh how Votto kept extending it.

7. Likes:

Reds (04-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    I would also be curious to see Votto's paycheck.
    not sure, but it must be big....he told Jim Day that he would need to do some curls before he attempted to lift it.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

This is what a typical player's check stub looks like:

Andrew McCutchen's pay stub includes lots and lots of taxes

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

CaiGuy (02-18-2020),UKFlounder (02-18-2020)

Haunted by walks

Joey Votto’s checks are probably in loonies. Looks like he has a house in California, though. But I guess that doesn’t mean it’s his primary residence for tax purposes.

https://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-joey-votto-20190109-story.html

12. Likes:

Chip R (02-18-2020)

good thing they take out that 1500.00 for 401k. Gotta think of the future, Andrew...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

14. Likes:

BoxingRed (05-12-2020),CaiGuy (02-21-2020),cincinnati chili (02-20-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Burger Beer View Post

(I googled it.)

After FICA of 35% that's about $2,708,333.33 per month. I don't know the state tax rate although I presume he's a Florida resident (where they have no state income tax), but earning income in other states (don't really know those payroll rules either). And rest assured, he's paying Luxury Income Taxes in some locations also. Then there's SS/Medicare. Let's say that's another 10% off the top. So, a rough guess has Joey taking home about $2.3 MM a month during the season.

edit: SSI is capped, but somebody is probably still gouging him for that extra 10% somewhere.
    ...and they are taxed by each municipality based on when their employer who writes the check has a game played in that city/county/burrough/state/etc., whether they play in the game or are on the disabled list. They must file and pay those taxes at the end of every year or they can be gone after in court by those municipalities. It's pretty complicated.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    This is what a typical player's check stub looks like:

Andrew McCutchen's pay stub includes lots and lots of taxes

Didn't see this post until after I had posted mine first about the taxes.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Nick Senzel added yesterday.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

18. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-24-2020)

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Nick Senzel added yesterday.
    Great interview. Dietrich accidentally calling in was classic.

20. Likes:

goreds2 (02-25-2020),Ron Madden (02-24-2020)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    Great interview. Dietrich accidentally calling in was classic.
    I’ve mentioned it before, but there’s something about Jim Day’s goofy lil’ buddy persona that gets the players to open up. To hear Senzel talk about his mom in between the video games, Dietrich, “Dr. Nick” and cooking bland chicken was stunning.

22. Likes:

goreds2 (02-25-2020),Ron Madden (02-24-2020)

Hunter Green was just added today.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Hunter Green was just added today.
    first time I have really listened to Hunter Greene. Very intelligent and well spoken young man.

Turn Off Ads?