Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keuchel and Gonzalez still unsigned

Keuchel and Gonzalez still unsigned

With both still unsigned do you offer a team friendly deal to either? Say Gonzalez 3/30mil with added incentives. Keuchel 3/36 mil with same.
    All they can do is say no. Maybe the thought of guaranteed money is better to them than their current $0 pay.

Surely Keuchel realizes he is not as hot a commodity as he thought.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keuchel and Gonzalez still unsigned

I'm guessing Keuchel has far better offers than 3/36.

I assume you mean Marwin Gonzalez? He signed with Minnesota almost a week ago. Plus the Reds have signed Dietrich and Iglesias recently.

I've heard the rumors that the Reds didn't like Keuchel's medicals, but if there is a chance he'd sign an expensive one year deal with a mutual option year (and he is totally healthy) I think I'd do it.

This coming from a guy who thinks Disco will have a good year.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

5. Likes:

Chip R (02-27-2019)

Gio Gonzales

I think the ship has sailed on both of these guys. The rotation seems pretty locked in unless a major injury pops up in the next few days. On the other hand, Kimbrell is still out there and would be a nice fit. But he’s still likely to get a big deal rather than a pillow contract.

8. Likes:

Senzling Hot (02-27-2019)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnaville View Post
    With both still unsigned do you offer a team friendly deal to either? Say Gonzalez 3/30mil with added incentives. Keuchel 3/36 mil with same.
    All they can do is say no. Maybe the thought of guaranteed money is better to them than their current $0 pay.

Surely Keuchel realizes he is not as hot a commodity as he thought.
    Keuchel will likely get more. Gonzalez will likely have to settle for a 1 year deal. Keuchel is worth quite a bot more than Gonzalez, unless those medicals are quite poor.

And just because a player hasn't signed, doesn't mean that teams aren't interested, although it is getting pretty late. Machado and Harper just signed.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Seems a market inefficiency that teams don't recognize that pitchers have different career arcs than hitters do. Pitchers' effectiveness doesn't diminish nearly as much (if at all) in their 30s vs. hitters. The Reds will hopefully recognize this and jump on it. Not sure if they ought to do that this season, but perhaps before next year.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I literally do not want any more starters signed. I want to see over the course of the season if the Mahle's, Reed's, etc. can be the replacements for guys like Wood and Roark in coming years.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

12. Likes:

TRF (02-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I literally do not want any more starters signed. I want to see over the course of the season if the Mahle's, Reed's, etc. can be the replacements for guys like Wood and Roark in coming years.
    I tend to agree. It creates a logjam for Disco, Mahle, Reed, etc. I'm intrigued about Finnegan too and comments that his velocity was back. And maybe there will be room for some starts in the 2nd half for Santillan or Vlad G. Let's see who's going to be reliable for 2020 behind Gray and Castillo. Keuchel for 3 years is tempting but maybe they could extend Wood for less money.

I would not want them to sign Gonzales but Keuchel at 1 for $25 would be a sign they are going all in for this year.

15. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-27-2019),HammerTime (02-27-2019)

I think Keuchel winds up someplace that doesn't really "need" him for something like 1/18 with a mutual option. Maybe the Dodgers given how Kershaw's spring has started...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I suspect the Reds have kicked the tires on both players and found their asking prices too far apart. Maybe the prices get closer as the spring progresses. I think the Reds need another LH starter. I am surprised that there has been so little mention of Gonzalez who is more affordable and who flourished under Johnson's tutelage.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Machado and Harper just signed.
    Harper signed?? I don't see this anywhere.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Harper signed?? I don't see this anywhere.
    He has not. Looks like it will between the Dodgers and Phillies.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-rumors-c297610378
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    He has not. Looks like it will between the Dodgers and Phillies.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-rumors-c297610378
    Yeah, and the Giants are now getting back into things too. I was worried I missed some late-breaking news.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?