Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Dick Dale

RIP Dick Dale

Surf guitar legend, Dick Dale has died.
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...317-story.html

Dang.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Likes:

texasdave (03-17-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Dick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Surf guitar legend, Dick Dale has died.
    https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...317-story.html

Dang.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-19-2019)

I refuse to believe this has happened.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

A really cool guy, and fun to watch because he played his guitar upside down. I think I've only seen five or six guys who did that.

8. Likes:

marcshoe (03-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    A really cool guy, and fun to watch because he played his guitar upside down. I think I've only seen five or six guys who did that.
    I think that's kinda the left handed way to play guitar. Paul McCartney is probably the biggest name to play it that way

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think that's kinda the left handed way to play guitar. Paul McCartney is probably the biggest name to play it that way
    No, Dick plays a right-handed guitar left-handed without restringing it. So, the bass strings are closer to the floor, which is opposite everyone else. The only other ones off the top of my head that do that are Albert King and Doyle Brimhall, but there are a few others. Jimi Hendrix did not, although it's a rumor that he did.

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    No, Dick plays a right-handed guitar left-handed without restringing it. So, the bass strings are closer to the floor, which is opposite everyone else. The only other ones off the top of my head that do that are Albert King and Doyle Brimhall, but there are a few others. Jimi Hendrix did not, although it's a rumor that he did.
    So guys like Paul McCartney restring their guitars to make them left handed? You learn something everyday...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    So guys like Paul McCartney restring their guitars to make them left handed? You learn something everyday...
    Yes, because especially in the 50's and 60's, it was difficult to find a real left-handed guitar. It wasn't obvious on a lot of guitars, but if you do it to an acoustic guitar, the pick guard is on the top and it looks weird. My dad had to do the same thing for his guitar and fiddle, but I was right-handed so we hand to have two of everything.

I read an article yesterday in which he said he started the upside-down thing accidentally because he had won a cheap ukulele and didn't know any better.

Dale’s unique guitar technique—he played left-handed, but unlike other lefties like Jimi Hendrix, left his guitars strung for right-handed players, so the high strings were closest to the top of the guitar—came from youth, ignorance, and ukuleles, as he explained to Miami New Times in 2011:

I was reading a Superman magazine and it said: Sell so many jars of Noxzema skin cream and we’ll send you this ukulele. And I got it. But it was a piece of crap, so I filled a red wagon with a bunch of Pepsi and Coke bottles, went down to the store, cashed them, and I got a basic ukulele for $6. … when I started playing the guitar, I used the ukulele chords. Plus, I held the ukulele upside-down when I first got it. You know, the book didn’t say: Turn it the other way, stupid. You’re left handed. And that’s how I started playing upside-down backwards ‘cause all my rhythm was in my left hand.
    The article goes on to talk about Leo Fender building an amp for him because he was blowing out the ones he was using.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/03/di...-cqp5S09yMKans
    Last edited by marcshoe; 03-18-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-19-2019),M2 (03-18-2019)

When I was 11 years old, I asked my guitar teacher to teach me how to play "Misirlou" (probably because it was on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack). He refused and said "it's all just reverb and fast picking" and he taught me Beatles songs instead.

My guitar teacher was wrong.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-19-2019),M2 (03-18-2019),marcshoe (03-18-2019),Rojo (03-20-2019)

Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-19-2019 at 04:32 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I can't believe I never noticed that surfer music was of Arabian origin.

So this guy, this one guy, changed the culture of the entire World. Amazing.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

Algebra says hello.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

Yeah, I remember reading a story about him a few years ago that mentioned his dad was Syrian and that influenced his music. Then I listened to Miserlou and it's like "duh".

RIP Dick Dale, not only did you shred but your death and need to tour to prevent it is a now a scar we all bear

23. Likes:

SunDeck (03-23-2019)

Turn Off Ads?