Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Dick Dale

Re: RIP Dick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    No, Dick plays a right-handed guitar left-handed without restringing it. So, the bass strings are closer to the floor, which is opposite everyone else. The only other ones off the top of my head that do that are Albert King and Doyle Brimhall, but there are a few others. Jimi Hendrix did not, although it's a rumor that he did.
    I thought Hendrix restrung, which is what gives those riffs such an interesting quality, due to the length of the strings being the opposite of what the strat was designed for. At least watching him I can figure out the tabs. With Dale, it's truly hopeless.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Heard yesterday that Eddie Van Halen was a huge Dick Dale fan, made him want to play himself. So just think if there had been no Dick Dale on guitar there might have been no aeddie Van Halen.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-25-2019)

Two things I want to add:

1) Remember seeing a documentary on Dale many years back in which he credited Gene Krupa with being a major influence on him. He wanted to be to the guitar what Krupa was to the drums.

2) I'm planning on going to the beach in Qunicy, MA this summer (where Dale hailed from) and spending the whole day listening to his music.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-25-2019),Kingspoint (03-25-2019),SunDeck (03-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I thought Hendrix restrung, which is what gives those riffs such an interesting quality, due to the length of the strings being the opposite of what the strat was designed for. At least watching him I can figure out the tabs. With Dale, it's truly hopeless.
    He did restring, so he plays the guitar just as you or I would, with the high E string closest to the floor. Dale didn’t restring, so the guitar was upside down.

Jimmy experimented with the guitar set up more than anybody else back in those days, and flipping the guitar over definitely changes the tension of the strings. But it also causes a host of other problems with intonation, so he must’ve done something to deal with that too, although I’m not a guitar gadget expert. But it’s clear he tweaked a lot of things to get the sound that he wanted.

My second favorite after Jimi is Stevie Ray Vaughan, and he was another guy with an odd set up. He tuned his guitar to E flat because that’s what he like to sing in, and also use very heavy gauge strings. He had very strong hands to compensate for that, but it makes it difficult for mortals like us to duplicate his sound.

Jimi Hendrix is another lefty that played a right handed guitar. His guitars were strung backwards but supposedly he could pick up a right handed strung one as well and play it flawlessly.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?