Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Season Discussion

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Re: 2019 MLB Season Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    I thought I saw the base of the deal was around $40M and it could be worth up to $77M. This is the type of deal I hope they end up with Senzel.
    I really like Senzel, but I see a lower floor to Senzel than I do Eloy Jimenez. I would like for him prove that he can play a full season with his vertigo issues before I locked him in to this kind of deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Welcome the Opening Day Roster Eloy.

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I actually thought it was tomorrow. No, they are still really bad at marketing the game.
    FWIW, whatever "marketing" was done was with regard to Ichiro's (presumed) Farewell Game, which is the 2nd of the two games.

I was aware that the MLB season started with a game earlier today, but I also had no intention of giving any dams until the game that is tomorrow. Or later tonight. And replayed tomorrow. Or whatever. I'm pretty sure it'll be memorable TV whenever I get around to seeing it.

Mookie Betts confirmed a report by MLB Network insider Joel Sherman for the New York Post that he rejected Boston’s eight-year, $200 million extension offer following the 2017 season.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/mookie-bett...-trout-signing

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

nm
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Rays To Extend Blake Snell

The Rays have reached an agreement on a five-year, $50MM contract with reigning Cy Young winner Blake Snell, Jeff Passan of ESPN reports (on Twitter). There are no options included on the contract, which will buy out all of Snell’s arbitration seasons and what would have been his first free-agent year. Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets that Snell’s deal does not include a no-trade clause. Snell is represented by Sosnick, Cobbe & Karon.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    This is a great deal for the Rays. We know he will not complete the contract in Tampa Bay. He will, however, be a valuable trade commodity because of the reasonable cost.

Does Blake Snell have an agent? Was he roofied?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Does Blake Snell have an agent? Was he roofied?
    Seemed low but he’s only got 3 years in and now he’s set for life....so he’s ok

Just because

12. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-22-2019),Edd Roush (03-21-2019),Old school 1983 (03-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Seemed low but he’s only got 3 years in and now he’s set for life....so he’s ok
    It's the rich man's version of a payday lender. He's losing a ton of money in that last year, assuming he's not injured.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Blake Snell was talking about how this went down. He said his agent went to the Rays with the deal and the Rays said yes. That was the extent of the talks. I am sure now they wished they asked for more.

It is the largest contract for a non arbitration eligible pitcher. edit
    Last edited by InsaneinthBrame; 03-22-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Blake Snell was talking about how this went down. He said his agent went to the Rays with the deal and the Rays said yes. That was the extent of the talks. I am sure now they wished they asked for more.

It is the largest contract for a non arbitration eligible pitcher. edit
    He learned the lesson of Lincecum. Sometimes security for a pitcher is good.
    https://www.12up.com/posts/4265380-6...huge-contracts

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    It's the rich man's version of a payday lender. He's losing a ton of money in that last year, assuming he's not injured.
    Set for life guaranteed or set for life and more IF I don’t get injured or show decline

The Rays got a great bargain (on paper) and Snell has no financial worries for life after just 3 seasons

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Red Sox, Chris Sale Close To Contract Extension

The Red Sox and ace Chris Sale are closing in on an extension agreement that’ll keep Sale in Boston “for years to come,” Alex Speier of the Boston Globe reports.
    11:45am: The extension, if finalized, is expected to land in the range of $150MM over a five-year term, per ESPN’s Jeff Passan (Twitter link).
    Last edited by WrongVerb; 03-22-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?