Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MLB Season Discussion

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2019 MLB Season Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Is that good?
    Can't throw more grounders. Bust.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    if it were possible for me to feel sorry for someone on the Cardinals, I might have felt sorry for him when he's still out there when the grounds crew comes out. However, it just made me laugh.
    Did the grounds crew roll the tarp over him?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I’m sure there’s a guy on here who has a connection to Walker Beuhler. There’s going to be a few teams, including the Reds, who will regret passing on him. Hindsight is cruel.

The Reds letting Senzel stay in the minors for as long as they did was a bit of malpractice, but there were circumstantial factors like his injuries. What excuse do the Mets have for letting Peter Alonso stay in the minors until he was 24? Dude's a beast, he should have been up with the Mets a year earlier.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Homer has turned it around in June. 5 starts - 2.51 ERA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The Reds letting Senzel stay in the minors for as long as they did was a bit of malpractice, but there were circumstantial factors like his injuries. What excuse do the Mets have for letting Peter Alonso stay in the minors until he was 24? Dude's a beast, he should have been up with the Mets a year earlier.
    I give the Mets credit for calling him up on day one and not messing around with his service time.

He had 30 games above Single A going into last year. He also wasn’t on anyone’s top 100 prospect lists until this off season. It seems he snuck under everyone’s radar.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I give the Mets credit for calling him up on day one and not messing around with his service time.

He had 30 games above Single A going into last year. He also wasn’t on anyone’s top 100 prospect lists until this off season. It seems he snuck under everyone’s radar.
    I call them as I see it and I have to agree here. Had the Mets held him down to start the year one would have an argument that he was manipulated. (Of course that’s something that happens all the time)

No shame in him spending 2018 in the minors. And I’m not gonna be upset that he didn’t get a late season callup.

9. Likes:

mth123 (06-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    No shame in him spending 2018 in the minors. And I’m not gonna be upset that he didn’t get a late season callup.
    I think you gotta look at the context though. Alonso went through AA like a hot knife through butter, and the Mets we’re trying to win games last year and running Wilmer Flores and the corpse of Adrian Gonzalez out there at 1B. I just don’t get why Alonso had to go to Las Vegas and predictably put up big PCL stats.

To be clear I’m not accusing the Mets of service time shenanigans, I’m accusing them of being dumb and not recognizing a true talent.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Mets say sorry after Vargas, Callaway blow up on reporter

The Mets issued an apology to a reporter who became the target of a blowup by manager Mickey Callaway and pitcher Jason Vargas in a chaotic clubhouse scene on Sunday.

Callaway initially targeted Newsday’s Tim Healey before Vargas threatened to “knock [Healey] the f–k out” after the Mets’ bullpen imploded in a 5-3 loss to the Cubs in Chicago.

“The Mets sincerely regret the incident that took place with one of our beat writers following today’s game in the clubhouse,” the Mets said in a statement.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Homer has turned it around in June. 5 starts - 2.51 ERA.
    Overall he's been almost as good as Sonny Gray.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Overall he's been almost as good as Sonny Gray.
    'almost' is doing a lot of work here

I think you gotta look at the context though. Alonso went through AA like a hot knife through butter, and the Mets we’re trying to win games last year and running Wilmer Flores and the corpse of Adrian Gonzalez out there at 1B. I just don’t get why Alonso had to go to Las Vegas and predictably put up big PCL stats.

To be clear I’m not accusing the Mets of service time shenanigans, I’m accusing them of being dumb and not recognizing a true talent.
    I’m not going to go to the mat on this one but I just don’t see the point last year where the Mets had to call him up. His promotion to AAA came around June 1 when the Mets were at .500 or so. Come July 1 they were 15 games under .500. It could be said that they should have called him straight up after his red hot 60 game AA stint to start the year, but I can’t get behind LOL Mets malpractice here. If anything hat tip for not playing service time games to start the year...something I’d probably have done differently myself.

'almost' is doing a lot of work here
    Most stats are really close. What are you looking at otherwise

Note: I can’t stand Homer Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post

4.03 and 4.61 ERA are really close?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post

ERA/FIP/xFIP

Homer 4.62/4.12/4.52

Sonny 4.03/3.58/3.61

Turn Off Ads?