Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds claim Jose Lopez; DFA Finnegan

Re: Reds claim Jose Lopez; DFA Finnegan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That's perfectly fine criticism, but the post at hand suggested the mistake was in trading Cueto at all. That's supposed to be a better plan than getting back a top 100 prospect like Finnegan and a guy who became a top 100 prospect like Reed?

Unlike the Chapman trade where the talent in return was substandard, I actually don't think the problem in the Cueto trade was the talent itself but rather the development of the talent.
    I can't speak for anyone else but to use Chapman as an example, although I feel he definitely should have been traded, I could easily argue that if all we got back was Rookie Davis and chaff then we would have been better served to keep him.

As for the Reds developing talent, you make a valid point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Agreed, that's the plain and simple fact for nearly every deal during that 2015-2016 selloff period.
    Personally, the Cueto situation always bothered me the most. As you’ll recall it was widely believed Reds were trying to remain credible through the Cincy ASG. So they held Cueto — who couldn’t realistically gain trade value in 2015 after that magnificent 2014 season. Instead he lost value and this incredible asset was traded for a “pretty good” package.

Sorry it didn’t work out for Finnegan (so far), but that one still stings.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-28-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Well, he's in a real Sticky Finnegan.

Had to use it one more time.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

5. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (03-29-2019),Hoosier Red (04-01-2019),Red Raindog (03-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I think we can just about call that trade a bust now.
    No, there is another - Yoda

I like it when the team cuts bait. If you want to succeed at baseball, you need to be cutthroat. You can't linger on romantic notions of what you thought a guy might have been. Get rid of that guy and find the next thing.

Note that in the year the Reds traded for Finnegan, the New York Mets and Kansas City Royals played in the World Series. Only three seasons have passed since then. The Mets are already looking to come out the other side of a rebuild and the Royals are now deep in the tank.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Crumbley (03-28-2019),Kingspoint (03-28-2019),mbgrayson (03-29-2019),Mitri (03-28-2019),TheBigLebowski (03-28-2019),Tracy Jones (03-29-2019)

Yes, our old Jose Lopez. And Finnegan’s fall from grace is complete

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I like it when the team cuts bait. If you want to succeed at baseball, you need to be cutthroat. You can't linger on romantic notions of what you thought a guy might have been. Get rid of that guy and find the next thing.

Note that in the year the Reds traded for Finnegan, the New York Mets and Kansas City Royals played in the World Series. Only three seasons have passed since then. The Mets are already looking to come out the other side of a rebuild and the Royals are now deep in the tank.
    There's nothing worse than trying to chase a Reliever's best season, which 90% of the time takes place in his first three years with a Club.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Honestly, who cares at this point if it was or wasn’t? They got really good assets at the time and they didn’t pan out.

Welcome to pro baseball.
    Can’t lose a trade that badly and hope to continue being a success. I know, I know, new braintrust

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Cutting ties with Finnegan seems like a very good way to start a new season fresh. Solid juju move.

Adding Lopez is sweet too.
    Lopez' MiLB stats aren't too shabby. Glad he's back.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

12. Likes:

marcshoe (03-29-2019)

The Reds ruined Finnegan and Reed with the way they handled the rotation the last three years. I'm not sure if the problem was the trade or the subsequent abuse.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

14. Likes:

757690 (03-29-2019),Chip R (03-29-2019),Indymoon (03-29-2019),Kingspoint (03-29-2019),Revering4Blue (03-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    No, there is another - Yoda
    Cody Reed is more Jar Jar Binks than Leia Organa

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The KC package, including Finnegan, was good. But Reds should have traded Cueto in the 2014 off-season after his 243 inning, Cy Young runner up, 20-win, healthy, magnificent season.

Cueto was retained deep into 2015, perhaps because of the All Star Game in Cincy, He had some elbow concerns that season which couldn’t have helped his trade value. The package received from KC was good, but Cueto should have brought a great return.

Reds knew Cueto was leaving, he was an impending FA, they were heading toward a rebuild. Finnegan was a good young pitcher but - many thought ultimately a reliever, and eventually injuries hurt him.
    To me, that's the biggest factor. He wasn't going to be a Red moving forward anyway...Reds weren't going to pay him what he could demand.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    To me, that's the biggest factor. He wasn't going to be a Red moving forward anyway...Reds weren't going to pay him what he could demand.
    I hear this a lot. It’s true they weren’t going to pay Cueto. True enough. But you have to get something. Even if it’s just one useful arm out of it. You can’t choke away deal like that.

18. Likes:

Benihana (03-30-2019),redsrule2500 (04-02-2019),Sea Ray (03-29-2019)

Traded too late, should have just taken a draft pick.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I hear this a lot. It’s true they weren’t going to pay Cueto. True enough. But you have to get something. Even if it’s just one useful arm out of it. You can’t choke away deal like that.
    Quantity over quality seemed to be the mantra of the Reds during the rebuild. It is as if they didn't trust their evaluations and wanted the largest package of prospects they could land rather than the package with the best prospect. It's pretty much akin to their practice of throwing their own prospects against the wall at the major league level to see who might stick because they weren't sure who was ready.

I sure hope those days are long gone.

21. Likes:

Benihana (03-30-2019),Falls City Beer (03-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Jones View Post
    Cody Reed is more Jar Jar Binks than Leia Organa
    You can't say that until you see him in a gold bikini.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

23. Likes:

M2 (03-29-2019),Number_Fourteen (03-30-2019),Old school 1983 (03-30-2019)

Turn Off Ads?