Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds claim Jose Lopez; DFA Finnegan

Re: Reds claim Jose Lopez; DFA Finnegan

I still think we'll end up with Cueto next year as the Giants dump salary.
    Where we gonna go?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Cutting ties with Finnegan seems like a very good way to start a new season fresh. Solid juju move.

Adding Lopez is sweet too.
    Yeah I think there’s something to be said for setting new expectations, because if you put aside the prior history and look solely at performance Finnegan was an obvious cut candidate. Like, at least BobSteve could still get outs in Triple A when he was there, something Finnegan couldn’t say.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

OGB (03-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I still think we'll end up with Cueto next year as the Giants dump salary.
    I can't imagine that Reds would be interested. He has 22 million due in each of 2020, and 2021, and 5 million buy out for 2022, and he's 33 now, will be 34 on opening day. Giants would have to eat about 75% of that before I'd even consider it.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

When weighing the results of that trade, don't forget that Cueto was very poor the rest of the regular season for KC (although he did well in the ALDS and WS I think).

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    You get good MLB player back for someone like that or don't trade and eat the losses. These minor league prospects rarely work out.
    Nobody trades major league players for 2-3 month rentals.

Hell they barely trade halfway decent prospects for them anymore.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-29-2019),Ron Madden (03-29-2019)

The KC package, including Finnegan, was good. But Reds should have traded Cueto in the 2014 off-season after his 243 inning, Cy Young runner up, 20-win, healthy, magnificent season.

Cueto was retained deep into 2015, perhaps because of the All Star Game in Cincy, He had some elbow concerns that season which couldn’t have helped his trade value. The package received from KC was good, but Cueto should have brought a great return.

Reds knew Cueto was leaving, he was an impending FA, they were heading toward a rebuild. Finnegan was a good young pitcher but - many thought ultimately a reliever, and eventually injuries hurt him.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-28-2019 at 03:51 PM.

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Honestly, who cares at this point if it was or wasn’t? They got really good assets at the time and they didn’t pan out.

Welcome to pro baseball.
    C'mon now...At the time of a trade like this we're told "you can't judge the trade now. Wait a few yrs and then we'll see."

Now we've waited a few years and we're told "Who cares? Welcome to pro baseball."

At some point we ought to be allowed to judge a trade.

12. Likes:

Benihana (03-30-2019),Big Klu (03-28-2019),Bob Sheed (03-29-2019),Crumbley (03-28-2019),cumberlandreds (03-28-2019),Falls City Beer (03-28-2019),RedsBrick (03-29-2019),texasdave (03-28-2019),TheBigLebowski (03-28-2019),Tracy Jones (03-29-2019)

Reds rebuild failed because of Stephenson and Finnegan, three years ago the Reds anticipated them making up 40% of the 2019 Reds rotation.

14. Likes:

Hoosier Red (04-01-2019),RedsfaninMT (03-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So what should have done with Cueto?

The trade winded up crapping out, but it was still the correct course of action.
    The correct course of action is to get better players. The correct course of action was to trade Aroldis Chapman but the idea was to trade him for Gleyber Torres and not Rookie Davis

16. Likes:

Falls City Beer (03-28-2019),RedsRocker (03-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    David Price:

Boyd is a 4th starter at best, Norris is a walking injury bug, and Labourt is out of their organization.

I can't say that trade was a ringing success either.
    The Tigers gave us an All Star 3B for Alfredo Simon. Why are you suggesting we look to them as how to run a franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The correct course of action is to get better players. The correct course of action was to trade Aroldis Chapman but the idea was to trade him for Gleyber Torres and not Rookie Davis
    That's perfectly fine criticism, but the post at hand suggested the mistake was in trading Cueto at all. That's supposed to be a better plan than getting back a top 100 prospect like Finnegan and a guy who became a top 100 prospect like Reed?

Unlike the Chapman trade where the talent in return was substandard, I actually don't think the problem in the Cueto trade was the talent itself but rather the development of the talent.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

Chip R (03-29-2019),OGB (03-30-2019),Revering4Blue (03-29-2019),Ron Madden (03-29-2019),TRF (03-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That's perfectly fine criticism, but the post at hand suggested the mistake was in trading Cueto at all. That's supposed to be a better plan than getting back a top 100 prospect like Finnegan and a guy who became a top 100 prospect like Reed?

Unlike the Chapman trade where the talent in return was substandard, I actually don't think the problem in the Cueto trade was the talent itself but rather the development of the talent.
    From the outset, many thought Finnegan was a reliever. He was a very good prospect, but I wouldn’t call him elite. The Reds should have obtained elite for Cueto, they waited too long and for no good reason IMO.

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    they waited too long and for no good reason IMO.
    Agreed, that's the plain and simple fact for nearly every deal during that 2015-2016 selloff period.

23. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-29-2019),Ron Madden (03-29-2019)

What happened to Finnegan (other than the injury and a prolonged bout of pout)?

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    What happened to Finnegan (other than the injury and a prolonged bout of pout)?
    Always had control problems. And if you're walking guys like crazy it probably means you're also wild inside the strike zone. The only way you can succeed like this is if you have unbelievable stuff.

26. Likes:

Falls City Beer (03-28-2019)

Turn Off Ads?