Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 In-season Thread for What You Are Happy About with Regard to the Reds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2019 In-season Thread for What You Are Happy About with Regard to the Reds

Not aimed at any one person, but given that so many posters on here have their own sacred cows they like to dig in on with regard to criticisms, and as a result so many threads are rooted in the unhappy at their outset, thought we could try a running thread for what is making you HAPPY. I am kinda hoping this can be a thread that people might use and bump throughout the season, if there are things that do indeed make you happy about the Reds. I am also envisioning people responding to each other and interacting on the happy things. Happily.

Here are some happy musings from me to get us started.

1. I like David Bell's possible over-managing. There, I said it. At least, it was clear the man had data and wasn't afraid to act on it. May not have worked out. May not work out next time. But for the first time I think, in my 48 years rooting for this team, I feel like there is a data friendly manager in place. The Lorenzen to CF thing was also FUN.

****Hidden suspicion - that Sparky was probably more data-friendly given his era than he is given credit for, fwiw.

2. I liked a line-up with Puig in it. Even though he didn't get a hit, he battled like heck in his first at-bat before Taillion got him a nasty sinking 96 mph fastball. He had bad luck in the second at-bat, and generally with his size just felt like a threat in the 3-hole. Votto sure seemed to enjoy hitting in front of him. I also LOVED how he was the first one at top of dugout with a full joy celebration as Dietrich came back after the home run. A Reds team with emotion again...yes please.

3. I like having a bench.

4. I liked the confidence that Castillo pitched with.

5. I am happy to see what looks like a continued step forward for Peraza, and am happy that he so willingly and ably switched positions to help cover Scooter's injury.

6. I am happy to see GABP may help Jose Iglesias a bit with the stick. I suspected it might. I have actually had to play him some in fantasy the last few years (deep leagues and poor planning on my part) and as a consequence watched his stats closer than most humans should. He has just enough pop that GABP as opposed to Comerica will help him, I think, at least enough to help cover the team until Scooter is back without an abysmal drop-off.

7. I was so happy to see that many fans in the park - and into the game. The noise level was fun. First time in a long time I felt sad to not be at a game, living on the east coast as I do now. A little of the energy that FCC has during its games could bleed into GABP and everyone would be better for it. Baseball parks should not be funereal. I am hoping Puig is the spark for this candle.

8. I am happy to hear that Senzel's ankle injury is not nearly as bad as feared.

9. I am happy that for the first time in years I am genuinely curious about what comes next as the season plays out.

So, that's my happy list following opening day. Feel free to respond to it, add your own, let it die as a stupid idea, or whatever. Like I said, maybe we can keep this beach ball in the air (something that actually also makes me happy when it happens at games although I know it annoys other people) for awhile this year, and give us all a place to exchange thoughts and what not about how the team is unfolding.

--Aaron
    Last edited by membengal; 03-29-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

2. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (03-29-2019),CanadianRedsFan (03-30-2019),Cherokee (03-29-2019),cumberlandreds (04-01-2019),Goose (03-30-2019),goreds2 (03-29-2019),Hillsdale87 (03-29-2019),M2 (03-29-2019),malcontent (03-30-2019),redhawkfish (03-29-2019),RichRed (03-31-2019),RiverRat13 (03-29-2019),Ron Madden (03-30-2019),WildcatFan (04-05-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: 2019 In-season Thread for What You Are Happy About with Regard to the Reds

I'm just happy the team seems competitive after the past several seasons and especially out of the gate last year when it was clear the team wasn't prepared to go full throttle.

I'm also happy that the team has a legitimate bench for the first time in ages. That's going to make a huge difference this season.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

4. Likes:

goreds2 (03-29-2019),Ron Madden (03-30-2019),Roy Tucker (03-29-2019),SunDeck (04-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I'm just happy the team seems competitive after the past several seasons and especially out of the gate last year when it was clear the team wasn't prepared to go full throttle.

I'm also happy that the team has a legitimate bench for the first time in ages. That's going to make a huge difference this season.
    The 1990 World Series team had a wonderful bench. The 1999 surprise team did too. A good bench for this team just feels like a hidden indicator of potential good things.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

6. Likes:

goreds2 (03-29-2019),Hoosier Red (03-29-2019),Ron Madden (03-30-2019)

Every winning Reds team of the past 20 years had some quality on the bench. I like that Dietrich gives them a LH bat option (and that his hair is bulletproof). I like that Casali forms more of a true platoon with Barnhart. I like that Iglesias plays legit defense.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

goreds2 (03-29-2019),HokieRed (04-01-2019),membengal (03-29-2019),Ron Madden (03-30-2019),SunDeck (04-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Every winning Reds team of the past 20 years had some quality on the bench. I like that Dietrich gives them a LH bat option (and that his hair is bulletproof). I like that Casali forms more of a true platoon with Barnhart. I like that Iglesias plays legit defense.
    Old guy fond memories of Jeff Reed helping Joe Oliver...

10. Likes:

goreds2 (03-29-2019),M2 (03-29-2019)

I'm happy they aren't tanking again.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

membengal (03-30-2019),Ron Madden (03-30-2019)

Some of the things I appreciate about the Reds that haven't been mentioned so far:

1. Joey Votto's wit-- and excellence.
    He's a first-class troll with Hall of Fame timing and the best interview in the game. Oh, and he's probably the best hitter the game has had over the past decade.

2. Hunter Greene is a Red. For at least a few years.
    He's going to be good, assuming injuries don't derail his career too far. And he's an absolutely glorious individual. I'm happy he's a Red.

3. Williams has pretty much delivered on his plan-- so far. For the most part. Kind of.
    He said they'd spend money on analytics. He's proven adept at making modest deals for big-time production. He's hired good numbers guys, seemingly. We'd all prefer they spend money like the Yankees, but... well, that wouldn't be Cincinnati, would it?

4. The outfield looks really good-- on paper.
    Winker's a 400 OBP guy. Kemp has pop and a good idea of what to do at the plate. Senzel will eventually be healthy. Schebler's a 110 wRC+ bat as a fourth OF... and could possibly be more. And then there's Puig. Lots to love there.

14. Likes:

membengal (03-30-2019),Ron Madden (03-30-2019)

Robert Stephenson's 7th inning on Sunday made me happy. A real glimmer there.

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-01-2019),goreds2 (04-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Robert Stephenson's 7th inning on Sunday made me happy. A real glimmer there.
    I watched that inning during halftime of UK's game. Man he looked good. If they can bottle that then the Reds really have something with him. I'm hoping this new pitching coach is finding the magic with him and others.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

18. Likes:

goreds2 (04-01-2019)

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I'm with everyone else - love the actual "bench."

Excited for Roark. Guy should provide a lot of good innings and provide the bullpen some relief while keeping the team in games.

I think the bullpen is going to be great. I don't think everyone shares that opinion, but I like it. It may be the perfect spot for Bob S.

Puig didn't pop of any highlight reel moments yet, but he drew a very veteran walk early yesterday. First called strike was low and away. He protested - slightly - then took almost the exact same pitch for ball 4 on a full count.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

20. Likes:

membengal (04-01-2019)

Said same about that Puig at-bat in the game thread. Totally worked a walk there on a day when baserunners were hard to come by.

I said nice things about Roark when I bumped the Roark trade thread during spring training. I am also really looking forward to his debut tonight.

22. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (04-01-2019)

Votto- 2 games and 2 doubles. I like that! Very 2012esque!

24. Likes:

M2 (04-01-2019),membengal (04-01-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Votto- 2 games and 2 doubles. I like that! Very 2012esque!
    I think doubles are the key with him. When Joey's stroking doubles, it usually means he's locked in. I don't think two games tells us that, but 40+ doubles for Joey this season probably means he's brought his A game.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

26. Likes:

CaiGuy (04-02-2019),Chip R (04-01-2019),cumberlandreds (04-01-2019),membengal (04-01-2019),Revering4Blue (04-03-2019),Ron Madden (04-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think doubles are the key with him. When Joey's stroking doubles, it usually means he's locked in. I don't think two games tells us that, but 40+ doubles for Joey this season probably means he's brought his A game.
    I don't think he'd admit it, but I suspect it must have been a drag to be Joey Votto playing on that terrible team last year. There has to be something said for the boost one gets, feeling as though he's surrounded by performers. Obviously, being followed in the batting order by a guy who the opposition doesn't particularly want to face anymore than you is a boost too, but the mental approach when your team isn't the complete suck may help a guy lock in a little bit better, even one of the league's elite hitters. To me, doubles are things of beauty, a squared up barrel knocking the ball solidly so that it jumps into the gap with such speed that no one can touch it until it bounces off the wall. A double says the hitter is seeing the ball well and is in sync; I'll take Joey Votto hitting a ton of them anytime.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I'm happy that Votto went back to using "Paint it Black" as his walk-up music

29. Likes:

CaiGuy (04-02-2019),M2 (04-01-2019),Old school 1983 (04-01-2019),Revering4Blue (04-02-2019)

Turn Off Ads?