Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: BILLY HAMILTON

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: BILLY HAMILTON

Quote Originally Posted by Driver62 View Post
    So tell me again how much better a hitter Shebler is than Hamilton. He is 1 for the season as is Winker and Votto is hitting under .200. They added different players like Kemp and Puig and still get the same results.

Before anyone jumps on me for not being a true fan, I started following the Reds back in 1947 so that's before most of you were born and probably before some of your parents were born. I also played the game until I was 58 and my knees gave out. I know baseball but some of the so called experts on here will bash me and I don't care. I know bad baseball when I see it and you should too.

So bash away.
    You may know baseball, but you don't really know baseball.

You are basing his stats on a small sample size. He'll hit better. He really will. They always do.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TruebluJR View Post
    I'm new here. The blue in my name is because I'm a lifelong UK fan as well.

Anyways, in regards to Billy Hamilton, does anyone think he might have stayed healthier and possibly been a better hitter if he would have stayed at Shortstop or Second? He's a first rate defensive player anywhere he plays. but His many diving catches and bounces off of the wall, caused him to have a number of injuries to his shoulders and other parts of his body that could have impacted his abilities at the plate. Just a thought.
    He likely would have been a little more healthy, but nothing during his career would lead me to believe that would have made him a better hitter. He is what he is at this point.

Anyways, in regards to Billy Hamilton, does anyone think he might have stayed healthier and possibly been a better hitter if he would have stayed at Shortstop or Second? He's a first rate defensive player anywhere he plays. but His many diving catches and bounces off of the wall, caused him to have a number of injuries to his shoulders and other parts of his body that could have impacted his abilities at the plate. Just a thought.
    No. He can't hit because he's got a small frame and no strength. He has poor mechanics, plate discipline, and his swing produces too many pop flies.
    I think there's also evidence he's never worked very hard on improving his offensive game.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

5. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (04-11-2019),Chip R (04-11-2019),TeamSelig (04-11-2019)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He said last year he was only going to steal against catchers who were at a certain caught stealing percentage or below. Now, whether that was something he decided to do on his own or was told to do that by coach(es) or the manager(s) I don't know.
    I think it's based on that if you are successful stealing only 75% (it may be slightly lower) of the time, it's a break even proposition. So, base runners need to be successful 80-85% of the time to be a difference maker. Trying to steal against catchers who are actually good at throwing out runners is not likely to increase scoring.

7. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-11-2019)

Haunted by walks

Billy was carted off the field today after hitting the outfield wall.

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-11-2019)

With the Mariners trailing 6-4 with two outs and two on, Mitch Haniger lifted a fly ball to deep center field that Hamilton appeared to have tracked for the final out.

But the ball caromed off Hamilton’s glove and off the wall for a two-run triple that tied the score. As Hamilton retrieved the ball, he appeared to twist his left knee.

There was no immediate report on Hamilton’s condition. Manager Ned Yost said he had not spoken yet to the Royals’ medical staff and would not speculate on the type or seriousness of the injury.

https://www.mlb.com/news/billy-hamil...me-with-injury
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-11-2019 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PERHitKing View Post
    I think most of Billy's problems at the plate extend from managements insistence that he switch hit, instead of batting right handed. Which is his natural and strong side. I read that for the last 3 years he has been asking to switch back to being a right handed hitter but management would not budge on the idea of him switch hitting. I think in the long run the Reds were foolish not to offer him a contract for 2019.
    If he were anything near a decent hitter from the right side, they'd never have asked him to try to switch hit.
    Last edited by Norm Chortleton; 04-11-2019 at 06:10 PM.

12. Likes:

DocRed (04-11-2019),mth123 (04-11-2019),Revering4Blue (04-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    With the Mariners trailing 6-4 with two outs and two on, Mitch Haniger lifted a fly ball to deep center field that Hamilton appeared to have tracked for the final out.

But the ball caromed off Hamilton’s glove and off the wall for a two-run triple that tied the score. As Hamilton retrieved the ball, he appeared to twist his left knee.

There was no immediate report on Hamilton’s condition. Manager Ned Yost said he had not spoken yet to the Royals’ medical staff and would not speculate on the type or seriousness of the injury.

https://www.mlb.com/news/billy-hamil...me-with-injury
    That sucks.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Welcome.
    Billy was NOT an outstanding shortstop. I'm not much of a judge of infield defense, but it was obvious to even me that his footwork was terrible. I'm sure others who have a better eye than I do for this sort of thing can chime in. Don't get me wrong, he was always fun to watch.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by PERHitKing View Post
    I think most of Billy's problems at the plate extend from managements insistence that he switch hit, instead of batting right handed. Which is his natural and strong side. I read that for the last 3 years he has been asking to switch back to being a right handed hitter but management would not budge on the idea of him switch hitting. I think in the long run the Reds were foolish not to offer him a contract for 2019.
    In the sense that they would have "had a centerfielder" I guess that might have made them better, but I'll dissagree. I think releasing Hamilton demonstrated that the reds were serious about change and I believe that meant more to the franchise than any value that Billy would have given to this year's team which is already so top heavy with outfielders that Phil Ervin was sent down after having one of the best spring training campaigns in memory. I mean...I just assumed they were going to reup Billy. When they let him walk it made me sit up and start paying attention this last offseason.

Billy Hamilton was the funnest players I ever got to watch play the game. I just wish he had been better at it.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

17. Likes:

KYExtemper (04-11-2019)

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

MLB.COM says that Hamilton has a mild left knee sprain and is day to day. Good news!

19. Likes:

marcshoe (04-11-2019),Ron Madden (04-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I think there's also evidence he's never worked very hard on improving his offensive game.
    Never heard such evidence. And this article provide evidence in the contrary.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...e-up/84216160/

Billy Hamilton: Joey Votto's 'building me up'

He hears something different from Votto.

“He told me this was the best he’s ever seen my swing, the best I’ve seen your confidence,” Hamilton said. “He’s been building me up. Everybody tells me I can’t hit and everything. He says, ‘Listen Billy, don’t listen to what anyone else has to say. As long as you come in and get your work done, everything is going to work out.’”

So the work goes on. Daily the two join hitting coach Don Long and work out, as Hamilton works more and more on his left-handed swing.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Never heard such evidence. And this article provide evidence in the contrary.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...e-up/84216160/
    Look, I know people get tired of hearing this, but I've worked in the service industry a long time.
    You see some players out occasionally. The best athletes you almost never see out.
    When I worked at Jefferson Social down by the stadium, Billy was there all the time when they were in town.
    I know from other people I've talked to and from personally seeing him in other places that he was out on the town all the time, at Social, Blind Pig, Tokyo Kitty, or elsewhere.
    Sure it's speculation on my part, but the only other people I ever saw hanging out late at bars even a fraction as often were Arthur Rhodes and Rey Mualuga.
    To me that speaks to someone who doesn't take his job as a professional athlete very seriously.
    If anyone doesn't want to believe me that's fine, but I always liked Billy, he's a really nice guy. I was just over having a no hit CF starting 150 games a year.
    I wish him well.

I suppose I worded that poorly.
    Mualuga is another example, if you talk to almost any bartender in the downtown/nky area, they'll tell you they aren't surprised he never lived up to his potential.
    Billy is the same just not a jerk.
    When you're in town for a 10 game homestand and I see you out late as hell at a bar almost every night, I question the effort you put into your craft.
    Last edited by OGB; 04-11-2019 at 11:35 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

22. Likes:

Griffey012 (04-12-2019),Revering4Blue (04-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by faffy42 View Post
    Id take hamiltons defense in CF and base running over scheblers bat. Not every player 1-8 can hit lights out...thats why hamilton is your #8 hitter.
    So you’d want a lineup with Hamilton, Peraza, Barnhart, and Iglesias. Yikes

Turn Off Ads?