Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Re: BILLY HAMILTON

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: BILLY HAMILTON

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    Look, I know people get tired of hearing this, but I've worked in the service industry a long time.
    You see some players out occasionally. The best athletes you almost never see out.
    When I worked at Jefferson Social down by the stadium, Billy was there all the time when they were in town.
    I know from other people I've talked to and from personally seeing him in other places that he was out on the town all the time, at Social, Blind Pig, Tokyo Kitty, or elsewhere.
    Sure it's speculation on my part, but the only other people I ever saw hanging out late at bars even a fraction as often were Arthur Rhodes and Rey Mualuga.
    To me that speaks to someone who doesn't take his job as a professional athlete very seriously.
    If anyone doesn't want to believe me that's fine, but I always liked Billy, he's a really nice guy. I was just over having a no hit CF starting 150 games a year.
    I wish him well.

I suppose I worded that poorly.
    Mualuga is another example, if you talk to almost any bartender in the downtown/nky area, they'll tell you they aren't surprised he never lived up to his potential.
    Billy is the same just not a jerk.
    When you're in town for a 10 game homestand and I see you out late as hell at a bar almost every night, I question the effort you put into your craft.
    Aside from this anecdotal evidence, he also apparently balked at the idea of being a part time player off the bench, which means he might overvalue himself as a hitter. I don’t know how else he could justify that reaction.

2. Likes:

OGB (04-12-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Arthur Rhodes was lights out his 2 seasons with the Reds. I'd have sent him all the beers and groupies he wanted out to the bullpen if that's what made him tick.

5. Likes:

Big Klu (04-12-2019),goreds2 (04-12-2019),marcshoe (04-12-2019),Mutaman (04-13-2019),TRF (04-12-2019)

Look, I know people get tired of hearing this, but I've worked in the service industry a long time.
    You see some players out occasionally. The best athletes you almost never see out.
    When I worked at Jefferson Social down by the stadium, Billy was there all the time when they were in town.
    I know from other people I've talked to and from personally seeing him in other places that he was out on the town all the time, at Social, Blind Pig, Tokyo Kitty, or elsewhere.
    Sure it's speculation on my part, but the only other people I ever saw hanging out late at bars even a fraction as often were Arthur Rhodes and Rey Mualuga.
    To me that speaks to someone who doesn't take his job as a professional athlete very seriously.
    If anyone doesn't want to believe me that's fine, but I always liked Billy, he's a really nice guy. I was just over having a no hit CF starting 150 games a year.
    I wish him well.

Mualuga is another example, if you talk to almost any bartender in the downtown/nky area, they'll tell you they aren't surprised he never lived up to his potential.
    When you're in town for a 10 game homestand and I see you out late as hell at a bar almost every night, I question the effort you put into your craft.
    I know when I was in town and Chapman was still in Cincy that I saw Hamilton and Chapman parking Chapman's car at the Millenium every night so that they could hit whatever night club it is that is located just down the street. I had hoped that the one good thing about Chapman leaving was that maybe Billy had lost his wingman....maybe not...honestly, right or wrong, when a player/person doesn't perform part of their job well and then they leave the impression that they are more interested in partying to the wee hours than being prepared for their job, it just leaves a poor impression. I really did enjoy watching him play CF for the Reds, I didn't enjoy watching him flail away at the plate...

7. Likes:

OGB (04-12-2019)

They call me "chef"

I wonder if Billy Hamilton ever looked into the stands, saw his bartender sitting there, and thought to himself "This guy doesn't take his job seriously."

9. Likes:

Crumbley (04-12-2019),Kinsm (04-12-2019),marcshoe (04-12-2019),New Fever (04-13-2019),OGB (04-12-2019),TRF (04-12-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    I wonder if Billy Hamilton ever looked into the stands, saw his bartender sitting there, and thought to himself "This guy doesn't take his job seriously."
    Yeah, exactly the same thing...These guys get paid a lot of money and it's not cheap to go to a baseball game to take in the entertainment that fans pay to see. Perception is just that. I've had a hangover and come to work and not done a good job that day; if I did that everyday or even just frequently, I imagine that they would find a replacement for me. You can scoff until it matters I guess. He's gone, so he's been replaced for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Doesn't that depend upon whether Billy was using the GrubHub app or not?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I kind of think that even if Billy were a teetotaler and stayed home every night reading alternately from The Science of Hitting and the Bible, he would still would have problems hitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

13. Likes:

757690 (04-12-2019),Bumstead (04-12-2019),CarolinaRedleg (04-15-2019),Kinsm (04-12-2019),Norm Chortleton (04-12-2019),OGB (04-12-2019),Roy Tucker (04-15-2019)

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I kind of think that even if Billy were a teetotaler and stayed home every night reading alternately from The Science of Hitting and the Bible, he would still would have problems hitting.
    Are you trying to say that Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

15. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-12-2019)

I almost hate to bring this up, but...

Ryan Freel.

I don't care much what a player does on HIS OFF TIME. Billy's problem wasn't work ethic or partying. He's just not a good hitter. Dude is an elite athlete. Can't hit. I wanted him to hit. EVERYONE HERE, even jojo wanted him to be able to hit. He just can't do it is all.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

17. Likes:

KYExtemper (04-13-2019)

I wish him well.

The 1986 Mets say hello.
    And have you not read Ball Four?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The 1986 Mets say hello.
    Mickey Mantle
    Whitey Ford
    Billy Martin

Yogi had to go with them to be their babysitter.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The 1986 Mets say hello.
    If you're good and party all the time it's one thing. If you stink and are getting by purely on natural athleticism, it's another.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

If somebody said you can have one of the best defensive cfs to ever play the game, he'll hit about .245 with no power and he'll steal about 60 bases a year, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Bat him 8th and forget about him.

22. Likes:

757690 (04-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Driver62 View Post
    So tell me again how much better a hitter Shebler is than Hamilton. He is 1 for the season as is Winker and Votto is hitting under .200. They added different players like Kemp and Puig and still get the same results.

Before anyone jumps on me for not being a true fan, I started following the Reds back in 1947 so that's before most of you were born and probably before some of your parents were born. I also played the game until I was 58 and my knees gave out. I know baseball but some of the so called experts on here will bash me and I don't care. I know bad baseball when I see it and you should too.

So bash away.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I don't think any amount of practice was going to make Billy Hamilton a good hitter. His tool that got him drafted was his ability to run real fast. He's parlayed that into a couple of elite skills on a baseball diamond. It has made him an elite defender in CF and an elite base runner. That doesn't just happen and it takes a lot of work. If it didn't we'd see a lot of struggling track stars making big league money playing baseball as guys who specialize in those areas.

Hamilton was never drafted because of his bat. As a prospect, his ability to hit alone would never have gotten a look without the speed that went with it. If a guy doesn't have a bat that would get him drafted in the first place, expecting hitting to be something that would he would actually succeed with at the games highest level is a fools errand. It's the reason I complain about "fleas" who are drafted primarily because they can run fast. If the bat doesn't wow you as an amateur, it's probably going to be well below average in the big leagues (if it get's that far). It's the same reason that expecting pitchers to hit makes no sense. They were drafted because they could pitch. The bat never really had that potential. No amount of practice is going to make Billy Hamilton a good big league hitter. It's simply not who he is.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-14-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

25. Likes:

goreds2 (04-14-2019),Red Raindog (04-14-2019)

Turn Off Ads?