Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

!
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Likes:

cincinnati chili (04-15-2019),klw (04-12-2019),marcshoe (04-12-2019),RedTeamGo! (04-18-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Omg. Amazing.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Rey...long lost daughter of Palpatine?
    Go Gators!

6. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-27-2019)

The idea of ships flying close to the ground seems to be a recurring thing in this trilogy. I like it.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

There's a theory out there that I think makes some sense - that "Skywalker" will be a thing like the Jedi or the Sith.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    There's a theory out there that I think makes some sense - that "Skywalker" will be a thing like the Jedi or the Sith.
    That explanation makes the most sense -- "Skywalkers" are a new title of Force users that aren't beholden to the old Jedi ways -- if the next movie is continuing the "let's burn everything about Star Wars to the ground" that The Last Jedi started.

I'm kinda over these movies. Last Jedi was garbage, and I've got less than zero interest in watching a movie where Palpatine returns from the grave to reveal "I was the true bad guy all along!" Plus, then we're subjected to watching a Kylo Ren redemption story, having to pretend like we didn't watch him murder Han Solo in cold-blood during the first movie of this new trilogy.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

10. Likes:

Dom Heffner (04-17-2019),REDREAD (10-30-2019),TheBigLebowski (04-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    That explanation makes the most sense -- "Skywalkers" are a new title of Force users that aren't beholden to the old Jedi ways -- if the next movie is continuing the "let's burn everything about Star Wars to the ground" that The Last Jedi started.

I'm kinda over these movies. Last Jedi was garbage, and I've got less than zero interest in watching a movie where Palpatine returns from the grave to reveal "I was the true bad guy all along!" Plus, then we're subjected to watching a Kylo Ren redemption story, having to pretend like we didn't watch him murder Han Solo in cold-blood during the first movie of this new trilogy.
    That’s a lot of assumption based off a laugh
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I like The Last Jedi about as much as I like Matt Kemp. I'll never forgive anyone who was involved with the production or writing of that disaster.

But I trust JJ Abrams not to be overly ham-fisted with that storyline (Kylo's redemption) should that be part of the plot. To me, it's almost too obvious, so I assume they'll zig due to everyone's expectation that they'll zag.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

13. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (04-17-2019),REDREAD (10-30-2019)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That’s a lot of assumption based off a laugh
    Sure, but with Ian McDiarmid being announced for the cast, I'm assuming he's going to play more of a role than just flashbackery or a cameo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I like The Last Jedi about as much as I like Matt Kemp. I'll never forgive anyone who was involved with the production or writing of that disaster.

But I trust JJ Abrams not to be overly ham-fisted with that storyline (Kylo's redemption) should that be part of the plot. To me, it's almost too obvious, so I assume they'll zig due to everyone's expectation that they'll zag.
    Really, the only thing they can do to win me back at this point would be to open the movie with the Star Wars text crawl:

EPISODE IX
    THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

FIRST OFF, OUR BAD ON THAT LAST MOVIE.
    LET'S ALL PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

15. Likes:

Dom Heffner (04-17-2019),TheBigLebowski (04-22-2019)

They call me "chef"

There should be two Star Wars tracks. One track that is a love letter to hardcore fans that have 30+ years of cementing and carving out their idea of what Star Wars is and a second track for people who are open to new weird, dark, fun, [insert any interesting adjective] movies that take place in the Star Wars universe but who don't care if they are done 'correctly'. I feel like the things that kept the Last Jedi from being great where the few things that hardcore Star Wars fans liked. I would go wild for a Star Wars movie that fully deconstructs and subverts the now outdated philosophy of the series. The Last Jedi sorta did that and it sorta was fan service and it seems it wasn't a great movie to any side (I still think it's far away my favorite of the new SW films and their spinoffs). I hope the Johnson spinoff trilogy is allowed to go full post-modern 'nothing is sacred' re-invention and create it's own new world and concepts.

17. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (04-19-2019),M2 (04-19-2019),marcshoe (04-17-2019)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

This is a lot of how I feel, and my son hasnt even asked about going.

They are sort of stupid at this point, which is why they are going to give them a break, probably.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (10-30-2019)

Building a movie off of avoiding what the audience expects gets you garbage like The Last Jedi

Just make a good movie.

My guess is this movie will do decent but not great business and combined with Solo being an awful bomb and Disney will can anything in the pipe for awhile and bring in all new idea people.
    Go Gators!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Building a movie off of avoiding what the audience expects gets you garbage like The Last Jedi

Just make a good movie.

My guess is this movie will do decent but not great business and combined with Solo being an awful bomb and Disney will can anything in the pipe for awhile and bring in all new idea people.
    Disney has already announced a "pause" in Star Wars films after IX is released.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

Just make a good movie.

Well, giving people what they want in a way they didn't expect is what would make a great movie.

The Last Jedi did that 60% of the way and then relented and gave the rest of the movie to keeping the sacred elements in tact despite it's own thesis statement, so it was like a half-swing with great mechanics that produced a tepid ground out to the rabid and insane short stop. They pissed people off. Might as well have gone all the way and maybe won people back over by creating an artistic and risky Star Wars game changer instead of a somewhat standard Star Wars movie that was mean to Luke's character and JJ Abram's trilogy outline for half of it's running time.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Well, giving people what they want in a way they didn't expect is what would make a great movie.

The Last Jedi did that 60% of the way and then relented and gave the rest of the movie to keeping the sacred elements in tact despite it's own thesis statement, so it was like a half-swing with great mechanics that produced a tepid ground out to the rabid and insane short stop. They pissed people off..
    Well they pissed of Russian trolls and Bots:
    https://gizmodo.com/study-on-the-las...yup-1829481968
    In a new paper (which has not yet gone through peer review) by USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism professor Morten Bay, the researcher analyzed a selection of 967 tweets (each from a separate account) directed at director Rian Johnson over the period of December 13th, 2017, and July 20th, 2018. Using sentiment analysis to sort the tweets as positive, negative, or neutral, and then analyzing the accounts themselves, Bay found that “50.9% of those tweeting negatively [were] likely politically motivated or not even human.”

Bay wrote, “The results of the study show that among those who address The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson directly on Twitter to express their dissatisfaction, more than half are bots, trolls/sock puppets, or political activists using the debate to propagate political messages supporting extreme right-wing causes and the discrimination of gender, race or sexuality. A number of these users appear to be Russian trolls.”

However, it also found that a very small minority of the tweets were, in fact, expressing negative sentiments towards Johnson or The Last Jedi: just 21.9 percent of the tweets (206) were critical, including bots. That number boiled down to just 10.5 percent when bot accounts are excluded. The Verge noted just 16 of the “bot/sock puppet/troll accounts” appeared to be linked to Russia, as defined by “comprehensive lists of criteria for detection of Russian trolls” identified from analysis of the alleged Russian operation to interfere in the 2016 elections:

Turn Off Ads?