Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

So, it was basically fine I guess. I wish this trilogy had been more than that, especially as promising as The Force Awakened seemed at the time. I actually still think TFA is a top 3 Star Wars movie, while Last Jedi and this movie are basically just “fine.” Enjoyable, but nothing too memorable or really all that exciting either.

2. Turn Off Ads?

TLJ over ANH and ROTJ.

Wow.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Jedi but no Sith means the Force is out of balance.
    I don’t know that I buy that — I think the way it’s been presented, the Sith is considered a “perversion” of the natural order of the Force.

One of the best aspects of Rise is the things it suggests about the nature of the Sith Order. The explanation of the Sith from the prequels never really made a ton of sense — they established that there were ever more than two Sith in existence, a master and an apprentice. In a galaxy of presumably trillions of sentient beings, that seemed kinda silly. Plus, training an Apprentice in the Sith Arts, which includes using the Force to achieve whatever is a wanted by whatever means necessary, seemed like you were forever setting yourself up to be killed so that the Apprentice could take over as the most powerful person / Sith Master. The only means of promotion would be your boss dying, and you’re explicitly trained in killing people.

This movie suggests that the “Sith” is almost like the Venom Symbiote from Spider-Man — where becoming the Sith Master confers the “Force Energy” of all the prior Siths and the resulting creation is a merging of personality that takes over whoever is assuming the title. And, it also seems to imply that this force energy is transferred by a Sith master being killed in anger / while channeling the dark side. It explains the Master / Apprentice setup as the Sith spirit (not the individual Master) always needing to have someone ready at hand who can kill him and continue the Sith lineage. The idea of training someone to kill you is a feature, not a bug. And, if your Apprentice never kills you to take power for himself or herself, there’s apparently a ritual whereby this can happen anyway.

I thought all of that was absolutely fascinating and actually brings some needed clarity to the dark side / light side dynamic IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

In our world of instant hot takes, where everything has to be the absolute best or the absolute worst, my hot take is that Rise was perfectly fine. A solid 3 stars out of 4 movie.

The first 2/3 of the movie were much better than the poorly written, poorly paced last third.

This will probably change, but I'd rank the new generation of SW movies like this:

Rogue One
    TFA
    TLJ
    Rise
    Solo

I've been a fan of Star Wars my entire life, and Solo is the only SW movie I have no desire to re-watch. I think I'd rather watch those made for TV Ewok movies before Solo. At least those might be funny-bad instead of boring.
    Last edited by NebraskaRed; 12-21-2019 at 06:31 PM.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    In our world of instant hot takes, where everything has to be the absolute best or the absolute worst, my hot take is that Rise was perfectly fine. A solid 3 stars out of 4 movie.

The first 2/3 of the movie were much better than the poorly written, poorly paced last third.

This will probably change, but I'd rank the new generation of SW movies like this:

Rogue One
    TFA
    TLJ
    Rise
    Solo

I've been a fan of Star Wars my entire life, and Solo is the only SW movie I have no desire to re-watch. I think I'd rather watch those made for TV Ewok movies before Solo. At least those might be funny-bad instead of boring.
    For me, second time around Solo was better than the first time around.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    For me, second time around Solo was better than the first time around.
    sure, but Wilford Brimley is in one of the Ewok movies. Can't beat that.

8. Likes:

RedsBaron (12-22-2019)

Baby Yoda's cat.

Name:  yoda-cat_split-ht-ps-191224_hpMain_4x3_608.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  34.6 KB

Saw it last night. I think the editing was pretty weak, fun movie though. I need to watch it again.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Disappointing overall. Love Daisy Ridley and love the way that some of the audio and visuals worked in a good theater. Yes was actually feeling a bit seasick in the ocean scenes. And I mean that as a compliment. But I thought the plot and dialogue were significantly less compelling than the last two.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It's kind of amazing this trilogy ends right back where it started

Empire/First order seemingly defeated, Emperor seemingly dead, Evil sith dude repents then dies and
    One Jedi named Skywalker left to rebuild everything.

All the same as the end of Return of the Jedi

I hope when they do Episode 10-12 (yes it's going to happen) they plan it out some more then these films, like the prequel trilogy one movie was basically useless and one tried to make up for it.
    Just saw this movie. Seemed like a rehash of return of the Jedi. I'm probably not the big Star Wars guy many on here are, but I've seen all the movies. IMO The Empire Strikes Back was by far the best of the 9 films. The Original Star Wars - A New Hope was also a great film. After those two, they were OK and I wanted to see where the story went, but none were more than average films IMO. They seemed to be more about merchandising than telling the story. In fact, from the third film on, it seemed more like the Muppets in Outer Space more than anything resembling the first two movies. I'd say the 7th film was the best of the rest.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

757690 (01-01-2020),marcshoe (05-04-2020),REDREAD (01-03-2020),RedsBaron (01-01-2020)

One other thing I noticed in the last couple of movies. Now that Star Wars is huge business as opposed to the movie of unknowns who shocked the world, it was pretty evident that the newer younger version of the cast were much better actors than the original cast members. The big budget movie seemd to have more leeway in finding a cast with acting chops than the original move was. Harrison Ford was OK but nothing special in his limited role, but Billy de Williams, Carrie Fisher (RIP) and especially Mark Hamill seemed more like they were reading their lines with little feeling as opposed to actually "acting" in the scenes they were in. Wonder if anyone else thought that or just me.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-03-2020)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    One other thing I noticed in the last couple of movies. Now that Star Wars is huge business as opposed to the movie of unknowns who shocked the world, it was pretty evident that the newer younger version of the cast were much better actors than the original cast members. The big budget movie seemd to have more leeway in finding a cast with acting chops than the original move was. Harrison Ford was OK but nothing special in his limited role, but Billy de Williams, Carrie Fisher (RIP) and especially Mark Hamill seemed more like they were reading their lines with little feeling as opposed to actually "acting" in the scenes they were in. Wonder if anyone else thought that or just me.
    I think the four leads in the latest movie are exceptional. Maybe their acting choices will look dated in the future, kind of likw Mark Hamill’s acting looks today. But I doubt it.
    Stick to your guns.

17. Likes:

M2 (01-21-2020)

Finally saw it.

The only good thing Disney ever did for Star Wars was Rogue One (and allowing Favreau to do the Mandalorian the way he wanted it).

I didn't read any of the reviews or fan reaction to the movie before I saw it ... and I liked it. It wasn't haute cinema, but no Star Wars movie is. Thought it was a nice callback to the movie serial roots of the original, with a lot of neatly composed sub-chapters. The big thing they got right was the Rey-Ren relationship, which was the connecting thread through the three movies. Everything else strikes me as plot details that don't really matter. Did your characters go on a journey that changed them profoundly? That's where Return of the Jedi failed and then the prequels completely crapped the bed.

Also, as someone who always felt Jedi was the franchise's original sin that demanded correction, I'm somewhat pleased this film took an eraser to that movie.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

It's streaming on Disney Plus today (which is cheap in a bundle with Hulu and ESPN plus), so I finally saw it. Blah. I defended TLJ and still think it was a much better movie than many here are crediting, but this, well, I guess it was to the latest trilogy what Return was to the original: a wrap-up that lost some of the appeal of its predecessors. At least it wasn't the bore the prequels (especially the second) were. Decent final scene, and I'm sad that we won't be seeing more of Rey.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

21. Likes:

NebraskaRed (05-06-2020)

Turn Off Ads?