Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Re: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Sure, but with Ian McDiarmid being announced for the cast, I'm assuming he's going to play more of a role than just flashbackery or a cameo.

- - - Updated - - -

Really, the only thing they can do to win me back at this point would be to open the movie with the Star Wars text crawl:

EPISODE IX
    THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

FIRST OFF, OUR BAD ON THAT LAST MOVIE.
    LET'S ALL PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED.
    “I am done with star wars. Soooooo done.

Ok, now let me comment about why I’m done 17,820 times on various social media platforms.”

I don’t get it. You hate Star Wars now. We get it. Why not just find something else in pop culture to talk about?

This isn’t really just directed at you, just the various fanboys that can’t get over the new trilogy not being exactly what they want it to be.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

NebraskaRed (04-18-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Building a movie off of avoiding what the audience expects gets you garbage like The Last Jedi

Just make a good movie.

My guess is this movie will do decent but not great business and combined with Solo being an awful bomb and Disney will can anything in the pipe for awhile and bring in all new idea people.
    Solo bombed financially, but I thought it was a really fun movie. Have you actually seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Disney has already announced a "pause" in Star Wars films after IX is released.
    As they should. Give the public some time to decompress from their multibillion $ ad campaigns (I mean movies). In 10+ years maybe we'll be ready for more.

It's not like they don't have 20 comic book movies to fall back on.

6. Likes:

REDREAD (10-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Ok, now let me comment about why I’m done 17,820 times on various social media platforms.”

I don’t get it. You hate Star Wars now. We get it. Why not just find something else in pop culture to talk about?

This isn’t really just directed at you, just the various fanboys that can’t get over the new trilogy not being exactly what they want it to be.
    somewhat related: I can't believe how many people I know who post about how they DON'T watch Game of Thrones.

I don't watch it either. Which is why I don't post about the fact I don't watch it. I'm glad that other people enjoy it. I have no idea why someone feels the need to let everyone else know that they don't.

8. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-27-2019),RedTeamGo! (04-18-2019)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    somewhat related: I can't believe how many people I know who post about how they DON'T watch Game of Thrones.

I don't watch it either. Which is why I don't post about the fact I don't watch it. I'm glad that other people enjoy it. I have no idea why someone feels the need to let everyone else know that they don't.
    I felt personally attacked a few weeks ago when the National released new single and I saw 3-4 tweets on my timeline (I mostly follow small indie bands and indie record label people) throwing shade at the National’s hype and the kind of bros who likes the National. It was weird! But I feel like it is an old phenomenon. My timeline used to be filled with actors and comedians and musicians pointing out how much they don’t follow sports for a while.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Well they pissed of Russian trolls and Bots:
    https://gizmodo.com/study-on-the-las...yup-1829481968
    This is true but I also personally know Star Wars nerds in my friend circle who lost their minds over TLJ for non-troll, non-MRA need reasons.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

It's fan culture -- everyone has a take.

The new Star Trek movies pissed people off too.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

11. Likes:

REDREAD (10-30-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Hang on while I go to The Tavern and post in the NBA thread how much I don't follow basketball.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Solo bombed financially, but I thought it was a really fun movie. Have you actually seen it?
    Yes I've seen it, I wouldn't have said it was awful if I hadn't seen it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Well, giving people what they want in a way they didn't expect is what would make a great movie.

The Last Jedi did that 60% of the way and then relented and gave the rest of the movie to keeping the sacred elements in tact despite it's own thesis statement, so it was like a half-swing with great mechanics that produced a tepid ground out to the rabid and insane short stop. They pissed people off. Might as well have gone all the way and maybe won people back over by creating an artistic and risky Star Wars game changer instead of a somewhat standard Star Wars movie that was mean to Luke's character and JJ Abram's trilogy outline for half of it's running time.
    I think the bloat factor was the biggest drawback to Last Jedi. They had roughly three different movies interspliced with each other. It was a lot of plot to ingest. Though I did appreciate the attempts to tell a story different from the one we thought we were getting. In terms of the trilogy of trilogies, I'd rank it 4th in terms of SW movies, and it's probably better than the original (which is clunky as hell), but the original is iconic.

As for the new movies, I thought they really hit on something with Rogue One. They've got a whole universe of creatures that have been pushed to the breaking point. I think that's their real story.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think the bloat factor was the biggest drawback to Last Jedi. They had roughly three different movies interspliced with each other. It was a lot of plot to ingest. Though I did appreciate the attempts to tell a story different from the one we thought we were getting. In terms of the trilogy of trilogies, I'd rank it 4th in terms of SW movies, and it's probably better than the original (which is clunky as hell), but the original is iconic.

As for the new movies, I thought they really hit on something with Rogue One. They've got a whole universe of creatures that have been pushed to the breaking point. I think that's their real story.
    Maybe the original trilogy was segmented as well but I sure didn’t notice it as the films are so smooth. But in the latest 2 films it’s like you know what’s coming “ok Finn has been on the clock for 12 minutes it’s time to cut back to Kylo’s story...”

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

I’ve seen Rogue One probably 9-10 times now and it’s going to age like fine wine. It’s excellent. My favorite SW movie since the OT, and I rank it behind only ANH and ESB.

I was very confused the whole time watching Solo. I’d heard from multiple people that it wasn’t good and it did fairly poorly at the box office, yet I found it super fun and entertaining.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Rogue One and TFA don't have the "Disney" feel to them. I can't quite put my finger on it, but Solo and TLJ felt "Disney-fied" and it makes me worry about the franchise going forward. It's not necessarily a bad thing for a story to have that Disney feel to it, as Disney is obviously great at storytelling. But the SW universe is an expansion of the classic hero story genre, and that doesn't always go best with the intrinsic "sappiness" that traditional Disney stories have. Disney needs to learn how to be more gritty.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Rogue One and TFA don't have the "Disney" feel to them. I can't quite put my finger on it, but Solo and TLJ felt "Disney-fied" and it makes me worry about the franchise going forward. It's not necessarily a bad thing for a story to have that Disney feel to it, as Disney is obviously great at storytelling. But the SW universe is an expansion of the classic hero story genre, and that doesn't always go best with the intrinsic "sappiness" that traditional Disney stories have. Disney needs to learn how to be more gritty.
    Yet the Skywalker progression, which so many fans criticized, followed classic hero mythology. Luke's storyline was very much like the last part of Beowulf.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

20. Likes:

M2 (04-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I was very confused the whole time watching Solo. I’d heard from multiple people that it wasn’t good and it did fairly poorly at the box office, yet I found it super fun and entertaining.
    I thought it was fun, it is my second favorite of the new generation movies behind Rouge One.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?