Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Re: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’ve seen Rogue One probably 9-10 times now and it’s going to age like fine wine. It’s excellent. My favorite SW movie since the OT, and I rank it behind only ANH and ESB.
    I want a K-2SO prequel movie.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Solo and Rogue One were great. Best of the "new" SW movies.

TFA was also good. I enjoyed it. And I do have high hopes for ROS because rarely does JJ Abrams disappoint.

But if Rian Johnson still has the helm for the next chapter of SW movies, I'll probably take a pass.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

The issue with Star Wars is that the vision got murky and disjointed the more folks Disney brought in for each film...different writers and different directors for each film took it in a new direction each time meanwhile the films suffered a bit. Unfortunately due to the fans Star Wars can really burn a director out as they basically had to beg JJ to take this last film.

Personally I liked Rians film but I don't have a deep connection to Star Wars which may explain why some feel so strongly about it.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Is this still happening?

https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2019/...benioff-weiss/

A HBO executive confirmed that after the final season of Game of Thrones, David Benioff & D.B. Weiss will be taking a hiatus from HBO to make a trilogy of movies in a galaxy far, far away.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I think so, if Disney wants Star Wars to succeed again I think it’s their best chance.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I remember reading a while ago that they were gonna do a movie series that takes place around the same time period as the Knights of the Old Republic game series.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

https://io9.gizmodo.com/3-new-star-w...022-1834584244

Disney just revealed a bunch of new release dates, with the highlight being that three new, yet-to-be-titled Star Wars movies will be released every other December starting in 2022.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I think they are wise to embrace the two-year spacing for each film. As a franchise, that rhythm seems to work best for Star Wars because of the buzz that accrues with word-of-mouth and now so much internet fan site analysis and what not. I think it's a franchise that works differently than the Marvel films, mostly because its roots are so devoutly chronological and immersed in a generational story.

As their other big cash cow, Marvel is more adaptable to multiple platforms in a way, because it really works well with a larger-scale, web-like form of world building. I'm not a huge fan of superhero films in general, but I can't emphasize enough how impressive I think the MCU has become, especially in its third phase. It's really challenging to pull off what they did with Endgame. I don't like every film in the series, but it is really a landmark in what is increasingly starting to look like how movies (and media more generally) will be made moving forward.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

10. Likes:

RedsBaron (10-28-2019)

My issue with running a new Star Wars story concurrently with the Skywalker story that doesn't involve any of the themes or characters from the Skywalker story is, how?

The rebellion, the intergalactic Empire...all this stuff would concern everyone in that universe/world/whatever we're calling it. There's no way there could be an unaffected planet, galaxy, etc.

It would either have to run before or after, and it would at least have to acknowledge the events of the Skywalker Saga. Otherwise, it would be tantamount to writing a movie Missouri in 1863 that doesn't even acknowledge the Civil War.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (10-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    My issue with running a new Star Wars story concurrently with the Skywalker story that doesn't involve any of the themes or characters from the Skywalker story is, how?

The rebellion, the intergalactic Empire...all this stuff would concern everyone in that universe/world/whatever we're calling it. There's no way there could be an unaffected planet, galaxy, etc.

It would either have to run before or after, and it would at least have to acknowledge the events of the Skywalker Saga. Otherwise, it would be tantamount to writing a movie Missouri in 1863 that doesn't even acknowledge the Civil War.
    It’s going to take place likely thousands of years before the movies we have. The Old Republic era.

Yeah, I read that. But I've also seen that there are talks to do another story that runs concurrently to the Skywalker saga. Maybe it never grows legs. I just don't understand how they could do it unless they just wrote them under the assumption that the SS never happened, but then it wouldn't even be Star Wars.

Last trailer releases tonight during Monday Night Football.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Last trailer releases tonight during Monday Night Football.
    Saw the trailer. It was OK.

I'm still annoyed that they're bringing Palpatine back for this movie (apparently), as it's just another mark in the "So, what was the point of those original movies anyway?" ledger. And, if you're going to re-introduce this character -- who is the overarching villain for the entire saga -- why wait until the third movie to reveal he's still around?

Which just brings me back to what an absolute dog of a movie "The Last Jedi" was -- where it took a hatchet to the entire (to that point) 7 movie story arc and left the series with no real direction to head. It *might* have worked as a first movie, where you'd have two more films to figure out the fallout, but as a 2nd of 3 acts, it's just bad storytelling.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

17. Likes:

REDREAD (10-30-2019),TheBigLebowski (10-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

I'm still annoyed that they're bringing Palpatine back for this movie (apparently), as it's just another mark in the "So, what was the point of those original movies anyway?" ledger. And, if you're going to re-introduce this character -- who is the overarching villain for the entire saga -- why wait until the third movie to reveal he's still around?

Which just brings me back to what an absolute dog of a movie "The Last Jedi" was -- where it took a hatchet to the entire (to that point) 7 movie story arc and left the series with no real direction to head. It *might* have worked as a first movie, where you'd have two more films to figure out the fallout, but as a 2nd of 3 acts, it's just bad storytelling.
    That's part of the problem in having multiple directors for these films each one has a vision that is different from the first to it becomes a muddled story. Lucas had a vision for the first 3 and stuck to the plan because it was his baby...just like the Russo's stuck to the game plan for Avengers.

I still think it might work but I was not as attached to Luke as others are or were.

Overall the trailer looks good and I don't think they are giving too much away, I am interested in seeing how they tie up some wicked plot holes....
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

You are jumping to a ton of conclusions based on very little.

I find the “males the previous movies pointless” thing always amusing because Empire was never planned, it was made up after ANH was a huge success. Folks should read Splinter of the Minds Eye.

Turn Off Ads?