Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Re: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

i would caution everyone not to read too much in Star Wars trailers. They've thrown purposeful misdirections at us for the last two movies.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Lucas had a vision for the first 3 and stuck to the plan because it was his baby.
    That's a pretty strong argument for making it up as you go along. Worst trilogy ever.
    Last edited by M2; 10-26-2019 at 12:49 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-30-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    i would caution everyone not to read too much in Star Wars trailers. They've thrown purposeful misdirections at us for the last two movies.

That's a pretty strong argument for making it up as you go along. Worst trilogy ever.
    Sorry I always get that confused...I was talking New Hope, Empire, etc...Last Jedi goes a bit of the rails with Ewoks
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

5. Likes:

M2 (10-29-2019),REDREAD (10-30-2019)

Sorry I always get that confused...I was talking New Hope, Empire, etc...Last Jedi goes a bit of the rails with Ewoks
    You probably mean Return of the Jedi, but I just want to point that is not accurate about A New Hope, Empire, and Return. They were made up as he went along. He didn’t even write the scripts for Empire and Return. He didn’t even envision it being a trilogy because he assumed the first movie wasn’t going to make money. This is why there is absolutely no hint of Luke and Leia being siblings in A New Hope.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

This is what I am looking forward to already plopped down my 70 dollars...but I have a 6 yr old who loves Disney so easy decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1MGgM6L-s4

8. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (10-29-2019),WrongVerb (10-29-2019)

This is what I am looking forward to already plopped down my 70 dollars...but I have a 6 yr old who loves Disney so easy decision.

Lol, this is a video about how to fix shin splints. I recommend stretching the legs out before even a brisk walk, personally.

10. Likes:

Hoosier Red (10-30-2019),WrongVerb (10-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Disney has already announced a "pause" in Star Wars films after IX is released.
    Thank goodness. The Star War movies since Disney took over have been generally awful.
    Like in the first movie, a former storm trooper can pick up a light saber and instantly use it.
    The woman picks up a lightsaber and can defeat a Sith or Sith in training in her first lightsaber battle.. Oh yea, and the millineum falcon was fully functional, but left in a junk pile, lost somewhere? Lots of dumb things like that. I can forgive some continuity errors, but if the former storm trooper can use a light saber, why not give all storm troopers and battle droids a light saber? etc, etc..

I guess if the viewer is a kid that never saw any of the other star wars movies, maybe one or two of the Disney star wars movies would be ok.. but they are garbage. Disney ruined Star Wars, just like they ruined Marvel. And many other examples. The first "Pirates of the Caribean" movie was great. Then Disney was in such a rush to cash in on sequels, that the rest of the movies were bad.. Too much "time to market" and "profit" motivation, no effort is put into making a good story anymore, as Disney knows they can just keep cranking out garbage and people will buy tickets to it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Thank goodness. The Star War movies since Disney took over have been generally awful.
    Like in the first movie, a former storm trooper can pick up a light saber and instantly use it.
    The woman picks up a lightsaber and can defeat a Sith or Sith in training in her first lightsaber battle.. Oh yea, and the millineum falcon was fully functional, but left in a junk pile, lost somewhere? Lots of dumb things like that. I can forgive some continuity errors, but if the former storm trooper can use a light saber, why not give all storm troopers and battle droids a light saber? etc, etc..

I guess if the viewer is a kid that never saw any of the other star wars movies, maybe one or two of the Disney star wars movies would be ok.. but they are garbage. Disney ruined Star Wars, just like they ruined Marvel. And many other examples. The first "Pirates of the Caribean" movie was great. Then Disney was in such a rush to cash in on sequels, that the rest of the movies were bad.. Too much "time to market" and "profit" motivation, no effort is put into making a good story anymore, as Disney knows they can just keep cranking out garbage and people will buy tickets to it.
    Kids these days. Back in my day I tell ya we had quality movies.
    I'd think outfitting storm troopers with light sabers would be rather inefficient even for bad guys who specialize in really inefficient weaponry.
    Sequels in general suffer from going over similar ground to the original due to a number of factors. Episodes I-II-III suffered from having to retrofit themselves into an existing story. Episodes VII-VIII-IX suffer from going over the same ground as VI movies made previously.
    To quote eminent movie philosopher Basil Exposition: "I suggest you not worry about that sort of thing and just enjoy yourself"
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (10-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Kids these days. Back in my day I tell ya we had quality movies. "
    Haha, great post.
    Although I would argue this.. Storm Troopers had the worst aim in the world with blasters.. they couldn't possibly do worse with Lightsabers, could they? I mean, at least they could lightsaber a few teddy bears/ewoks..

Oh, as an update, the Game of Thrones guys bailed on Star Wars:
    https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wa...gy-1202771184/
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

15. Likes:

M2 (10-30-2019),WrongVerb (10-30-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I think the biggest issue with the Disney films is that they invested so much in the SW franchise, that instead of trusting the vision of a single person, they have designed all the films by committee. The result is something that isn't terrible, but lacks the soul of what SW is.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, great post.
    Although I would argue this.. Storm Troopers had the worst aim in the world with blasters..
    Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

17. Likes:

REDREAD (11-06-2019)

I don’t even like comic book movies much, but the idea Disney ruined marvel is, uh, hilariously crazy.

Sorry was triple tasking helping a runner friend of mine...

https://www.starwars.com/video/trail...he-mandalorian

Sorry was triple tasking helping a runner friend of mine...

https://www.starwars.com/video/trail...he-mandalorian
    I'm more excited for this than The Rise of Skywalker (but I'll certainly go see it).

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don’t even like comic book movies much, but the idea Disney ruined marvel is, uh, hilariously crazy.
    I will give you that point. The pre-Disney movies were not super great, but they were substantially better than the Disney ones.

Compare the first 3 X-men movies to the most recent X-man movies.
    I have not seen "Dark Phoenix" but why was there a need to remake the third movie of the original series.. who wants to see that story twice?

And the X-men vs Apocolypse.. other than the Magneto storyline and maybe Quicksilver, boring as heck. It was the same formula as all their movies.. Have one big bad guy with no motivation or character development who just wants to destroy the world... all to set up the lame battle at the end.

The avenger movies were awful.. For example a movie with Ultron in it should be great, but it sucked. How anti-climatic that it ended by 3 Avengers just shooting some kind of beam at Ultron.. why didn't they just do that in the first 5 minutes to spare us the agony.. And what's with the corny and stupid banter when supposedly it's a life threatening situation.. it's not comic relief, all the "jokes" got no laughs when I Saw it in the theater.. They were trying too hard to be funny.

The original Sony Spiderman movies were better than the new ones. In the Disney spiderman movies, spider man is basically the goofy parrot from Aladin..

So while I agree, the pre-Disney Marvel movies were not works of art, at least they had a little bit of plot and character development and some time was put into them.. The disney Marvel movies all pretty much follow the same recipe.. Disney has managed to make them boring.. In fairness, I have not seen them all, but when you have Klay Thompson saying he walked out on the last Avenger's movie because it was so awful, that does not encourage me to see it...

I will give you that point. The pre-Disney movies were not super great, but they were substantially better than the Disney ones.

Compare the first 3 X-men movies to the most recent X-man movies.
    I have not seen "Dark Phoenix" but why was there a need to remake the third movie of the original series.. who wants to see that story twice?

And the X-men vs Apocolypse.. other than the Magneto storyline and maybe Quicksilver, boring as heck. It was the same formula as all their movies.. Have one big bad guy with no motivation or character development who just wants to destroy the world... all to set up the lame battle at the end.

The avenger movies were awful.. For example a movie with Ultron in it should be great, but it sucked. How anti-climatic that it ended by 3 Avengers just shooting some kind of beam at Ultron.. why didn't they just do that in the first 5 minutes to spare us the agony.. And what's with the corny and stupid banter when supposedly it's a life threatening situation.. it's not comic relief, all the "jokes" got no laughs when I Saw it in the theater.. They were trying too hard to be funny.

The original Sony Spiderman movies were better than the new ones. In the Disney spiderman movies, spider man is basically the goofy parrot from Aladin..

So while I agree, the pre-Disney Marvel movies were not works of art, at least they had a little bit of plot and character development and some time was put into them.. The disney Marvel movies all pretty much follow the same recipe.. Disney has managed to make them boring.. In fairness, I have not seen them all, but when you have Klay Thompson saying he walked out on the last Avenger's movie because it was so awful, that does not encourage me to see it...
    Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse movies were not made by Disney. They were made by Fox.

As for your points about the jokes and quips....have you ever read comic books? Especially Spiderman? Spiderman was famous for cracking jokes while fighting crime.

Your opinions aside, I think one can pretty easily argue Disney saved Marvel. Comic books had been slowly dying for many years prior to the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Dark Phoenix and Apocalypse movies were not made by Disney. They were made by Fox.

As for your points about the jokes and quips....have you ever read comic books? Especially Spiderman? Spiderman was famous for cracking jokes while fighting crime.

Your opinions aside, I think one can pretty easily argue Disney saved Marvel. Comic books had been slowly dying for many years prior to the MCU.
    ok, then Fox is not been good at super hero movies either.

I agree with you that Movies saved Marvel, but they would have survived without Disney.. Disney (and Fox) are making so many mediocre Marvel movies that they are going to wear it out. For example, in 5 years, is a reboot of the "Avengers" even going to be viable, since even the fanboys were disappointed in the last few movies?
    Sure Spiderman had some humor it in, but Disney just pushed it too hard.. In the avengers movie where they intro spiderman (Infinity Wars?), it was just machine gun action of Spidey smart alec remarks, none of which were funny. They should have just picked one or two of those remarks instead of it being a constant stream..
    And OMG, I did not see the episode 8 of star wars, but I heard that the girl gives Luke his lightsaber back, and he just tosses it away? Having Luke go completely out of character, hoping to get a cheap laugh? That's tacky. Heck, the fact that Luke ran away and hid (but left a dumb treasure map behind to find him) is out of character. Having Han Solo, the great war hero of the rebellion and former General having to smuggle stuff at about 70 years old was a travesty too.. But of course, Princess Leah was taken care of by the rebellion after the war was won. Maybe Leah took Han to the cleaners in intergalactic divorce court? lol ( A light hearted joke, not social commentary)

Turn Off Ads?