Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Re: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

While I disagree with the comments about TLJ (I think Luke's actions complete the Hero's Journey archetype well), I do think you have a point about how Disney has pushed too hard. The Avengers movies have approached Michael Bay territory, with a constant racheting up of the action without enough moments for the viewer to catch his breath. It's more of an amusement park ride than a movie. I thought Rogue One suffered from this in its final scene as well. So much happens at once that the impact suffers, I think.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 11-07-2019 at 01:39 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    So while I agree, the pre-Disney Marvel movies were not works of art, at least they had a little bit of plot and character development and some time was put into them.. The disney Marvel movies all pretty much follow the same recipe.. Disney has managed to make them boring.. In fairness, I have not seen them all, but when you have Klay Thompson saying he walked out on the last Avenger's movie because it was so awful, that does not encourage me to see it...
    Which Marvel Films have you seen? I'm wondering because one of the brilliance of the Marvel films is that they set up the Avengers flicks with standalone films that were focused on character development.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Which Marvel Films have you seen? I'm wondering because one of the brilliance of the Marvel films is that they set up the Avengers flicks with standalone films that were focused on character development.
    Yeah not to pile on REDREAD but Marvel just wrapped on one of the most critically acclaimed and successful stretches of their MCU history. Thor:Ragnarok, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and the two most recent Avengers were strong and the lesser tier movies like Spiderman and Ant-Man were fun and decent.

The MCU's lull, IMO, was the Thor 2/Avengers 2/Civil War stretch when the formula got weighed too heavy toward bloated bombast and hyper-seriousness and the humor and fun got minimized a little too much. Even then, they still made money and had mixed-to-positive critical feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    Yeah not to pile on REDREAD but Marvel just wrapped on one of the most critically acclaimed and successful stretches of their MCU history. Thor:Ragnarok, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and the two most recent Avengers were strong and the lesser tier movies like Spiderman and Ant-Man were fun and decent.

The MCU's lull, IMO, was the Thor 2/Avengers 2/Civil War stretch when the formula got weighed too heavy toward bloated bombast and hyper-seriousness and the humor and fun got minimized a little too much. Even then, they still made money and had mixed-to-positive critical feedback.
    Thor Ragnarok is excellent. Very fun movie.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

marcshoe (11-07-2019),savafan (11-08-2019)

The first episode of The Mandalorian was pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Loved the 1st episode and am interested in seeing where they go with it...
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 11-17-2019 at 01:27 PM.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

EP2 was also good, but without spoiling anything, it was short. There are only 8 episodes in S1 and therefore, unless the run times per episode fluctuate greatly, there isn't going to be a lot of story told. We're 1/4 of the way through and we really don't know...anything about this story.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    EP2 was also good, but without spoiling anything, it was short. There are only 8 episodes in S1 and therefore, unless the run times per episode fluctuate greatly, there isn't going to be a lot of story told. We're 1/4 of the way through and we really don't know...anything about this story.
    I love the short episodes. There isn’t much fluff, it’s all moving the story forward.

We know what’s important so far. The Mando is a loner bounty hunter who took a weird bounty. He got the bounty and is heading back with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Name:  C97BEB9A-BE00-4840-98A5-43D488CE9C8F.jpeg
Views: 429
Size:  98.9 KB

12. Likes:

marcshoe (11-24-2019),RedTeamGo! (11-24-2019),WrongVerb (11-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Name:  C97BEB9A-BE00-4840-98A5-43D488CE9C8F.jpeg
Views: 429
Size:  98.9 KB
    I have actually liked all of the new movies for the most part.

14. Likes:

marcshoe (11-24-2019)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

What makes the Mandalorian so great is that it wholeheartedly embraces the "show, don't tell..." aspect of storytelling.

Too much modern sci-fi is plot exposition and word dumps disguised as "world building."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

16. Likes:

WrongVerb (11-25-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    What makes the Mandalorian so great is that it wholeheartedly embraces the "show, don't tell..." aspect of storytelling.

Too much modern sci-fi is plot exposition and word dumps disguised as "world building."
    Agreed. And unfortunately, plot exposition isn't just contained to sci-fi. Most films these days do at least some of that. It's even worse on television ("As you know, blah blah blah").
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I love the show, so far. I really hope they keep the story "small" meaning that they don't try and connect too many dots to the larger narrative/mythology.

One thing that I really disliked about Solo was that it tried so hard to explain the origin or background of so many things. It would have been a much better movie had they only focused on Han's early years, for example. No need to cover so much ground.

And I'd say that Rogue One balanced that perfectly. It connected some dots, filled in some blanks, but also told an interesting story that was relatively "small"
    Last edited by NebraskaRed; 11-25-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-r...-score-lowest/

Rotten Tomatoes officially unveiled the Rise of Skywalker Tomatometer score today, when it was at 56% after 117 reviews were counted. As of this writing, the film still stands at 56% with 137 reviews, though that figure has been fluctuating throughout the day as more reviews are posted. This is by far the lowest Rotten Tomatoes score for a Disney Star Wars movie and the worst for the overall series since Attack of the Clones (65%).
    FWIW.

I'm actually somewhat excited by this news, because I think the critics were beyond dead wrong on their praise of "The Last Jedi."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

20. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (12-19-2019)

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-r...-score-lowest/

FWIW.

I'm actually somewhat excited by this news, because I think the critics were beyond dead wrong on their praise of "The Last Jedi."
    IW very little, as were the TLJ reviews.

There’s always overcorrection both ways.

Anyways, I am most excited we can put the original characters and storylines to bed and we can move on with more original stories like The Mandalorian.

Turn Off Ads?