Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral in France is on fire

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Notre Dame Cathedral in France is on fire

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/europe/...flames-n994646

Police think it was an accidental fire related to ongoing renovations.

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Notre Dame Cathedral in France is on fire

Holy hell. That's not a minor fire! Glad I got to see the place before this happened.

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-15-2019)

Man that is so sad. The roof has collapsed into the church and spire has fallen as well, so it's pretty well gone.

I visited almost exactly a year ago. Lot of history just went up in smoke.

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-15-2019)

So sad to lose such a significant cultural and historic landmark, and just an all around beautiful building.

Some random French construction worker somewhere is having a very bad day today. Your day is probably going better, and you should be grateful for that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-15-2019)

It looks like it's pretty much a total loss. Still flames coming out of there. Did they not install a sprinkler system just in case something like this happened? I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to discuss that. I never saw it but my wife, kid and other members of my family have. Can't say it was ever on my bucket list but I'd certainly see include it in a Paris visit. 13 million visitors a year. This is not something money can fix. Very sad.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    So sad to lose such a significant cultural and historic landmark, and just an all around beautiful building.

Some random French construction worker somewhere is having a very bad day today. Your day is probably going better, and you should be grateful for that.
    It really was just a strikingly beautiful building and was really amplified by setting. It is out there in the middle of the river and you could see it from all sorts of angles. It also wasn't all built at once, so you got to feel different parts of history by just looking at it. I'm sure they will rebuild some version of it, but it will always have a before and after aspect to it now.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-15-2019),MWM (04-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It really was just a strikingly beautiful building and was really amplified by setting. It is out there in the middle of the river and you could see it from all sorts of angles. It also wasn't all built at once, so you got to feel different parts of history by just looking at it. I'm sure they will rebuild some version of it, but it will always have a before and after aspect to it now.
    It was such a cool building is an awesome surrounding. On a side note, Paris is a great city to just walk around. As an outsider, there are so many things you have seen in pop culture that are in Paris.

Its a great shame when any of these historic buildings are lost to a natural disaster. You just can't rebuild the history.

14. Likes:

Chip R (04-15-2019),Kingspoint (04-15-2019),Revering4Blue (04-16-2019)

https://abc13.com/notre-dame-fire-ca...03;ng/5251285/

French President Emmanuel Macron is treating the fire gutting Notre Dame Cathedral as a national emergency. France's civil security agency says "all means" except for water-dropping aircraft were deployed to tackle the blaze.

The defense agency said those were unsuitable for fires like the one at Notre Dame because dumping water on the building could cause the whole structure to collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    That's an amazing picture. I would say it's not going to be ready for Easter mass this weekend. Crazy.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Gee, you think?

AFP news agency
    @AFP

#BREAKING Notre-Dame's main structure is "saved and preserved" after fire, says Paris fire official
    8:56pm · 15 Apr 2019

20. Likes:

Kingspoint (04-15-2019)

When I replayed the collapse of the center spire one click at a time in slow motion I could see in the smoke and fire oozing from it images of agony of at least 10 faces. After all, all energy never disappears. It mearly transforms itself from one mass to another. I always touch with my hands great buildings trying to connect to the energy of its past.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Some interior pictures starting to come out and it’s surprisingly well intact.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Some interior pictures starting to come out and it’s surprisingly well intact.
    Because the walls of the cathedral were almost all stone. All the wood is (probably) gone, though. And there was a LOT of wood (around 13000 trees). Some of the wood was, literally, more than a millennia old.

The rebuild will be one heck of a project. (I'll be really interested in the windows.)

Turn Off Ads?