Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Wood

Re: Alex Wood

I believe if you are on the 60-day DL you do not count as a roster spot during the season for the 40 man.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless Jeff View Post
    I believe if you are on the 60-day DL you do not count as a roster spot during the season for the 40 man.
    Correct - but the player must be added back to the 40 man roster (e.g. Scooter) when returning from the 60 day IL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Reds Media Relations

@RedsPR

LHP Alex Wood is expected to throw a bullpen with Louisville on Tuesday, then start for the Bats on rehab Thursday.

5. Likes:

BillDoran (06-23-2019),cumberlandreds (06-24-2019),Edd Roush (06-23-2019),JaxRed (06-23-2019),North (06-24-2019),RED VAN HOT (06-23-2019),Rolando (06-23-2019),Ron Madden (06-23-2019),Tom Servo (06-23-2019),wolfboy (06-23-2019)

Just in time to replace Castillo in the rotation
    What would you say.....ya do here?

If he can pitch, surely there’s room in the rotation. Somebody will have to go to middle relief. Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverfrontRed View Post
    If he can pitch, surely there’s room in the rotation. Somebody will have to go to middle relief. Take your pick.
    Disco's inability to retire lefties is sure going against him.

Combine that with the fact that he does have short spurts of looking really effective may lead to him being better as a reliever, assuming he can handle the quicker warmup and pitching multiple days in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

9. Likes:

BillDoran (06-23-2019),RiverfrontRed (06-23-2019)

Still not convinced this pitching staff is top tier. Statistically they're in pretty good shape, but sometimes it feels held together by duct tape. I think Derek Johnson has done a fantastic job, and Bell has done good work managing the staff. But with Castillo's recent struggles and Desclafani's continued difficulties and guys like Duke and Bowman getting consistent bullpen innings, Wood is welcome addition to the rotation.

Bumping Desclafani to the bullpen and giving him a significant load, while Wood hopefully acting as an upgrade in the rotation could be the recipe for some real improvement for the team. Here's hoping Wood is back to form and throwing meaningful innings for the Reds soon.

11. Likes:

OGB (06-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Still not convinced this pitching staff is top tier. Statistically they're in pretty good shape, but sometimes it feels held together by duct tape. I think Derek Johnson has done a fantastic job, and Bell has done good work managing the staff. But with Castillo's recent struggles and Desclafani's continued difficulties and guys like Duke and Bowman getting consistent bullpen innings, Wood is welcome addition to the rotation.

Bumping Desclafani to the bullpen and giving him a significant load, while Wood hopefully acting as an upgrade in the rotation could be the recipe for some real improvement for the team. Here's hoping Wood is back to form and throwing meaningful innings for the Reds soon.
    You can't really argue with the results but I agree that they're mostly a group of overachievers this season, they aren't Ryu/Buehler/Kershaw that's for sure. I'm not really concerned about the bullpen though.

I'll echo that I think Disco could potentially be a real weapon out of the pen when Wood returns, and certainly not an awful next-man-up if injury strikes.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Disco's inability to retire lefties is sure going against him.

Combine that with the fact that he does have short spurts of looking really effective may lead to him being better as a reliever, assuming he can handle the quicker warmup and pitching multiple days in a row.
    Very good point. He’d be my pick to drop to the BP. I’m in favor of that with or without Wood coming back.

IMO, the distinction between starters and relievers has never been clearer. Whoever is pushed out of the rotation should go to AAA and remain a starter. It looks to me as if the Reds made a clear determination concerning roles earlier in the year when Reed and Romano were assigned to relief and Mella, Gutierrez, and Sims were left as starters. By the time a pitcher reaches AAA, his best use should become apparent.

Reds starting pitching depth is shallow. Whoever goes to Louisville will be in the starter mix next year. Leave them in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    It looks to me as if the Reds made a clear determination concerning roles earlier in the year when Reed and Romano were assigned to relief and Mella, Gutierrez, and Sims were left as starters. By the time a pitcher reaches AAA, his best use should become apparent.
    Yeah but it hasn't worked at all. Sims and Reed seem to be the only two right now who look like they might have a future, with the former battling consistency issues in AAA and the latter injured.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

BillDoran (06-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Yeah but it hasn't worked at all. Sims and Reed seem to be the only two right now who look like they might have a future, with the former battling consistency issues in AAA and the latter injured.
    So far, you're right.

C. Trent Rosecrans

@ctrent

Alex Wood stretched in Indianapolis and felt some soreness. He didn't throw a bullpen. He'll go back to the doctor to follow-up.

Last edited by NebraskaRed; 06-25-2019 at 06:30 PM.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Wood gets easier to extend with each passing day.

Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

20. Likes:

Joey Blotto (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Wood gets easier to extend with each passing day.

I’m starting to think he just doesn’t want to pitch here🤔

Turn Off Ads?