Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    4 straight 1st round rookies to have their seasons significantly impacted by injuries. Terrible luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perhaps more to the point: The worst ownership the NFL has ever seen. I moved to this area 29 years ago and watched the Brown family operate for a few years. It was telling.
    Last edited by North; 06-25-2019 at 03:05 PM.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-25-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Perhaps more to the point: The worst ownership the NFL has ever seen.
    Not that the Mike Brown era has been good, but I think the Fords and Snyder have been worse. The Bengals have at least had periods of being consistently good, like the first 5 years of Dalton. They also got really unlucky with Palmer's injury that wrecked what appeared to be the beginning of a promising run. I think both the 2005 and 2015 teams were real Super Bowl contenders until they lost their QBs, Again, really terrible luck. Obviously Mike Brown has been bad, but he at least stumbled into doing some things right.

Snyder is a complete trainwreck. The NFC East gets a lot of publicity, but it's been pretty mediocre to bad, and the Redskins have been the worst team in the division. Snyder can't stop meddling, and there's constantly drama there. The Lions are historically even more inept than the Bengals.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-25-2019)

You make your own luck in this league or anything else in Life.

Excuses are for whiners, not winners.

It's on Bengals' Ownership, bottomline. You don't let your season be determined based on "luck". You either prepare for it and assume things happen or you let the excuses roll off your tongue while you keep cashing the checks.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-25-2019),Roy Tucker (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Perhaps more to the point: The worst ownership the NFL has ever seen. I moved to this area 29 years ago and watched the Brown family operate for a few years. It was telling.

What the hell does all that. Legit as it is. Have to do with the horrible bad luck with injured 1st round picks.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The thing about luck is...both good and bad fortune happen in about equal amounts to everyone. It's not the good fortune that helps or the bad fortune that hurts, but rather whether you're prepared and able to capitalize on the good fortune while minimizing the impact of the bad fortune.

If you're a cheap team that counts too much on the draft, doesn't scout well, and doesn't coach well, then bad fortune is going to sink you, and good fortune is never going to be built upon.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-25-2019),Kingspoint (06-25-2019),Revering4Blue (06-25-2019),Roy Tucker (06-25-2019),Tony Cloninger (06-25-2019)

Shades of WJ III tearing his pectoral muscle all over again. Not much the Bengals can do it's bad luck. I will be interested to see how Taylor and his staff handle the first bit of adversity especially after a great mini camp.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

It's bad luck when your two best seasons in the last 30 years are torpedoed by injuries to starting quarterbacks. It's front office incompetence that they've only had a couple of real chances in the last 30 years.

It doesn't really diminish the second point to acknowledge the first, and I'm sorry but they really have had a ridiculous run over the decades when it comes to first round picks and immediate injuries, particularly lately, even if you take out Ced who was drafted injured.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

13. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (06-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Not that the Mike Brown era has been good, but I think the Fords and Snyder have been worse. The Bengals have at least had periods of being consistently good, like the first 5 years of Dalton. They also got really unlucky with Palmer's injury that wrecked what appeared to be the beginning of a promising run. I think both the 2005 and 2015 teams were real Super Bowl contenders until they lost their QBs, Again, really terrible luck. Obviously Mike Brown has been bad, but he at least stumbled into doing some things right.

Snyder is a complete trainwreck. The NFC East gets a lot of publicity, but it's been pretty mediocre to bad, and the Redskins have been the worst team in the division. Snyder can't stop meddling, and there's constantly drama there. The Lions are historically even more inept than the Bengals.
    The 2005 team was incredibly overrated. We were “lucky” to be given the Palmer injury as an excuse for losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    You make your own luck in this league or anything else in Life.

Excuses are for whiners, not winners.

It's on Bengals' Ownership, bottomline. You don't let your season be determined based on "luck". You either prepare for it and assume things happen or you let the excuses roll off your tongue while you keep cashing the checks.
    You can really tell the difference between young and old fans. I’m assuming everyone talking about bad luck on twitter and message boards are substantially younger. We old farts have been around long enough to see that this is not bad luck. Remember, we drafted two OL to start the draft 4 years ago and neither is on the team anymore. Oh, and we let AW go too. Good job, good effort Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    You can really tell the difference between young and old fans. I’m assuming everyone talking about bad luck on twitter and message boards are substantially younger. We old farts have been around long enough to see that this is not bad luck. Remember, we drafted two OL to start the draft 4 years ago and neither is on the team anymore. Oh, and we let AW go too. Good job, good effort Bengals.
    I’m 34 but I remember the 90s. Hence my post.

Between being a UK football fan and pulling for the Bengals, football has been kinda meh for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

If a Center can be dominant, an O-Line can be dominant. Bengals needs to hope Price takes a huge leap forward. It's very possible, but Bobby Hart needs to get cut. He's not a Starter. He's not even depth.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I lived through the 90s. I realize the Bengals are a bad organization, but none of that changes the fact that 5 straight 1st round pick injuries is crazy bad luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 30 years.

30. Years.

As soon as Paul Brown died, and Mike Brown took over... not coincidentally enough.

Bad luck? For 30 years?

"Child please"...

They never should have let Whitworth go. That was stupid, and shortsighted. And they've been snakebit trying to replace him ever since. That darn bad luck...

Look... you can walk through a bad part of town, dangling an expensive camera, get mugged, and call it bad luck too, if it makes you feel any better.

Bottom line though, is the Bengals front office makes stupid decisions, usually penny smart and pound foolish, and more often than not it bites them in the butt. And they don't care. Because revenue sharing.

If they win 5 games this season or next, it would be a miracle. And if they draft Tua, I'll bet he holds out for eternity. I know I would.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    The Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 30 years.

30. Years.

As soon as Paul Brown died, and Mike Brown took over... not coincidentally enough.

Bad luck? For 30 years?

"Child please"...

They never should have let Whitworth go. That was stupid, and shortsighted. And they've been snakebit trying to replace him ever since. That darn bad luck...

Look... you can walk through a bad part of town, dangling an expensive camera, get mugged, and call it bad luck too, if it makes you feel any better.

Bottom line though, is the Bengals front office makes stupid decisions, usually penny smart and pound foolish, and more often than not it bites them in the butt. And they don't care. Because revenue sharing.

If they win 5 games this season or next, it would be a miracle. And if they draft Tua, I'll bet he holds out for eternity. I know I would.
    With all this being said, who would you have taken over Jonah Williams this year in the draft?

It sucks that he got hurt, but it’s not like there was anyone else available when the Bengals picked that would have made an impact.

Now watch Haskins win the NFC East and save Grudens job.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    With all this being said, who would you have taken over Jonah Williams this year in the draft?

It sucks that he got hurt, but it’s not like there was anyone else available when the Bengals picked that would have made an impact.

Now watch Haskins win the NFC East and save Grudens job.
    If they don't let Whitworth walk, they don't need Jonah. Glenn would have played RT instead of Bobby False Start Hart. Etc.Etc.Etc.

That's what I mean. We've seen one stupid penny pinching decision after another, snowball into bad luck and worse luck, time and time again.

The Bengals aren't disproportionately unlucky. They just have one if the worst team owners in the history of professional sports.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Turn Off Ads?