Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    They did it last year and got him injured:

Bengals QB Jeff Driskel has a broken arm because coaches asked him to take practice reps at WR

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/201...ctice-reps-wr/

This is just more of Brown never eating a player contract. Former C Russell Bodine was a prime example. He was an absolute turnstile for 4 years of starting. But by gum, he is getting paid so he must play. BUF picked up Bodine last year and soon relegated him to the bench.

The Bengals will always be the Bengals.
    It's football. Players get injured. What they are doing here is a very good decision, just as it was then.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

John Jerry has been getting attention at PFF and at bengalswire

Not only has Jerry had 4 consecutive seasons of positive grades from PFF, but he was named to their Pre-season Week 1 All-Star squad for his performance on Sunday. He had two false starts, but he allowed only one pressure on 21 pass-plays. That's significant because he was working with different Quarterbacks.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    John Jerry has been getting attention at PFF and at bengalswire

Not only has Jerry had 4 consecutive seasons of positive grades from PFF, but he was named to their Pre-season Week 1 All-Star squad for his performance on Sunday. He had two false starts, but he allowed only one pressure on 21 pass-plays. That's significant because he was working with different Quarterbacks.
    "He only had 2 false starts but he's one of the best OL on the team."

True Bengaldom.

They were holding calls - not false starts. Regardless, I have no clue who's going to start at LG, where they're now working in Michael Jordan or C, where they now have Price working with the twos with Hopkins in his place. That's certainly not what you want to see from last year's first round pick, but it's the way most of their recent first rounders have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Sure. But look at through the eyes of the owner: So far, Driskol has been paid $1,443,000. I have invested money. I will get my full value. So players stick around . Brown doesn't trade, and only makaes small splashes in FA. During the draft, they traded up, first time in years.

Always value, always a bargain. Sure he's injured, but it's a bargain.

Oh well...the B'gals are entertaining, if nothing else.
    This is ridiculous. You have to have a backup QB on the roster, and the Bengals have invested in that position. They really have nothing invested in Driskel other than the league minimum at that position. If it wasn't Driskel, it would have been someone else.

Injuries happen, especially in the pre-season. You need guys who aren't your starters to fill in about 8-10 quarters of football from now until the start of the season. I would rather see Driskel playing WR in the fourth quarter of preseason game #4 than Boyd.

But no, stupid Bengals.

7. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-14-2019),Kingspoint (08-14-2019),Tony Cloninger (08-14-2019)

I am going to decide that it's a good sign they are willing to be so flexible and get people looks, something Marvin Lewis didn't do too often.

I think it's likely desperation and a real downer when it comes to Price, but it's preseason so I'm going to keep my head in the sand for now.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    "He only had 2 false starts but he's one of the best OL on the team."

True Bengaldom.
    What part of: "he's received only positive grades for four consecutive years while making the team-of-the-week as one of the NFL's two best Guards for Preseason Week 1 from pro football focus" don't you understand? Not understanding this is either troll worthy, or you're so bitter with resentments about the Bengals you've lost the ability to see things for what they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I am going to decide that it's a good sign they are willing to be so flexible and get people looks, something Marvin Lewis didn't do too often.

I think it's likely desperation and a real downer when it comes to Price, but it's preseason so I'm going to keep my head in the sand for now.
    Of course this is it.

No other way to slice it this is a huge demotion for Price...He has been badly outplayed by Hopkins so far and has been disappointing given his draft status. I know Price said Turner wanted him to work on some things so hopefully he can rise to the occasion. If not how long before he ends up working with the guards.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    No other way to slice it this is a huge demotion for Price...He has been badly outplayed by Hopkins so far and has been disappointing given his draft status. I know Price said Turner wanted him to work on some things so hopefully he can rise to the occasion. If not how long before he ends up working with the guards.
    Nothing wrong with making players earn their playing time. It's the only way Zimmer operated and we know how successful he was. It's the only way they have done it in Pittsburgh and their success speaks for itself. It's the only way Belichick has ever done it and he's the most successful Coach ever.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Nothing wrong with making players earn their playing time. It's the only way Zimmer operated and we know how successful he was. It's the only way they have done it in Pittsburgh and their success speaks for itself. It's the only way Belichick has ever done it and he's the most successful Coach ever.
    It's fair to say that if you're not willing to work hard and compete, then your future in the NFL is probably limited to non-existent. Bengals fans are just not used to seeing such stark examples of it, which makes it a bit unnerving to watch.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

There may be nothing wrong with earning playing time, but when you take a center in the 1st round, you expect to have a guy be a fixture at that position for a decade. Having to fight for playing time for a 1st round center his second year is a huge red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    There may be nothing wrong with earning playing time, but when you take a center in the 1st round, you expect to have a guy be a fixture at that position for a decade. Having to fight for playing time for a 1st round center his second year is a huge red flag.
    Considering hes been hurt a couple of times are we not rushing the judgement just a bit. Maybe hes not an NFL Center as drafted, doesn't mean he cant be a solid OL.

15. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-15-2019)

I asked my dog about the quality of the Bengals 1st Round Picks these past few years...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I don't think the two statements are mutually exclusive.
    That a highly drafted player is having to earn his playing time is the right way for a coach to approach things.
    That he hasn't done so to this point is a huge red flag.

It would be a big disappointment if he turns out to not be a starter level offensive lineman, but the coach shouldn't make decisions based on trying to avoid disappointments.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I asked my dog about the quality of the Bengals 1st Round Picks these past few years...
    You can't keep swinging and missing on picks and yet over the last 3 seasons this team continues to do just that...does your dog need a job...perhaps something in the scouting dept.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

19. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-15-2019)

Turn Off Ads?