Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Cordy Glenn to Guard...Jonah Williams starting Left Tackle
    Thus the need to draft College's #1 blocking TE to put on his Left Side.

- - - Updated - - -

The optimism is good around camp.

Everything's certainly different.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Thus the need to draft College's #1 blocking TE to put on his Left Side.

- - - Updated - - -

The optimism is good around camp.

Everything's certainly different.
    Why would they put the TE on the left side?

Cordy Glenn to Guard...Jonah Williams starting Left Tackle
    They didn't sign Bobby Hart to sit him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He'll strictly be a blocking TE, to help out the rookie LT with short arms.

The defenses will all know this. So they'll pretty much ignore the TE in pass coverage, and cheat toward Green or whoever. Add this advantage to the other major advantage that opposing defenses already have against Dalton (take away the short/mid-range middle of the field because Dalton can't see over his linemen) and you can expect the Bengals passing game to be abysmal this season.

Their running game could have been good. But they'll have to do it against 8 in the box, and Dalton has a pretty sorry play action too, so no help there.

This offense should look much like the Kitna led offenses of the early 2000s. Blown out early, then lots of passing yards against the prevent. The defense is going to be bad. Really bad. They have Geno, WJIII, and that's pretty much it. Vegas has them at 6 wins, last I checked and I think that's being generous. My prediction is 4-12 if Dalton and/or Green stays healthy. If either goes down early, which they might, given the oline and injury history, they have a real chance at 0-16. Which would get them Tua, so there's that.

But there's a silver lining to Bengal seasons like these, if you live in Cincinnati: There will still be so many people watching the games. So it's the perfect time to go out a do stuff. Golf, whatever. No lines, no waiting. It's really awesome. And then when you get back home, check your phone, and see they lost by 3 touchdowns, you get the added bonus of knowing you didn't waste your afternoon watching Zac Taylor pad his Steakhouse Ownership resume'. Win/Win.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 05-22-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

6. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-22-2019),Revering4Blue (05-22-2019),Todd Gack (05-23-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    To Assist a Rookie LT who isn't ready to protect the QB?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post

The defenses will all know this. So they'll pretty much ignore the TE in pass coverage, and cheat toward Green or whoever. Add this advantage to the other major advantage that opposing defenses already have against Dalton (take away the short/mid-range middle of the field because Dalton can't see over his linemen) and you can expect the Bengals passing game to be abysmal this season.

Their running game could have been good. But they'll have to do it against 8 in the box, and Dalton has a pretty sorry play action too, so no help there.

This offense should look much like the Kitna led offenses of the early 2000s. Blown out early, then lots of passing yards against the prevent. The defense is going to be bad. Really bad. They have Geno, WJIII, and that's pretty much it. Vegas has them at 6 wins, last I checked and I think that's being generous. My prediction is 4-12 if Dalton and/or Green stays healthy. If either goes down early, which they might, given the oline and injury history, they have a real chance at 0-16. Which would get them Tua, so there's that.

But there's a silver lining to Bengal seasons like these, if you live in Cincinnati: There will still be so many people watching the games. So it's the perfect time to go out a do stuff. Golf, whatever. No lines, no waiting. It's really awesome. And then when you get back home, check your phone, and see they lost by 3 touchdowns, you get the added bonus of knowing you didn't waste your afternoon watching Zac Taylor pad his Steakhouse Ownership resume'. Win/Win.
    I'm picturing it more like the Lamonica-led Offenses of the Raiders,...lot's of running with plenty of deep shots to keep them honest and a lot of 8-15 yard passing over the middle to Boyd and Eifert. When the blocking TE is out, Ross comes in and opens up another running opportunity because of the deep threat on both sides and Boyd/Eifert in the middle.

Mixon will get 350+ touches.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-22-2019)

I know you are not the most positive person regarding the Bengals but Can we wait until at least PS until declaring this a bad offense and the #1 pick a possible failure because of short arms.
    Last edited by Tony Cloninger; 05-22-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Tony Cloninger, did you forget your comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Tony Cloninger, did you forget your comment?

I just recovered from reading his post and I have duly responded

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-22-2019)

This post reads like parody, but I don't think it is. I don't necessarily think the Bengals are going to be good this year, but this is ridiculous.

The Bengals didn't draft a LT in the first round with the expectation that he would require an extra blocker to chip for him on every play. Sample excels as a blocker, but he's good enough in the pass game that it's not like the Bengals are bringing in Jake Fisher as an extra blocker. He'll catch passes this year.

The fact that the Bengals have very good blocking TEs in Sample and Uzomah does not necessarily mean that they're going to be a run heavy team, although I expect them to heavily utilize Mixon, as the Rams heavily utilized Gurley. If you look at play success last year, runs were most effective with 0 TEs on the field and passes were most effective with 2 TEs on the field. The Rams had 2 TEs who were not very involved in the passing game, but I'd say their passing offense did ok. Between Green, Boyd and (hopefully) Ross, the Bengals have 3 guys who are very good. Giving those guys an extra second to get open is going to help the passing game immensely. If they're facing 8 man boxes, Green and Boyd are going to destroy defenses.

There's a good chance the defense is bad next year, although they did look better toward the end of last year once Marvin took over and simplified things. Dunlap, Lawson, Bates, Dennard, are all very good as well. Outside of Preston Brown, there's not a below average guy on the defense. Even Kirkpatrick, as maddening as he is, is about average.

The Bengals have the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL next season. I don't expect them to be great, but a lot of it hinges on how the new coaches do. The skill players are pretty good, and the biggest hole on offense last year was the line, which has been overhauled, except for Bobby Hart (which is pretty disappointing). The defense needs to stay healthy and really needs one of the LBs to take a step forward this year. Even if they don't end up good this year, it's silly to act like they don't have a plan. Taylor is replicating the building blocks of the Rams offense. McVay came in and built up the OL, knowing that his QB had some deficiencies, and then found some good skill players - a receiver who can do everything (Woods/Green), a guy who can take the top off a defense (Cooks/Ross), and a reliable safety valve (Kupp/Boyd) Who knows if it'll work, but there's definitely a plan.

16. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-22-2019),Kingspoint (05-22-2019),Tony Cloninger (05-22-2019)

If their Center can take a giant leap forward, and that's very possible, everything about the team dramatically improves.

18. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (05-22-2019),Hoosier Red (05-22-2019),Tony Cloninger (05-22-2019)

Joe Thomas had short arms as does Joe Staley and they all seem to have done just fine...it's all about the technique folks. Williams is a technician who will be a very good player for 10 plus years.

Other good news Redmond suspended for PED's and the Bengals have shown interest in Gerald McCoy.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Joe Thomas had short arms as does Joe Staley and they all seem to have done just fine...it's all about the technique folks. Williams is a technician who will be a very good player for 10 plus years.

Other good news Redmond suspended for PED's and the Bengals have shown interest in Gerald McCoy.
    Only problem is, half the league has shown an interest in McCoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Redmond busted for PED's, 4 game suspension. The train wreck continues.

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Redmond busted for PED's, 4 game suspension. The train wreck continues.
    What train wreck would that be? There were 26 players suspended at the start of 2018. Using this logic, it was a train wreck all over the place last season.

Turn Off Ads?