Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Redmond was borderline as to whether he'd even make the team

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am thrilled he got busted means he can't see the field for 4 games...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Joe Thomas had short arms as does Joe Staley and they all seem to have done just fine...it's all about the technique folks. Williams is a technician who will be a very good player for 10 plus years.

There is no better article...nothing...nothing even remotely close to explaining what we will expect to see from Jonah Williams playing LT for the Bengals.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...e-measurements

"Does arm length actually matter at the offensive tackle position in the NFL?

The short answer is, yes. All things being equal, a tackle with a longer reach is going to have an advantage over one with a shorter reach. The long answer though is a little more complicated."
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-23-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

5. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (05-23-2019),Redsfaithful (05-24-2019)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (05-24-2019),Crumbley (05-25-2019),Kingspoint (05-23-2019),WVRed (05-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    What train wreck would that be? There were 26 players suspended at the start of 2018. Using this logic, it was a train wreck all over the place last season.
    The train wreck of the the 2019 Bengals. Fired the head coach, then couldn't find a coach for the team, settled for anyone who would take the job, who couldn't put a coaching staff together, and had to hire guys with past issues. Draft a first round offensive linemen again, (that hasn't done well in recent times), now you have PED players. Its not even July yet.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Adam “Pacman” Jones officially retires

After a turbulent 12-year career in the NFL, Adam Jones is officially hanging up his cleats.

Jones broke the news on his Instagram story yesterday, announcing that: “It’s official that I’m done with the NFL, cuz”
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Obviously he felt the need to focus on his gambling career.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

11. Likes:

Crumbley (05-25-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    The train wreck of the the 2019 Bengals. Fired the head coach, then couldn't find a coach for the team, settled for anyone who would take the job, who couldn't put a coaching staff together, and had to hire guys with past issues. Draft a first round offensive linemen again, (that hasn't done well in recent times), now you have PED players. Its not even July yet.
    Regarding the head coach, this isn't correct. The Bengals settled on Taylor fairly early but couldn't officially hire him until the Rams' season was finished. Now if you want to say the same about their DC search, I'd definitely agree with you, but it doesn't apply to the head coach search.

As far as Alex Redmond, like was previously stated, who really cares? We've already tried to replace him by signing John Miller, and as last year showed, if we're counting on him to play, we're in serious trouble.

13. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-24-2019),RiverRat13 (05-25-2019),Tony Cloninger (05-24-2019),WVRed (05-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Regarding the head coach, this isn't correct. The Bengals settled Taylor fairly early but couldn't officially hire him until the Rams' season was finished. Now if you want to say the same about their DC search, I'd definitely agree with you, but it doesn't apply to the head coach search.
    The Cardinals and Broncos were in on Taylor as well.

The only issue on Jonah Williams is his arm length and to be fair it’s not an accurate measuring stick. Even if he doesn’t pan out at tackle, he could have a future at guard. Either way, the Bengals likely have a fixture on their o line for the next decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

15. Likes:

Boss-Hog (05-24-2019),Kingspoint (05-24-2019)

2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

It's amazing how much people are freaking out about taking a LT with short arms when a 5'10" QB was taken #1 after a 6'0" QB was taken #1 last year. Blindly looking at measurables is so silly. Guys can clearly work around limitations when they have other elite traits, as Baker, Kyler, and Jonah all do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-24-2019),Roy Tucker (05-24-2019),Tony Cloninger (05-24-2019)

People talking about his arms should really read that article Kingspoint posted - there's a gif in there of a play where he gets beaten completely because of his shorter arms, and he sits down, skids back like a 2-3 feet, and then still manages to recover, sit down, and plant himself to win the play.

I know you can't judge a guy completely from one play, but I'm a believer.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Im going in with zero expectations. I like this seeming shift to focus on running. I have my questions about how good our D will be this year, but it can't be much worse than last year. If this year shows some promise and we build towards drafting more defensive beasts next year, Ill feel a hell of a lot better.

Anyone here remember when they drafted Whitworth? He wasn't even supposed to start but if he did it was going to be as a guard. He was in no way projected to be a future LT for this team. It's insane to overthink this in May

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Anyone here remember when they drafted Whitworth? He wasn't even supposed to start but if he did it was going to be as a guard. He was in no way projected to be a future LT for this team. It's insane to overthink this in May
    That's only because Levi was there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    People talking about his arms should really read that article Kingspoint posted - there's a gif in there of a play where he gets beaten completely because of his shorter arms, and he sits down, skids back like a 2-3 feet, and then still manages to recover, sit down, and plant himself to win the play.

I know you can't judge a guy completely from one play, but I'm a believer.
    But, they also show every single play in the Championship game against another Top DE. End result: zero pressures.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    That's only because Levi was there.
    I'd put it slightly different. He only got to LT because of the injury to Levi Jones. The plan was for Whitworth to play G and leave Jones at LT for a long time

23. Likes:

Kingspoint (05-25-2019)

Turn Off Ads?