Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 69 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I lived through the 90s. I realize the Bengals are a bad organization, but none of that changes the fact that 5 straight 1st round pick injuries is crazy bad luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    None of those are that great or just plain suck anyway. Billy Price will end up being mediocre. Speaking of Price, I don’t remember him being injured.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    If they don't let Whitworth walk, they don't need Jonah. Glenn would have played RT instead of Bobby False Start Hart. Etc.Etc.Etc.

That's what I mean. We've seen one stupid penny pinching decision after another, snowball into bad luck and worse luck, time and time again.

The Bengals aren't disproportionately unlucky. They just have one if the worst team owners in the history of professional sports.
    If they don’t let AW walk, we don’t take Ohbreakme and Fisher. Pretty much all of our OL drafts have been terrible.

I mean, Williams was injured in NON-CONTACT drills! How the hell does that happen? Something doesn’t add up to me because they were quiet about it at first and wouldn’t even let Jonah talk about it to the press. My guess is instead of bad luck, there’s just more incompetence going on in the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    None of those are that great or just plain suck anyway. Billy Price will end up being mediocre. Speaking of Price, I don’t remember him being injured.
    He got hurt in week 2. I think ankle ligaments or something like that. Missed 7 weeks or so. William Jackson was a great pick who missed his rookie year. Ross has been a disappointment, but he's been injured so much that he's never really gotten a chance to settle in. His injuries are less bad luck though as the Bengals knew he was injury prone when they drafted him.

If they don't let Whitworth walk, they don't need Jonah. Glenn would have played RT instead of Bobby False Start Hart. Etc.Etc.Etc.

That's what I mean. We've seen one stupid penny pinching decision after another, snowball into bad luck and worse luck, time and time again.

The Bengals aren't disproportionately unlucky. They just have one if the worst team owners in the history of professional sports.
    Whitworth almost retired this year. He has one year left. Even if the Bengals had kept him, they would have likely taken Jonah Williams.

6. Likes:

plantmanky (06-26-2019)

Whitworth almost retired this year. He has one year left. Even if the Bengals had kept him, they would have likely taken Jonah Williams.

They wouldn't have finished in the same spots since Whitworth left, so they wouldn't have taken him. Marvin Lewis might even still have a job.

- - - Updated - - -

He got hurt in week 2. I think ankle ligaments or something like that. Missed 7 weeks or so. William Jackson was a great pick who missed his rookie year. Ross has been a disappointment, but he's been injured so much that he's never really gotten a chance to settle in. His injuries are less bad luck though as the Bengals knew he was injury prone when they drafted him.

He was also recovering from major injuries when we drafted him. He missed most all of the camps, or was a very limited participant in all of them.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

If they don’t let AW walk, we don’t take Ohbreakme and Fisher. Pretty much all of our OL drafts have been terrible.

I mean, Williams was injured in NON-CONTACT drills! How the hell does that happen? Something doesn’t add up to me because they were quiet about it at first and wouldn’t even let Jonah talk about it to the press. My guess is instead of bad luck, there’s just more incompetence going on in the organization.
    Being quiet about it is standard. When I got my MRI two weeks ago at PBS there were 4 Bengals in line (2 of them names you would know) geeing MRI's done. Ha vent heard a peep about any of them from the Bengals. Granted they could be just to look at old injuries make sure nothing new is injured, maybe not, again, quiet about it.

I dont think its a luck issue. If you have drafted OL in the early rounds in the past, and it doesnt pan out (multiple times) then dont draft OL in the early rounds.

This draft was perfect for the Bengals to trade down and make a FA acquisition with draft picks or move up in later rounds. Instead they made the (its what we are supposed to do pick---granted I think the take the LB Pittsburgh took if they hadn't punked the Bengals once again in the draft----).

The Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 30 years.

30. Years.

As soon as Paul Brown died, and Mike Brown took over... not coincidentally enough.

Bad luck? For 30 years?

"Child please"...

They never should have let Whitworth go. That was stupid, and shortsighted. And they've been snakebit trying to replace him ever since. That darn bad luck...

Look... you can walk through a bad part of town, dangling an expensive camera, get mugged, and call it bad luck too, if it makes you feel any better.

Bottom line though, is the Bengals front office makes stupid decisions, usually penny smart and pound foolish, and more often than not it bites them in the butt. And they don't care. Because revenue sharing.

If they win 5 games this season or next, it would be a miracle. And if they draft Tua, I'll bet he holds out for eternity. I know I would.
    What is the lovefest with Whitworth you guys have. He was a mid 30's OL that was going to make bank. Having Whitworth on this Bengals team doesnt change much.

- - - Updated - - -

At some point you have to draft Whits replacement dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    What is the lovefest with Whitworth you guys have. He was a mid 30's OL that was going to make bank. Having Whitworth on this Bengals team doesnt change much.

- - - Updated - - -

At some point you have to draft Whits replacement dont you?
    Having Whitworth means we don't waste draft picks (also on trading draft picks) on Cedric and Jake. We could've draft another worthless cornerback or another waste of space WR. The fact of the matter is, yes, we would have to replace Whitworth at some point. But we were in such a desperate need of OL that we HAD to take an OL this year no matter what. Because we let AW walk, it affected everything else about this team a few years ago and nothing has turned out well since.

12. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-26-2019),Kingspoint (06-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    I dont think its a luck issue. If you have drafted OL in the early rounds in the past, and it doesnt pan out (multiple times) then dont draft OL in the early rounds.

This draft was perfect for the Bengals to trade down and make a FA acquisition with draft picks or move up in later rounds. Instead they made the (its what we are supposed to do pick---granted I think the take the LB Pittsburgh took if they hadn't punked the Bengals once again in the draft----).
    What type of past are your referring to? The Cedric and Jake draft was terrible, but before that the early round OLineman were Whit, Levi and Willie. But don't let that skew your opinion.

Yea it stinks that he got hurt during non-contact drills his rookie season, but those types of injuries happen, all the time.

Having Whitworth means we don't waste draft picks (also on trading draft picks) on Cedric and Jake. We could've draft another worthless cornerback or another waste of space WR. The fact of the matter is, yes, we would have to replace Whitworth at some point. But we were in such a desperate need of OL that we HAD to take an OL this year no matter what. Because we let AW walk, it affected everything else about this team a few years ago and nothing has turned out well since.
    They drafted Ogbuehi and Fisher the year before Whitworth left.

15. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Essentially meaning they were the long term replacements on the o-line.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Essentially meaning they were the long term replacements on the o-line.
    Yes. They claimed that both were great value. The whole "Ogbuehi would have been a top 5 pick had he been healthy" company line made no sense to me. He gave up a bunch of sacks as a left tackle his last year at Texas A&M and I could never find anyone that said he was that highly thought of before he was hurt. But Todd Gack's timeline is still off. They let Whitworth walk because they thought Ogbuehi was going to be a long term answer, which may be even worse than having to take him in a panic because Whitworth was already gone.

So they had a plan. It's just that the plan was terrible.

18. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-26-2019)

Yes. They claimed that both were great value. The whole "Ogbuehi would have been a top 5 pick had he been healthy" company line made no sense to me. He gave up a bunch of sacks as a left tackle his last year at Texas A&M and I could never find anyone that said he was that highly thought of before he was hurt. But Todd Gack's timeline is still off. They let Whitworth walk because they thought Ogbuehi was going to be a long term answer, which may be even worse than having to take him in a panic because Whitworth was already gone.

So they had a plan. It's just that the plan was terrible.
    And even then, Fisher was taken in the second round. They had a chance for not only one, but two of those players to replace AW, and neither panned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Now why do you think that is? Their crappy evaluation that he had nothing left and he wasn’t worth the money turned out to be magnanimously wrong.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 06-29-2019 at 11:42 AM.

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-01-2019)

Turn Off Ads?