Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Re: 2019 Cincinnati Bengals Part 2: The Zac Taylor Era Begins!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I know how it happens. That wasn't my question.

How does it happen that the public affairs department of the Bengals lets out the news that his complete injury was only a low ankle sprain, and then a reporter has to reveal the true injury of a tear of the ACL?

That's the issue. There's no reason to believe anything still about the nature of injuries to Bengals' players. A new regime and nothing has changed.
    The injury happened initial reports were low ankle sprain...because it was a sprain. MRI happened the next day as a precaution (which is often what happens after someone sprains their ankle and swelling won't subside) and revealed torn ligaments...which ESPN reported. The PR dept can only reveal what they know at the time or what the team has told them. Most teams in the NFL keep injuries pretty close to the vest. You can bet we see AJ Green back by week 3/4, will he be up to speed probably not but half the season for torn ankle ligaments when preseason has not started would be insane even for the Bengals.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

2. Turn Off Ads?

No way Green is back by week 4, much less week 3. This is the Bengals. Their reputation precedes itself. My estimated range, based on experience, is AJ will be back no earlier than week 6, and may very well be lost for the season. He won't rush things this time, it's a contract year.

And, although perhaps not directly responsible for Green's injury, pretty much everyone is in agreement that the field was not acceptable by NFL standards... except, of course, Coach Zac Attack.

So... the lease expires in 2026. I wonder if there will be a vote, or if the Hamilton County commissioners will be in the Brown family's back pocket again?

#bobbedinhaus
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

I know how it happens. That wasn't my question.

How does it happen that the public affairs department of the Bengals lets out the news that his complete injury was only a low ankle sprain, and then a reporter has to reveal the true injury of a tear of the ACL?

That's the issue. There's no reason to believe anything still about the nature of injuries to Bengals' players. A new regime and nothing has changed.
    Unless there's something I missed, no one from the Bengals PR staff let out anything about the injury. The closest I saw was Hobson, but he was quick to point out they wouldn't know the full severity until the results of an MRI were in, and that's exactly what happened. Even if it was a low ankle sprain as was the initial report, ligament damage is not mutually exclusive to that injury. It's a low ankle sprain with torn ligaments.

What are you referring to regarding an ACL injury? Nothing about this has anything to do with an ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    No way Green is back by week 4, much less week 3. This is the Bengals. Their reputation precedes itself. My estimated range, based on experience, is AJ will be back no earlier than week 6, and may very well be lost for the season. He won't rush things this time, it's a contract year.

And, although perhaps not directly responsible for Green's injury, pretty much everyone is in agreement that the field was not acceptable by NFL standards... except, of course, Coach Zac Attack.

So... the lease expires in 2026. I wonder if there will be a vote, or if the Hamilton County commissioners will be in the Brown family's back pocket again?

#bobbedinhaus
    So it's a 6-8 week injury however I may buy the scenario of week 6 if 2 things happen...

1. AJ signs an extension and the team is overly cautious with him
    2. The Bengals go 0-3 and punt the season

Other then that he is going to play...come week 3/4

6. Likes:

Bob Sheed (07-29-2019)

The other thing clouding this issue is we are talking 6-8 weeks if no surgery...Green is getting a 2nd opinion today to see how he wants to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Who classifies as a reputable non-Bengals source? Didn't Adam Schefter report 6-8 weeks yesterday?
    Adam Shefter is a reputable non-Bengals source. Perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying.

I'm bummed about Ross. Since he was drafted, he's never caught one single break (other than winning the lottery, of course). This continues his pattern since H.S. He needs to be cut and replaced before the season starts, and I say this as one of his biggest supporters since he was drafted (after the fact, as I wanted someone completely different, who would havee been the right pick, of course).

From Rotoworld with Rotoworld comments:

Bengals.com reports John Ross could "possibly" miss two weeks with a hamstring injury.

Ross missed practice time with "tightness" during the spring and reportedly "struggled with consistency." He is getting off to the worst possible start with the Bengals' new coaching staff. Even were A.J. Green to miss regular season time, it's hard to see Ross making himself fantasy relevant in re-draft leagues.

SOURCE: bengals.com

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    The other thing clouding this issue is we are talking 6-8 weeks if no surgery...Green is getting a 2nd opinion today to see how he wants to proceed.
    As he should. $50M are on the line here. This isn't a decision that should be made strictly by the Bengals.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Unless there's something I missed, no one from the Bengals PR staff let out anything about the injury. The closest I saw was Hobson, but he was quick to point out they wouldn't know the full severity until the results of an MRI were in, and that's exactly what happened. Even if it was a low ankle sprain as was the initial report, ligament damage is not mutually exclusive to that injury. It's a low ankle sprain with torn ligaments.

What are you referring to regarding an ACL injury? Nothing about this has anything to do with an ACL.
    When Hobson speaks it's because a little birdie from the P.R. staff gave him the information and go-ahead to state certain information. Hobson has always been a speaker for the Public Relations Department of the Bengals. This is how it works.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

You missed the entire point!!!

"Torn ligaments", "ACL sprain", or whatever severe injury it was, is an entirely different ball of wax than a "low ankle sprain".

Since I have to spell it out once again, the severity of the injury initially released by the Bengals' P.R. staff through one of the main means they use to normally release any information about injuries was a completely different scenario than the information released by a reputable, non-Bemgals, NFL source (Adam Schefter).

The truth, something the Bengals never believe they should reveal to their fans, is more likely half a season, not 6-8 weeks, as reported by a reputable non-Bengals reporter,
    You missed the entire point!!!

"Torn ligaments", "ACL sprain", or whatever severe injury it was, is an entirely different ball of wax than a "low ankle sprain".

Since I have to spell it out once again, the severity of the injury initially released by the Bengals' P.R. staff through one of the main means they use to normally release any information about injuries was a completely different scenario than the information released by a reputable, non-Bemgals, NFL source (Adam Schefter).
    I'm confused by what you're saying Kingspoint because on one hand, you said that the 6-8 timeline is a fiction born of the Bengals PR staff, and on the other hand mention information released by a reporter you deem reputable (Adam Schefter). What doesn't make sense is that Schefter had the same 6-8 week time frame as everyone else and I've seen no one(outside of you) quote half a season. Forgive me if I've missed it.

Also, your screaming about the approach the Bengals took in releasing information but they have to go with what they know at the time. On Saturday, what was known was there was a sprained ankle but more tests had to be done to establish the severity. On Sunday, they got an MRI and it revealed the torn ligaments.
    So I'm trying to suss out what your actual complaint is in this instance;
    Do you think the Bengals knew about the torn ligaments but announced a less severe injury on Saturday?
    Do you think the Bengals should have not said anything about the injury on Saturday until they could get more definitive tests? I could perhaps buy this argument, but I don't think it would have done them any good. They announced what they knew, and what they were still testing which to me seems relatively reasonable.

It's not as though torn ligaments are a completely different injury than a sprained ankle. I mean, you can either sprain your ankle AND tear ligaments, or you can sprain your ankle WITHOUT tearing any ligaments. Right?
    It's not like they said it was sprained ankle and it was later revealed to be a broken hand.

So if the Bengals said, "It's a sprained ankle and we're going to run some more tests tomorrow to determine the severity," that basically holds up to scrutiny of what actually happened doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

If he is getting a 2nd opinion I would think an extension is all but signed.

Interesting quote from Taylor today...per FOX.

Zac Taylor on pushing back update on A.J. Green: "We just want some clarification from another doctor and we'll be good to go. Apologize for giving you false news yesterday (on update today), but expect to have better news tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm confused by what you're saying Kingspoint because on one hand, you said that the 6-8 timeline is a fiction born of the Bengals PR staff, and on the other hand mention information released by a reporter you deem reputable (Adam Schefter). What doesn't make sense is that Schefter had the same 6-8 week time frame as everyone else and I've seen no one(outside of you) quote half a season. Forgive me if I've missed it.

Also, your screaming about the approach the Bengals took in releasing information but they have to go with what they know at the time. On Saturday, what was known was there was a sprained ankle but more tests had to be done to establish the severity. On Sunday, they got an MRI and it revealed the torn ligaments.
    So I'm trying to suss out what your actual complaint is in this instance;
    Do you think the Bengals knew about the torn ligaments but announced a less severe injury on Saturday?
    Do you think the Bengals should have not said anything about the injury on Saturday until they could get more definitive tests? I could perhaps buy this argument, but I don't think it would have done them any good. They announced what they knew, and what they were still testing which to me seems relatively reasonable.

It's not as though torn ligaments are a completely different injury than a sprained ankle. I mean, you can either sprain your ankle AND tear ligaments, or you can sprain your ankle WITHOUT tearing any ligaments. Right?
    It's not like they said it was sprained ankle and it was later revealed to be a broken hand.

So if the Bengals said, "It's a sprained ankle and we're going to run some more tests tomorrow to determine the severity," that basically holds up to scrutiny of what actually happened doesn't it?
    This other than to say that any sprain, by nature, involves tearing of ligaments. The MRI simply showed more significant tearing than could be shown on the X-Ray that was done Saturday.

There is PLENTY to be critical about the way the Bengals operate, and I certainly will be, but in my opinion, you're just looking for a reason to criticize if you take major issue with the way this was handled. The 6-8 week timetable came from Adam Schefter, who, last I checked, doesn't work for the Bengals. As far as who gave him the information, it certainly could've been the Bengals, or it could just has easily been Green's camp. Everything I read from the Bengals cautioned the full extent wouldn't be known until an MRI was done on Sunday. Unfortunately, the MRI showed more significant tearing, and thus, the recovery timeframe is longer.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Interesting quote from Taylor today...per FOX.
    I saw that, too. I think "better news" likely means the update that had been promised today rather than "good news", but I certainly hope that isn't the case, and it is good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    This other than to say that any sprain, by nature, involves tearing of ligaments. The MRI simply showed more significant tearing than could be shown on the X-Ray that was done Saturday.

There is PLENTY to be critical about the way the Bengals operate, and I certainly will be, but in my opinion, you're just looking for a reason to criticize if you take major issue with the way this was handled. The 6-8 week timetable came from Adam Schefter, who, last I checked, doesn't work for the Bengals. As far as who gave him the information, it certainly could've been the Bengals, or it could just has easily been Green's camp. Everything I read from the Bengals cautioned the full extent wouldn't be known until an MRI was done on Sunday. Unfortunately, the MRI showed more significant tearing, and thus, the recovery timeframe is longer.
    Zac Taylor just apologized for giving us false news, which is exactly what I'm talking about. It's great when my comments are immediately backed up by the team.

The apology is the biggest thing here. Can't remember one incident in Marvin's regime where he apologized.

As a Bengals fan, one has to be elated that they have a Head Coach that actually respects their fans (Marvin was a big fat joke). That can always be embraced no matter how the team functions. I can give him respect back.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-29-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Zac Taylor just apologized for giving us false news, which is exactly what I'm talking about. It's great when my comments are immediately backed up by the team.
    He apologized for not having an update today when he previously said he'd have an update today. It has nothing to do with anything they reported on the injury being incorrect, which is apparently what you're arguing.

18. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-02-2019)

Turn Off Ads?