Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: IU Football-2019

Re: IU Football-2019

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    The combined conference record of the five B1G opponents IU beat this year (not counting wins amongst the group) was 2-29 with both wins over Illinois. With a terrible OOC conference they are about as weak an 8-4 B1G team as possible.
    Places that do real analysis seem to disagree that IU is about as bad of an 8-4 Big Ten team as possible. Football Outsiders has them ranked 41st according to FEI rankings, which is right there with Michigan State, Miss St, Kentucky, Tennessee. Seems about right to me. Their 4 big ten losses were against #6, #9, #13, and #25 at the time of the games. The teams they beat are bad, but it isn't like they got lucky and snuck out wins against everyone. The three better teams (Maryland, Purdue, Nebraska) were on the road. The beat NW and Rutgers handily at home.

IU beat the weaker big ten teams, but they also took Penn State to the wire on the road, and probably should have come out with a W but Big Ten officiating had other ideas. There might not be a lot of difference between Indiana and Minnesota, tbh.

That whole 2-29 stat is pretty pointless. You are basically just pointing out that the top half big ten teams don't lose that many games to the bottom half big ten teams, that the Ohio States and Michigan's don't lose to the lower teams often. Everyone already knew that.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-24-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    "So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Places that do real analysis seem to disagree that IU is about as bad of an 8-4 Big Ten team as possible. Football Outsiders has them ranked 41st according to FEI rankings, which is right there with Michigan State, Miss St, Kentucky, Tennessee. Seems about right to me. Their 4 big ten losses were against #6, #9, #13, and #25 at the time of the games. The teams they beat are bad, but it isn't like they got lucky and snuck out wins against everyone. The three better teams (Maryland, Purdue, Nebraska) were on the road. The beat NW and Rutgers handily at home.

IU beat the weaker big ten teams, but they also took Penn State to the wire on the road, and probably should have come out with a W but Big Ten officiating had other ideas. There might not be a lot of difference between Indiana and Minnesota, tbh.

That whole 2-29 stat is pretty pointless. You are basically just pointing out that the top half big ten teams don't lose that many games to the bottom half big ten teams, that the Ohio States and Michigan's don't lose to the lower teams often. Everyone already knew that.
    Excellent analysis. IU looked good but Rutgers also took PSU into the second half. The B1G was top heavy this year, but the bottom 4-5 teams were really bad. The middle tier was IU, Illinois and Mich State.

One of the few interesting bowl game matchups

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    You got me lost on IU's 5 wins and the combined record of those they beat. Off memory Purdue and Nebraska both went 3-6 in conference. Northwestern and Maryland both went 1-8. Rutgers never won.

As far as the money that has become a sore spot for Hoosier fans. The IU President is not a sports lover. Therefore, he doesn't put that TV money into what it should go to.
    9-36 combined record, but 2-29 in games outside the bottom five pod. The Bottom of the B1G was really bad this year

Excellent analysis. IU looked good but Rutgers also took PSU into the second half. The B1G was top heavy this year, but the bottom 4-5 teams were really bad. The middle tier was IU, Illinois and Mich State.

One of the few interesting bowl game matchups
    Penn State also beat Rutgers 27-6. Indiana outgained PSU by almost 100 yards, the main difference was some questionable officiating on turnovers in a 7 point game. In my full assessment of the IU season, I would sum it up as I have no idea what to make of it. It could be pretty much a mirage, or it could be fairly legit and the weaker big ten wins are just a by product. It is really hard to gauge since they barely played anyone that wasn't top 10 or bottom 3rd of the country. MSU, Nebraska, and Purdue are the only teams that fell in the middle but they all had their own issues throughout the season.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

7. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-24-2019),Revering4Blue (12-24-2019)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Lest us not forget there were a plenty that thought Nebraska was gonna win the BIG west.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-24-2019)

"So Fla Red"

Impressive. This is the first ever Florida bowl game in 132 years of Indiana Football? That is crazy

Impressive. This is the first ever Florida bowl game in 132 years of Indiana Football? That is crazy
    Welcome to my world...

Game day...time to see how the Hoosiers stack up.

Game day...time to see how the Hoosiers stack up.
    Looking forward to it. I'm wearing my Orange and flying my flag outside my house. Only problem is, win or lose I'll be sad afterwards 'cause I'll have to wait 8 months for the next game.

Simon Stepaniak will not play due to injury. Is he any good? Is this a loss for IU?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Simon Stepaniak will not play due to injury. Is he any good? Is this a loss for IU?
    Yes, it hurts.

Ugly 1st half UT up 6-3

Tennessee turnovers are ugly

19-9 IU, Hoosiers driving

Turn Off Ads?