Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: IU Football-2019

Re: IU Football-2019

I took Indiana and the 26.5 points this week vs Rutgers. I've followed the Hoosier football program for decades. They were always seen as a lower-tier B10 team. And I don't say that in a derogatory manner. I've always kept saying to myself "Someday this program is going to hit on it, get it right". Mallory did the best he could, and was the closest they came. It just befuddles me.

Is it simply money? Not investing enough in their football program? They always seem to field pretty good offenses, but their defenses have been mediocre to bad, and their sore spot.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-11-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I took Indiana and the 26.5 points this week vs Rutgers. I've followed the Hoosier football program for decades. They were always seen as a lower-tier B10 team. And I don't say that in a derogatory manner. I've always kept saying to myself "Someday this program is going to hit on it, get it right". Mallory did the best he could, and was the closest they came. It just befuddles me.

Is it simply money? Not investing enough in their football program? They always seem to field pretty good offenses, but their defenses have been mediocre to bad, and their sore spot.
    Hoosier fans could go back and forth for months as to the reasons why it is like it is. But most close to the program would all agree, right here and now, that the IU President isn't helping matters in the least. He doesn't give a damn about sports.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-11-2019)

A little bit of everything to be honest. IU is starting from behind the pack, they're pushed further to the back (along with Rutger and Maryland) because they're practically written a ceiling of 2-4 on B1G East division games, they're further challenged by not investing on the same level(when they really need to spend even more than competitors to be honest.)
    All that being said, I don't think there's anything I trust less than IU and a double digit point spread.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

7. Likes:

The last 6-8 years (Wilson and Allen eras) their overall talent level is actually up to par with big ten caliber programs, in the past they were more of a Conference USA/MAC caliber talent level. They are hurt by playing in the east, and they simply can't seem to get all facets of the game clicking during a season. In the Wilson era it was all offense and no defense, Wilson brings in Allen who fixed the defense but out QB's stunk. This year our defense looks like a weak spot.

Have to say I am with you on the -26.5. I think if it wasn't for "Indiana football" that line would be closer to 35, Rutgers has been that bad. Now I will say Indiana seems to struggle to cover big totals, but the offense looks different with Penix at the helm.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

9. Likes:

Thanks guys. When I look at my neighbor next door (Indiana), and college football programs, schools like Notre Dame and even Purdue had their periods. And I'm glad to see ND rising again. And there have been some great players come out of those two programs over the years. But IU? I look at their NFL draft history, impact offensive players taken in the higher rounds, you have to go back to Randle-El. It's not a good record.

While the issues may be many, it seems recruiting, getting high level talent to commit to IU, is one of them. But to IU's defense - as well as a majority of these small-to-midsized schools (even in these Power conferences) - how are they suppose to compete for high level, national talent with the likes of the "bog boys" - not just in their conference, but on a national scale - who are at a marked advantage to begin with? And IU could offer a recruit the sun, the moon, and the stars and, IMO, it wouldn't matter because those other programs can match that plus more. Where is that player going to go to increase his chances on the national stage of getting recognized? Sadly, not IU or so many other programs.

IU's football program has been "down" for so long, it is what it is, it's hard to recruit solid talent when that player has so many other (better) options (if he's good).

But then I look at IU's basketball program, which, historically has had phenomenal success on the national stage, has always been a very competitive program .. and ask "Why not their football program?"

And the only thing that comes to mind is Ted Knight's response in Caddyshack.... "Well, the world (B1G) needs ditch diggers too!"

In every one of the Power Conferences you have your lower tier programs that the big guys feast on. I just enjoy it when one of those underdogs does raise up and play David vs Goliath once in awhile. It happens.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

And IU covers...

12. Likes:

GAC (10-13-2019)

Thanks guys. When I look at my neighbor next door (Indiana), and college football programs, schools like Notre Dame and even Purdue had their periods. And I'm glad to see ND rising again. And there have been some great players come out of those two programs over the years. But IU? I look at their NFL draft history, impact offensive players taken in the higher rounds, you have to go back to Randle-El. It's not a good record.

While the issues may be many, it seems recruiting, getting high level talent to commit to IU, is one of them. But to IU's defense - as well as a majority of these small-to-midsized schools (even in these Power conferences) - how are they suppose to compete for high level, national talent with the likes of the "bog boys" - not just in their conference, but on a national scale - who are at a marked advantage to begin with? And IU could offer a recruit the sun, the moon, and the stars and, IMO, it wouldn't matter because those other programs can match that plus more. Where is that player going to go to increase his chances on the national stage of getting recognized? Sadly, not IU or so many other programs.

IU's football program has been "down" for so long, it is what it is, it's hard to recruit solid talent when that player has so many other (better) options (if he's good).

But then I look at IU's basketball program, which, historically has had phenomenal success on the national stage, has always been a very competitive program .. and ask "Why not their football program?"

And the only thing that comes to mind is Ted Knight's response in Caddyshack.... "Well, the world (B1G) needs ditch diggers too!"

In every one of the Power Conferences you have your lower tier programs that the big guys feast on. I just enjoy it when one of those underdogs does raise up and play David vs Goliath once in awhile. It happens.
    I think trying to pinpoint the reason for a sport's long failure is pretty difficult. If I had to start, it'd be Fred Glass isn't a particularly good AD. McRobbie doesn't give a damn about sports, and he shouldn't. He's the president of an academic institution, and sports are intended to be secondary. A recent ranking of athletic department spending had IU at No. 9 in the B1G, between Illinois and Minnesota (link). If you're trying to solve success, spending may be the best guess.

I do think, and it's been mentioned on here before, that IU is a basketball school, and however that materializes (coaches' salaries, facilities, fan support, recruiting advantage) does seem to matter. As an Ohioan that graduated from IU, I was blown away by the support for the basketball team. The only thing I could compare it to was Ohio State football. And I think IU football suffers for that. I was also mildly surprised to see how little interest there was in football. Going to a football game was a lark ("Never lost a tailgate!"). Nobody expected much, nor really cared. It was a reason to socialize. A win was a pleasant surprise. I do think some sustained success would gin up the energy.

But the inability to string together successful football seasons means you have fewer diehards, few folks that keep coming back because of that legacy, that 10-year run where they dominated the conference. It probably goes without saying, but every successful season produces lifelong fans. Multiple successful seasons compound that interest. Bigger success does the same. Since they've never really distinguished themselves, they have very little vested interest in the program; fewer folks willing to buy season tickets or sit through an expected loss. They don't have anything to buoy their spirit to. They don't recall how exciting it was when the team was great while they were in school. It's an afterthought for the vast majority of IU fans.

And I suspect it'll remain that way. It's harder for the football program to get out of the shadow of basketball. Everybody pegs the IU fandom to basketball. Football success is a nice surprise. And because of that and their inability to create sustained energy around the program, it's a steep climb.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-13-2019),GAC (10-13-2019),Hoosier Red (10-21-2019),Revering4Blue (10-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I think trying to pinpoint the reason for a sport's long failure is pretty difficult. If I had to start, it'd be Fred Glass isn't a particularly good AD. McRobbie doesn't give a damn about sports, and he shouldn't. He's the president of an academic institution, and sports are intended to be secondary. A recent ranking of athletic department spending had IU at No. 9 in the B1G, between Illinois and Minnesota (link). If you're trying to solve success, spending may be the best guess.

I do think, and it's been mentioned on here before, that IU is a basketball school, and however that materializes (coaches' salaries, facilities, fan support, recruiting advantage) does seem to matter. As an Ohioan that graduated from IU, I was blown away by the support for the basketball team. The only thing I could compare it to was Ohio State football. And I think IU football suffers for that. I was also mildly surprised to see how little interest there was in football. Going to a football game was a lark ("Never lost a tailgate!"). Nobody expected much, nor really cared. It was a reason to socialize. A win was a pleasant surprise. I do think some sustained success would gin up the energy.

But the inability to string together successful football seasons means you have fewer diehards, few folks that keep coming back because of that legacy, that 10-year run where they dominated the conference. It probably goes without saying, but every successful season produces lifelong fans. Multiple successful seasons compound that interest. Bigger success does the same. Since they've never really distinguished themselves, they have very little vested interest in the program; fewer folks willing to buy season tickets or sit through an expected loss. They don't have anything to buoy their spirit to. They don't recall how exciting it was when the team was great while they were in school. It's an afterthought for the vast majority of IU fans.

And I suspect it'll remain that way. It's harder for the football program to get out of the shadow of basketball. Everybody pegs the IU fandom to basketball. Football success is a nice surprise. And because of that and their inability to create sustained energy around the program, it's a steep climb.
    Great post/reply.

I was fortunate to witness IU's football success from the mid 80's into the early 90's. Good times for me. I have stated before I just want to go to a bowl every year or so and I would be happy. I miss Coach Mallory(RIP).

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Great post/reply.

I was fortunate to witness IU's football success from the mid 80's into the early 90's. Good times for me. I have stated before I just want to go to a bowl every year or so and I would be happy. I miss Coach Mallory(RIP).
    I think had Coach Hep not passed they would be close to what they were under Mallory. IU has actually put some decent players in the pros lately, Tevin Coleman comes to mind among others.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I think had Coach Hep not passed they would be close to what they were under Mallory. IU has actually put some decent players in the pros lately, Tevin Coleman comes to mind among others.
    I concur about Hep. Jordan Howard, Nate Sudfeld, Tracy Porter, James Hardy...and quite a few OLmen

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-13-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Have to say I am with you on the -26.5. I think if it wasn't for "Indiana football" that line would be closer to 35, Rutgers has been that bad. Now I will say Indiana seems to struggle to cover big totals, but the offense looks different with Penix at the helm.
    Might be time to quit my day job.

On a serious note, big game coming up for IU next weekend at Maryland. Looking like oddsmakers have it as a coin flip, but if IU is going to have a successful year it is a game they should win. If they can win in convincing fashion we might have a special season (by IU standards) in the works.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

21. Likes:

BillDoran (10-14-2019),Hoosier Red (10-19-2019),Sea Ray (10-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Might be time to quit my day job.

On a serious note, big game coming up for IU next weekend at Maryland. Looking like oddsmakers have it as a coin flip, but if IU is going to have a successful year it is a game they should win. If they can win in convincing fashion we might have a special season (by IU standards) in the works.
    These are the types of games that "WE" have failed miserably at in the past. And it pisses me off and challenges my IU football fandom. The Hoosiers have a very realistic chance to go 8-4 this year, but misery from the past says I will be ecstatic with 6-6. Just win the games you should, that is all I ask. Beating the big boys is just gravy on top.

23. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-14-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    These are the types of games that "WE" have failed miserably at in the past. And it pisses me off and challenges my IU football fandom. The Hoosiers have a very realistic chance to go 8-4 this year, but misery from the past says I will be ecstatic with 6-6. Just win the games you should, that is all I ask. Beating the big boys is just gravy on top.
    It’s IU football, we all know how it’s going to end...needing a win in the bucket game to get bowl eligible and they will be blown out. Shampoo, rinse,repeat.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

25. Likes:

Assembly Hall (10-14-2019),elrojo (10-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    It’s IU football, we all know how it’s going to end...needing a win in the bucket game to get bowl eligible and they will be blown out. Shampoo, rinse,repeat.
    But as always I think we are turning the corner...for my entire lifetime.

27. Likes:

Griffey012 (10-15-2019)

Bam, IU survives. Need 1 more win...but I think we can get at least 3 more.

Turn Off Ads?