Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Casali vs Barnhart

Re: Casali vs Barnhart

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Catching is a defense first position. The most defense former position on the field besides pitcher.

The Reds are actually middle of the pack in terms of offensive production from the catcher position in the majors right now. Ranked 15 out of 30.

As long as they are providing solid defense, and it does look that way so far, I’m not worried one bit about the Reds catchers, nor am I changing anything.
    The Reds are a below .500 team and need to see if they can find answers to move the needle. Sticking with Barnhart is the exact opposite of that. Farmer wasn't a huge prospect, but he was actually more highly regarded than either Barnhart or Casali as a minor leaguer. Why not give him a shot? He's played well in limited opportunities. I think on a team like this, that should mean more opportunities.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

HokieRed (05-05-2019),Old school 1983 (06-08-2019),Ron Madden (05-06-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I’m nit giving up defense at catcher in the hopes of maybe getting more offense.

I’m not worried about catcher, I’m much more worried about Votto and bullpen.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    So, when do we give Farmer some starts behind the plate? Barnhart with a .634 OPS. Casali also below .700. Farmer at almost 1.000 in a limited role. The reds have Suarez, a mainstay, at 3B. They have about 6 Million guys who can play 2B (glad they figured it out and moved Senzel to the pencil thin OF). Catcher is a place that might get a jolt from adding Farmer to the mix.
    I like the idea. I think it's what they might have wanted to do with Connor Joe if he'd been able to handle the position. Most reports have Farmer as at least a solid if not above average receiver, and lot of catchers are late bloomers. I'd increase his playing time primarily by cutting into Barnhart's, I think it would benefit both of them.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (05-06-2019)

If you want to move the needle in areas of weakness in the club, barnhart and Peraza are the guys I look to move

8. Likes:

HokieRed (05-06-2019),malcontent (05-06-2019)

I have no idea what Farmer looks like at catcher, but if he can handle the position, I would be all for giving him a solid look at the position. I do not think Tucker can be viewed as part of the future. The FO decided to move on from one of the best CF's in the game because he was just too much of a liability at the plate.....Tucker is not much better. Billy has a career BA of .244....Tuckers is .251, and Tucker has minimal power.

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    I have no idea what Farmer looks like at catcher, but if he can handle the position, I would be all for giving him a solid look at the position. I do not think Tucker can be viewed as part of the future. The FO decided to move on from one of the best CF's in the game because he was just too much of a liability at the plate.....Tucker is not much better. Billy has a career BA of .244....Tuckers is .251, and Tucker has minimal power.
    Tucker is signed to a very team friendly contract through 2022. Including this season. $11M total $3M this season and $4M each of the next two seasons. That doesn’t get you a back up catcher on the free agent market.

Tucker is signed to a very team friendly contract through 2022. Including this season. $11M total $3M this season and $4M each of the next two seasons. That doesn’t get you a back up catcher on the free agent market.
    So with Tucker as the backup, his contract would be reasonable.

How much do you think a backup catcher makes?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Tucker’s BB/K rate is better than his career average, as is is ISOP. The only difference in his numbers this year is in his BABIP, which is super low, like most Reds this season. When that normalizes, he’ll likely be around .700 OPS, which, when paired with his Gold Glove defense, makes him a solid starting catcher.

He’s not a worry this season.

I think you are way off here. $4 Million would get you something about like Tucker Barnhart. He's not a bargain. He's OK. Martin Maldonado is basically Tucker Barnhart. Not quite as good with the stick, but a better defender than Barnhart ever was, even in Barnhart's gold glove year. He signed as a FA for 2.5 Million this year. The only reason people perceive Tucker as being so valuable is because he's locked up for a reasonable (not necessarily bargain) deal. He's fungible.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Tucker’s BB/K rate is better than his career average, as is is ISOP. The only difference in his numbers this year is in his BABIP, which is super low, like most Reds this season. When that normalizes, he’ll likely be around .700 OPS, which, when paired with his Gold Glove defense, makes him a solid starting catcher.

He’s not a worry this season.
    Well barnhart has never had year were he has been a solid starter I cant agree there. Throw in the fact that he cant throw out runners anymore he is a backup at best.
    Crazy Reds Fan

I’m nit giving up defense at catcher in the hopes of maybe getting more offense.

I’m not worried about catcher, I’m much more worried about Votto and bullpen.
    You really are a ride or die member of the Tucker Barnhart Fan Club aren't you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    You noticed that too
    Crazy Reds Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Well barnhart has never had year were he has been a solid starter I cant agree there. Throw in the fact that he cant throw out runners anymore he is a backup at best.
    Barnhart is one if seven MLB catchers who qualifies as a starter from 2017-2018. And in 2017, he put up a 3.3 bWAR. I don’t use fWAR for catchers because they include the wildly unreliable “pitch framing” stats, (it’s funny Tucker has goos PF stats when the Reds had decent pitchers, then when they didn’t his PF suffere, and now that they have good ones again, his PF are good too)

Go throughout the league, you will not find 30 better catchers than Barnhart. He is not a backup, he is not backup quality. It’s a narrative that some here have pushed that facts don’t back up. Except if you buy into the very flimsy pitch framing numbers.

19. Likes:

DocRed (05-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I am just the only one paying attention to the facts, and not buying into the narrative that some are trying to spin about him.

As I have pointed out numerous times, when the new pitch framing numbers came out, his reputation took a hit. But now that the Reds have good pitchers, his pitch framing numbers are back bring good again, and likewise, his fWAR is doing fine. I don’t believe his fWAR or any catcher’s for that matter, but for those that were swayed by them, they should be back on the Tucker Barnhart fan club bandwagon again.

And for me, why I like him the most is that pitchers love to pitch to him. That’s the number one quality I look for in a catcher.

Turn Off Ads?