Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Casali vs Barnhart

Re: Casali vs Barnhart

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    My apologies for the accusation. I didn't realize you were just a simple unfrozen caveman lawyer
    I confused and frightened.

2. Likes:

757690 (05-06-2019),Old school 1983 (06-08-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Zinger View Post
    Fill me in on why TB should get double the at bats of CC.

Platoon? Contract? Familiarity with staff? Defense? Favoring home grown players?

I haven't watched much when CC plays, so I can only speak of his stats, not style.
    CC is a .225 career hitter...

His bat is actually respectable for a catcher. He ranks 16th overall of catchers from 2017 to now with at least 750 PA's. He's actually 18th in overall fWAR, which is impressive considering how much he gets dinged for his pitch framing.

The guys ahead of him are all crazy expensive. He is not easily replaceable. Not in the least.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...rs=0&sort=17,d
    If he was difficult to replace he would post more than 0.4 war per 500 plate appearances. There are scrubs doing just as well when they play.... I think tucker is a better defender than being credited for, and am fine with him in the long side of the platoon they are using him as.... but you are painting a very narrow view of how value is actually realized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm not mad, I just type aggressively"
    -Rdirtypirates (Sep 6, 2023)

6. Likes:

Rolando (05-07-2019)

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I remember Casalis catcher era being over a run better than Barnhart last season.

Casali is 30 years old, and his career numbers certainly don't speak volume. Of course don't take that as an endorsement of Barnhart either. I like having a catching tandem. Almost like having that solid 4th OFer. Is there a more demanding job, physically, on the field then the catcher position? My primary concern is how they handle their position defensively and work with pitchers.

If one wants the total package then you either develop it or pay for that established player big time in the market. Or you go out and get a Casali (LOL). And other then Stephenson, I don't see too much in our farms system at the position.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

More
    Curt
    Casali
    Please
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

10. Likes:

Ben Zinger (06-02-2019),malcontent (06-07-2019),mth123 (05-31-2019),Old school 1983 (06-08-2019),wally post (06-01-2019)

Another miserable night for Barnhart. Please let casali play a bulk of the time for a while and see what happens
    Crazy Reds Fan

12. Likes:

MG NorCal (06-11-2019)

Tucker was on base three times today.

He made a throwing error that was really stupid, so I understand the knee jerk reaction, but he wasn’t miserable tonight.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Tucker was on base three times today.

He made a throwing error that was really stupid, so I understand the knee jerk reaction, but he wasn’t miserable tonight.
    Two of those were IBB to get to the pitcher, 757690. A blow-up doll would have received the same treatment.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

15. Likes:

fielder's choice (06-08-2019),MG NorCal (06-11-2019),mth123 (06-08-2019),Qball (06-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Two of those were IBB to get to the pitcher, 757690. A blow-up doll would have received the same treatment.
    Fair enough, but he was 1-2 in his other PA’s, including a hit to start the ninth. Not a miserable night.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Fair enough, but he was 1-2 in his other PA’s, including a hit to start the ninth. Not a miserable night.
    People...including me...are just frustrated that Casali isn't the main catcher. To me, it's just another example how Bell is slow on the draw. Playing Peraza over Dietrich at 2B, even against RHP, was another example of incredibly poor judgement.

I know a lot of people feel the manager isn't that crucial, that it's 90% the players. I'm not one of those guys. I think he's an improvement over Price, but anyone would be that.

I also feel that he manages as if he's got a 3-year contract. No real urgency to win now.
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-07-2019 at 11:12 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    People...including me...are just frustrated that Casali isn't the main catcher. To me, it's just another example how Bell is slow on the draw. Playing Peraza over Dietrich at 2B, even against RHP, was another absolutely pathetic example.

I know a lot of people feel the manager isn't that crucial, that it's 90% the players. I'm not one of those guys. I see Bell being just "good enough" to serve at least 2 of his 3 years. Which is still an improvment over Price, but anything would be that.
    It’s a platoon. There is no “main” catcher right now. Barnhart is getting more playing time because there are more RH pitchers.

Also, remember when people were calling for Schebler to get more playing time? Sometimes players succeed in a limited role because they are matched up against pitchers they do well against. Start giving Casali more playing time, and there’s no guarantee he keeps up his currenr production.

Catcher was never expected to lead the offense. Several of the main hitters have not performed. Blame them.

A change in the catcher may be warranted, not disagreeing. But other than Suarez and a couple of others, the team hasn’t hit, including guys who are paid specifically to do just that.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-07-2019 at 11:37 PM.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-08-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Catcher was never expected to lead the offense. Several of the main hitters have not performed. Blame them.

A change in the catcher may be warranted, not disagreeing. But other than Suarez and a couple of others, the team hasn’t hit, including guys who are paid specifically to do just that.
    I totally agree alot of hitters deserve blame I just like to what Casali could do with more at bats. For all I know he'll fall flat on his face but I'd like to give it a try because the bar not very high to improve over barnhart
    Crazy Reds Fan

22. Likes:

malcontent (06-08-2019),Old school 1983 (06-08-2019)

It’s a platoon. There is no “main” catcher right now. Barnhart is getting more playing time because there are more RH pitchers.

Also, remember when people were calling for Schebler to get more playing time? Sometimes players succeed in a limited role because they are matched up against pitchers they do well against. Start giving Casali more playing time, and there’s no guarantee he keeps up his currenr production.
    You might be right he might not do any good starting more casali but right now barnhart is give them negative value. Barnhart definitely isn't the only one doing that so I don't want to put it on him but he's definitely part of the the mess
    Crazy Reds Fan

24. Likes:

757690 (06-08-2019)

Turn Off Ads?