Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

Re: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

When this thread began Iglesias was hitting .310 - .349 - .450 through his first 106 PA's (31 games), since then he's hit .271 - .317 - .381 in an additional 126 PA's (33 games).

The later numbers look much more like the combined .259 - .301 - .364 stat line he put up during the 2016, 2017, and 2018 seasons. That three year stat line (in addition to possible unreasonable salary demands at the start of free agency) ultimately led him to signing a minor league contract this past winter.

I'm wondering, have any of you, who wanted to give him an extension, changed your mind? What about the value of the extension you had in mind a month ago? Has Peraza's dreadful season altered that view (FYI: Peraza since May 7th is hitting similarly to Iglesias; .243 - .317 - .405 in 82 PA's (30 games))?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    When this thread began Iglesias was hitting .310 - .349 - .450 through his first 106 PA's (31 games), since then he's hit .271 - .317 - .381 in an additional 126 PA's (33 games).

The later numbers look much more like the combined .259 - .301 - .364 stat line he put up during the 2016, 2017, and 2018 seasons. That three year stat line (in addition to possible unreasonable salary demands at the start of free agency) ultimately led him to signing a minor league contract this past winter.

I'm wondering, have any of you, who wanted to give him an extension, changed your mind? What about the value of the extension you had in mind a month ago? Has Peraza's dreadful season altered that view (FYI: Peraza since May 7th is hitting similarly to Iglesias; .243 - .317 - .405 in 82 PA's (30 games))?
    I'd still extend him. I don't think the Reds have an in house option. I think Peraza is simply too poor a defender at SS to be the every day player there. He's fine as a utility guy on the bench who plays SS on occasion, but I don't like him there for the bulk of the games. It would have to be a cheap extension, and I'd still look for an upgrade if I could find it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

JFLegal (06-17-2019),Revering4Blue (06-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd still extend him. I don't think the Reds have an in house option. I think Peraza is simply too poor a defender at SS to be the every day player there. He's fine as a utility guy on the bench who plays SS on occasion, but I don't like him there for the bulk of the games. It would have to be a cheap extension, and I'd still look for an upgrade if I could find it.
    I would too. He has a quick bat. As long as it doesn't slow he'll be fine in GABP. I'd offer him 3yrs/$20mill

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I would too. He has a quick bat. As long as it doesn't slow he'll be fine in GABP. I'd offer him 3yrs/$20mill
    Not sure the Reds would offer Iglesias three years. Not sure he’d be that hot an item in the open market.

He’ll be thirty in January. He had a hot start but, as others have said, his offensive numbers are gradually leveling off.

I’d offer him two years, maybe $15 million. The FA market is tough these days, it might be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Not sure the Reds would offer Iglesias three years. Not sure he’d be that hot an item in the open market.

He’ll be thirty in January. He had a hot start but, as others have said, his offensive numbers are gradually leveling off.

I’d offer him two years, maybe $15 million. The FA market is tough these days, it might be enough.
    As of the middle of June this is my thinking. Of course things can change. I am interested in keeping him. My guess is that it'll take 3 yrs to keep him. If we end up eating $7mill that third yr, whatever. Compared to what we're eating this yr, that's nothing

The Reds are currently 10th in MLB in defensive efficiency ratio after being 24th last year. Obviously Iglesias at SS is a big reason for that improvement, and I think it's reason enough to keep him around another 2 or 3 years. Any offense you get is a bonus.

I would not extend him. I would hope the Reds would have higher expectations. Jose is 22nd in SS fwar. He basically is a starter for a bad team.

2yr/15M just say no.

I would do 3/15 for Iglesias with a buyout on the third year if he craters before then.

12. Likes:

Chip R (06-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I would not extend him. I would hope the Reds would have higher expectations. Jose is 22nd in SS fwar. He basically is a starter for a bad team.

2yr/15M just say no.
    I would use that stat to lowball him in negotiations but I'd keep him due to the fact that the organization is not flush with shortstops. We've got Peraza and AlfRod and that's all I see from AA on up. That's awfully thin

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (06-17-2019)

There's still a reason why he took an MLC to begin with. I wouldn't go more than maybe 3 mil per, let someone else pay for a glove in the twilight if its going to be almost 7 mil.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post

no, i have not changed my mind. as i said from the jump, there was no way iglesias was going to continue the offensive pace he put up early. but he is an elite defender who is still in his prime at the age of 29. he's got another 2 years (at least) left of his prime years.

also, i advocated offering him a 2-year, $8 million deal ($4MM per). i would hope the reds would do that in a heartbeat if iglesias was interested. would you not agree that is a pretty minor investment for a major league team, especially when talking about locking up a starting shortstop?

furthermore, i might feel different about the situation if the reds had any legit shortstop prospects in the minor leagues. but they don't.

and just because the reds found a hell of a bargain in iglesias ($2.5MM) early this spring, doesn't mean that would happen again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    no, i have not changed my mind. as i said from the jump, there was no way iglesias was going to continue the offensive pace he put up early. but he is an elite defender who is still in his prime at the age of 29. he's got another 2 years (at least) left of his prime years.

also, i advocated offering him a 2-year, $8 million deal ($4MM per). i would hope the reds would do that in a heartbeat if iglesias was interested. would you not agree that is a pretty minor investment for a major league team, especially when talking about locking up a starting shortstop?

furthermore, i might feel different about the situation if the reds had any legit shortstop prospects in the minor leagues. but they don't.

and just because the reds found a hell of a bargain in iglesias ($2.5MM) early this spring, doesn't mean that would happen again next year.
    I agree with your thinking and support a lowball initial offer. If they can get him that cheap, great. I think it'll take a little more than that. The Pirates need him worse than we do. I think in order to keep him from the FA market they'll have to offer him a decent 3 yr deal

I agree with your thinking and support a lowball initial offer. If they can get him that cheap, great. I think it'll take a little more than that. The Pirates need him worse than we do. I think in order to keep him from the FA market they'll have to offer him a decent 3 yr deal
    perhaps, but the reds can do something the pirates cannot: offer him an extension right now and give him the security he might be looking for. after what he went through during last offseason, having $8MM guaranteed might be quite attractive to him. like i said earlier in the thread, it might take more like 2 years/$10MM ($5MM per year) but i wouldn't go much higher than that. if he wants to turn down $10 million guaranteed after having to sign as a minor league invite this spring, hey, that's on him. i doubt he would turn it down though.

19. Likes:

onehand (06-17-2019),Sea Ray (06-17-2019)

Sign him if you can without hampering your ability to sign a starting pitcher. His defense is crucial even if Peraza outhits him, which seems unlikely. And as others said they are thin at SS.

A middle infield of Jose, Derek and Jose sounds stable for 2020. Note: alternatively signing Scooter probably would hamper their ability to sign a starting pitcher.

That's too much. I'm thinking more like 2 years, $9 Million guaranteed. $4 Million per year and an option for a third with a $1 Million buy-out. I don't like leaving the position completely exposed, but I want him cheap enough that he can be easily pushed aside or dealt away if an upgrade comes along.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?