Turn Off Ads?

Thread: An Interview With Joey Votto

An Interview With Joey Votto

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/joey-v...lt-2019-season

Votto didn’t mince words about his frustration with 2019 on Wednesday, voicing his disappointment about a sixth consecutive losing season for the only club that he’s ever played for since he made his debut in ‘07.

“We absolutely have to be a better team for the city, for the fan base. We can't keep talking about next year, next year, next year,” Votto said before the game. “It's unacceptable.”

Votto saved his most pointed comments for himself, however, and assumed blame for his own shortcomings. He vowed to continue battling for improvement and hasn’t reached the point of considering walking away into retirement.

“This year is an awful year for me,” Votto said before Wednesday's game against the Brewers. “I have lots of moments where I think about making bold claims and bold decisions. I like a challenge. I'm always -- I always believe in myself. Personally, my performance this year, I really feel like it's just not good enough. I didn't help the team enough this year. There were long stretches where I was a liability in important parts of the season. ... for sure, the worst year of my career.”

Votto also doesn’t want to do what many championship-starved players in all sports have done for generations by moving to a different team ready-made to contend for a World Series title. He has a full no-trade clause in the 10-year extension he signed before the 2012 season.

“Winning a World Series really isn’t as much of a priority for me in another uniform,” Votto said. “I don’t think it would be as satisfying. It wouldn’t be mine, if that makes sense, joining a club that is on the precipice of winning a World Series. It just wouldn’t feel like I was very much really a part of it. These six straight years, it’s almost like it’ll make winning a World Series in this uniform, in this city, that much more satisfying.

"I was driving to work today and drove through The Banks [downtown neighborhood] and I thought about winning a World Series. I thought about getting on the mic and telling everybody, ‘Drinks are on me. Everybody meet me at so-and-so.’ I don’t know. It’s the sort of thing that you can tell a story with.”

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (09-26-2019),DocRed (09-26-2019),Fil3232 (09-26-2019),goreds2 (09-27-2019),NebraskaRed (09-26-2019),Number_Fourteen (09-26-2019),RED VAN HOT (09-26-2019),RedsBaron (09-26-2019),Revering4Blue (09-26-2019),texasdave (09-26-2019),wlf WV (09-26-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: An Interview With Joey Votto

Fortunately for Votto, I don't see too many teams on the cusp of winning a world series wanting a 36 year old 1Bman owed 100M$. So it's win in Cincy or bust.

This is kind of stuff that makes me love Joey Votto.

His age may be catching up to him, but he's never phoning it in. He's just a fun guy to root for. I'm really hoping he can have some sort of renaissance over the next year or two, even though his days as an MVP candidate are likely behind him.

I'm never gonna write him off.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

6. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-26-2019),CaiGuy (09-26-2019),cumberlandreds (09-26-2019),dubc47834 (09-26-2019),Fil3232 (09-26-2019),goreds2 (09-27-2019),Griffey012 (09-26-2019),Larkin Fan (09-27-2019),membengal (09-26-2019),NebraskaRed (09-26-2019),nmculbreth (09-29-2019),Number_Fourteen (09-26-2019),oneupper (09-26-2019),Powder River (09-28-2019),Rantly (09-26-2019),RED VAN HOT (09-26-2019),RedEye (09-26-2019),RedsBaron (09-26-2019),Revering4Blue (09-26-2019),Ron Madden (09-26-2019),smixsell (09-27-2019),Spider Tre (09-27-2019),wlf WV (09-26-2019)

Win this man a ring.

Cue "well if Votto gave all his money back all the Reds problems would be solved"
    Last edited by KronoRed; 09-26-2019 at 03:11 AM.
    Go Gators!

8. Likes:

Griffey012 (09-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Fortunately for Votto, I don't see too many teams on the cusp of winning a world series wanting a 36 year old 1Bman owed 100M$. So it's win in Cincy or bust.
    Envious position.

Votto is pretty candid with his frustrations. He takes a subtle shot at management with saying We can't keep talking about next year, next year, next year,” He knows full well he was sold a bill of goods when he signed that long term contract with the Reds. He has be extremely frustrated and it shows. He knows his playing days are quickly coming to an end too. It has to be really bad for a player of Votto's caliber to know there is very good chance he will never play in a World Series.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

11. Likes:

goreds2 (09-27-2019),wlf WV (09-26-2019)

Joey says he's not retiring, but I think it's time (past time?) for the Reds to be setting up a young bopper as heir-apparent. I could see Votto hanging it up this time next year if he produces a similar season.

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-26-2019),Sea Ray (09-28-2019),smixsell (09-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Joey says he's not retiring, but I think it's time (past time?) for the Reds to be setting up a young bopper as heir-apparent. I could see Votto hanging it up this time next year if he produces a similar season.
    He's not retiring and forfeiting 80 million dollars.

15. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (09-27-2019),malcontent (09-27-2019),UKFlounder (09-26-2019),WrongVerb (09-26-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    You're most likely right, but Votto's a different breed. I can see him retiring before the deal's complete if he feels he won't regain an appreciable amount of his former self.

17. Likes:

goldglover9 (09-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    If it ever comes to that point, he and the Reds could just work out an agreement for him to keep the money. He's already earned it. Hell, they could just release him with the understanding he's going to retire afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    You're most likely right, but Votto's a different breed. I can see him retiring before the deal's complete if he feels he won't regain an appreciable amount of his former self.
    I could easily see him retiring early and taking "a buyout" from the team on his remaining salary, terms kept private. He knows he can't stink it up for 4 yrs and hurt his legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I could easily see him retiring early and taking "a buyout" from the team on his remaining salary, terms kept private. He knows he can't stink it up for 4 yrs and hurt his legacy.
    I think we attribute this on to these guys, but IMO, this is their job and they are in it to make as much as they can (and they should be). I can't see him walking away without getting the entire $107 Million he's still owed from 2020 on at this point. If the Reds want to pay him that to go away, sure, but I can't see him voluntary taking less to let the reds out of the deal.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think we attribute this on to these guys, but IMO, this is their job and they are in it to make as much as they can (and they should be). I can't see him walking away without getting the entire $107 Million he's still owed from 2020 on at this point. If the Reds want to pay him that to go away, sure, but I can't see him voluntary taking less to let the reds out of the deal.
    I agree. That's why the Reds will allow him to save face by "taking care of him"...but I do not see him taking up a roster spot for the entirety of his contract

Looking forward to a bounceback year from Votto next season and a real playoff run. Ownership and G.M.'s must cooperate, of course.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Looking forward to a bounceback year from Votto next season and a real playoff run. Ownership and G.M.'s must cooperate, of course.
    Unless he's been hiding some sort of injury that's been causing all of this, I see no reason to believe in a bounceback year. I foresee a lot more "what to do with Joey Votto" threads next year and for the pressure on him to really build. In looking at BR's comps, I don't see much of anyone that bounced back at Votto's age. A guy who was much better than Joey in his prime, Albert Pujols, peaked at a 1.3 WAR in his post age 35 yrs. Votto had a 1.7 WAR this year.

The Reds are looking at a hard choice in the next four years: Eat a lot of salary and "move him" or hurt the team on the field

24. Likes:

redsfanmia (09-29-2019)

Turn Off Ads?