Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

Still not interested, I hope they can find a legit hitter for the position in the offseason

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Still not interested, I hope they can find a legit hitter for the position in the offseason
    Sorry, Barry Larkin and Cal Ripken, Jr. have been retired for quite sometime now. What more could you want from a SS offensively? Who do you even suggest would be a better alternative at that price range?!?!?

Iglesias has been a clutch 2 strike hitter and run producer this year. I’m at a loss why anyone would argue against not signing him. Defense matters as long as your not batting at Billy Hamilton levels.

4. Likes:

JFLegal (08-19-2019),Red in Atl (08-19-2019),Sea Ray (08-20-2019)

Yes. Play him and Galvis together.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Sorry, Barry Larkin and Cal Ripken, Jr. have been retired for quite sometime now. What more could you want from a SS offensively? Who do you even suggest would be a better alternative at that price range?!?!?

Iglesias has been a clutch 2 strike hitter and run producer this year. I’m at a loss why anyone would argue against not signing him. Defense matters as long as your not batting at Billy Hamilton levels.
    A few connected thoughts:

- What we really should want is a young guy with upside. Tatis, Bogaerts, Story, Turner, Lindor, Correa, Baez, Swanson, Seager and Rosario are all 26 or younger. Even kids like Mondesi and Adames, who reside in the Iglesias district at the plate, offer the potential for more in the future. Maybe Jiggy is the real thing down on the farm. At least maybe he can be the new Didi. Whole generation of quality shortstops and the Reds need in on it.

- Iglesias turns 30 this winter, and he's at his ceiling. I don't get investing in how long he can continue to offer up consolation prize production before he craters.

- If they want a mediocre SS, Galvis is now in-house. Why spend long-term on Iglesias when they can just pick up the option on Galvis?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-19-2019),americanoutlaw1 (08-19-2019),DocRed (08-19-2019),Griffey012 (08-19-2019),Mitri (08-19-2019),Revering4Blue (08-19-2019),RiverRat13 (08-19-2019),Tom Servo (08-19-2019),TRF (08-19-2019),westofyou (08-19-2019),Wonderful Monds (08-19-2019)

If you can lowball him for 2 years, maybe, otherwise pick up Galvis' option and it's literally the same thing. Both are outstanding defenders. One gets on base more one has more HR power. Neither is a long term bet to be anything more than the back of their baseball card at this point.

Someone might overpay for Iglesias, but If he'd take $8M for 2 years plus a team option? I'd be ok with that and giving Galvis money to go play elsewhere. Not sure if the Reds can trade him at seasons end or not.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

9. Likes:

DocRed (08-19-2019)

galvis is good defensively at short.

iglesias is great defensively at short.

galvis is the better hitter, but iglesias continues to prove he's become a better hitter than his younger days.

i hope the reds keep them both.

11. Likes:

Red in Atl (08-19-2019),Stingray (08-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post

The guy is a career .688 OPS hitter who is having a decent year based mostly on a little BABIP spike, I don’t expect it to last at all. There are free agents this offseason who are much better hitters at short than Iglesias is.

I'm guessing Jose's people want to try for a 2 year deal somewhere. Reds said let's wait and see. Galvis became available so they claimed him.

Galvis feels like a modest upgrade anyway, include the fact that we'll have him in his walk year for only $5MM and it's a no-brainer.

It's been a good year from Iglesias, he's clearly a well-liked teammate and he's had some clutch moments and excellent defense.

On that note, I'm hoping the Reds start giving Galvis more starts at SS because it seems like he'll be the starter in 2020. I'd love to see them put Iglesias out on waivers, save a little money and bring up Blandino to makes some starts at 2B along with JVM.

2020 Opening Day

Senzel CF
    Votto 1B
    Suarez 3B
    Aquino RF
    Winker/Ervin LF
    Gavis 2B
    Iglesias SS
    Barnhart/Casalli C

At least play this lineup out the rest of the year and see if it works.

Castillo
    Gray
    Bauer
    Mahle
    Disco

15. Likes:

Redeyecat (08-20-2019),Stingray (08-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    2020 Opening Day

Senzel CF
    Votto 1B
    Suarez 3B
    Aquino RF
    Winker/Ervin LF
    Gavis 2B
    Iglesias SS
    Barnhart/Casalli C

At least play this lineup out the rest of the year and see if it works.
    If that’s the lineup they go with next year, they will lose as many games as they did this season. They cannot sit on their hands with it comes to offense.

17. Likes:

CaiGuy (08-19-2019),M2 (08-19-2019),Revering4Blue (08-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    On that note, I'm hoping the Reds start giving Galvis more starts at SS because it seems like he'll be the starter in 2020. I'd love to see them put Iglesias out on waivers, save a little money and bring up Blandino to makes some starts at 2B along with JVM.
    I got the feeling this was the plan and Iglesias' hot stretch is screwing it up. There's worse problems to have though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (08-22-2019),Mitri (08-19-2019),Revering4Blue (08-19-2019)

If that’s the lineup they go with next year, they will lose as many games as they did this season. They cannot sit on their hands with it comes to offense.
    They'd lose more than this year with that lineup

21. Likes:

Jim (08-20-2019),M2 (08-19-2019),Wonderful Monds (08-19-2019)

Their offense coming into this year was better on paper than that one, and we see how that worked out.

Gotta get some legit bats to play somewhere on the field...the Van Meters, Aquinos, and BOGs of the world can always stick around as backup plans.

Depth is good.

23. Likes:

HUHUH (08-22-2019),Revering4Blue (08-19-2019),Wonderful Monds (08-19-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Their offense coming into this year was better on paper than that one, and we see how that worked out.

Gotta get some legit bats to play somewhere on the field...the Van Meters, Aquinos, and BOGs of the world can always stick around as backup plans.

Depth is good.
    I’m fine with going with Aquino in right assuming he doesn’t completely fall off a cliff the rest of the year. Aside from that they need significant upgrades at 3 positions out of catcher, shortstop, second, and right. Maybe Aquino is one of those, who knows. But they have to make some big acquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    A few connected thoughts:

- What we really should want is a young guy with upside. Tatis, Bogaerts, Story, Turner, Lindor, Correa, Baez, Swanson, Seager and Rosario are all 26 or younger. Even kids like Mondesi and Adames, who reside in the Iglesias district at the plate, offer the potential for more in the future. Maybe Jiggy is the real thing down on the farm. At least maybe he can be the new Didi. Whole generation of quality shortstops and the Reds need in on it.

- Iglesias turns 30 this winter, and he's at his ceiling. I don't get investing in how long he can continue to offer up consolation prize production before he craters.

- If they want a mediocre SS, Galvis is now in-house. Why spend long-term on Iglesias when they can just pick up the option on Galvis?
    Peraza is supposed to have upside and that hasn't turned out well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?