Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    First priority for me would be to move Senzel to 2b. Galvis to SS, no to Iglesias, Peraza released. Get a CF.
    Are you the back up MI then? Peraza is actually quite good in that role.

2. Likes:

Stingray (08-22-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Are you the back up MI then? Peraza is actually quite good in that role.
    Actually I don't think peraza is any good at any role he's below the replacement level
    Crazy Reds Fan

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Actually I don't think peraza is any good at any role he's below the replacement level
    He was 2.7 last year (Fangraphs), and -0.3 this year.

You still need a back up MI.

6. Likes:

Kinsm (08-21-2019),Rolando (08-21-2019),westofyou (08-21-2019)

Not disagreeing I guess it depends on what kind of rays he gets an arbitration
    Crazy Reds Fan

Then how did he hit .288 in almost 700 PAs last season? How did he lead the Reds in hits last year? How did he have an approximately league average wRC+ and a 2.7 fWAR last year?

Peraza’s having a bad year and the Reds may let him go as an Arb 2 player. But to say he “isn’t good at any role” is an overstatement.

IMO Peraza’s going to be a productive player if used properly and given a consistent role by whatever team he’s on going forward.

9. Likes:

1thru5 (08-22-2019),goldglover9 (08-21-2019),RedlegJake (08-21-2019),Stingray (08-22-2019),westofyou (08-21-2019),wolfboy (08-22-2019)

I'm hoping we go into 2020 with J.Iglesius at SS and Galvis and 2b, with VanMeter and Peraza as the super subs. I'm hoping the Reds add 1 solid bat for C/OF (Grandal,Ozuna) and spend the rest on acquiring 2 solid BP arms and a solid #3/4 starter.

-VM can spell Votto at 1b a few times a week to keep both fresh. I just like Iglesius defense at SS, and his bat isn't terrible. What this team lacks is a true offensive threat in OF/C and acquiring 1 of those dramatically improves this offense!!!
    Last edited by schroomytunes; 08-21-2019 at 05:42 PM.

11. Likes:

Old NDN (08-21-2019),RedsRocker (08-21-2019),Stingray (08-22-2019)

I've no great problem with Peraza as backup MI, but there are other options. Van Meter, Dietrich, Blandino etc. Depends on how those guys can be configured. But I think it's a mistake to think Peraza, with his 4% walk rate and low slg, is anything more than a backup. And his ss defense is not exceptional. It might make more sense to have a really first rate defender at Louisville in case of an extended injury to Galvis and to depend on Blandino for occasional spot starts.

13. Likes:

Rolando (08-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Then how did he hit .288 in almost 700 PAs last season? How did he lead the Reds in hits last year? How did he have an approximately league average wRC+ and a 2.7 fWAR last year?

Peraza’s having a bad year and the Reds may let him go as an Arb 2 player. But to say he “isn’t good at any role” is an overstatement.

IMO Peraza’s going to be a productive player if used properly and given a consistent role by whatever team he’s on going forward.
    I should have phrased it differently he definitely has not been good this year if you could just learn how to walk a little or head for more power and be a little bit more study on defense at shortstop I think you could be good a good player
    Crazy Reds Fan

I should have phrased it differently he definitely has not been good this year if you could just learn how to walk a little or head for more power and be a little bit more study on defense at shortstop I think you could be good a good player
    Would add that I’m not confident Peraza will remain a Red. I’ve read some internet speculation he may not last as other players return. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s correct, Jose hasn’t been used much lately.

Peraza is simply getting expensive and hasn’t nailed down a position.

I blame the Reds in part. Jose’s had position changes galore and did well in 2018 when he played consistently at one spot.

But the bottom line is production and salary, and he is likely on the bubble. Still think he has a decent future, but I doubt it’s with the Reds.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-21-2019 at 07:03 PM.

16. Likes:

Rolando (08-22-2019)

Reds are not to blame for Peraza's status/production. He has a .376 SLG over 1800 PA and a less than 4% walk rate, which makes it very difficult for him to put up better than .310 or .315 OBP. So you're looking at .685 plus or minus with unexceptional defense at SS. That's solid enough for a backup, it's not something you want to pay a lot for. He'll no doubt have a major league job for a good length of time.

I wouldn't give Peraza 2nd year arb money to do that. He's at almost $3 Million this year and no matter how much he's sucked this year, he'll get close to $5 Million next year. Give the job to Blandino or sign next year's non-tender guy for cheap like Iglesias this year. If Senzel moves to 2B, they'd have VanMeter for MI back-up and they still have Farmer. The Reds need to pay 2nd year arb money to Peraza like I need a hole in my head. Use that money on the bullpen. One decent reliever is worth 10 interchangeable parts like Peraza.

I probably wouldn't non-tender, but I'd deal him for the best deal possible. If that's a lotto ticket, OK.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

19. Likes:

HammerTime (08-22-2019),HokieRed (08-22-2019),Mitri (08-21-2019),Rece Tyler (08-21-2019),Revering4Blue (08-22-2019)

David Bell sounds high on keeping the Galvis/Iglesias starting middle infield together: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb...er-padres.html

“They’re fun to watch defensively. I think they’re making each other better,” Bell said. “Offensively as well, they’re driving each other. They’re similar players in a way, but they’re both just good players that love to play the game. Hopefully they’re making our team better for a long time.”

(that's just one of several statements Bell made on the topic. There's also a quote from our ace Castillo in there talking about how much he loves having these two behind him on D)
    Last edited by Rece Tyler; 08-21-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Not disagreeing I guess it depends on what kind of rays he gets an arbitration
    I'd take Snell and Pham.

Seriously, I thought Peraza had turned a corner last year, but apparently not. He might be worth keeping on the roster, but not at much above minimum. If he goes elsewhere and produces, good for him.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

22. Likes:

mth123 (08-22-2019),Revering4Blue (08-22-2019),Rolando (08-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    The problem is the Reds are going to have to improve the offense somewhere on the field.

If that is your middle infield, that leaves C, RF, and maybe LF to find bats.
    just b/c they dont hit 65 hr a year doesnt mean theyre not good bats. i love galvis's bat and iglesius is no slouch. even if he reverts to his career avg, he'd be a solid SS and #2 or 8 hitter. and the chemistry between those 2 in the field.. there are no analytics for that.

24. Likes:

Rece Tyler (08-22-2019),Stingray (08-22-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    The problem is the Reds are going to have to improve the offense somewhere on the field.

If that is your middle infield, that leaves C, RF, and maybe LF to find bats.
    This year, 2B OPS for this team has been lower than any other position excluding pitcher, at .704. Galvis would most certainly improve on that. Question being: is there another 2B who could improve that more? Likely not, but Glavis at SS and VanMeter at 2B might be a nice offensive upgrade for both positions.

I think Aquino is your answer in RF

Turn Off Ads?