Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

Re: Offer Jose Iglesias a team-friendly 2-3-year contract?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    That's too much. I'm thinking more like 2 years, $9 Million guaranteed. $4 Million per year and an option for a third with a $1 Million buy-out. I don't like leaving the position completely exposed, but I want him cheap enough that he can be easily pushed aside or dealt away if an upgrade comes along.
    Doubt Jose would take that. But no harm in asking.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Doubt Jose would take that. But no harm in asking.
    Well, he took a non-guaranteed minor league deal for $2 Million this year. A $9 Million guarantee is a big increase.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

That's too much. I'm thinking more like 2 years, $9 Million guaranteed. $4 Million per year and an option for a third with a $1 Million buy-out. I don't like leaving the position completely exposed, but I want him cheap enough that he can be easily pushed aside or dealt away if an upgrade comes along.
    I like your thinking. I want you with me when I go shopping for my next car...

Well, he took a non-guaranteed minor league deal for $2 Million this year. A $9 Million guarantee is a big increase.
    It’s a new season, different facts now for Jose.

He’s hit better this year and received raves for his play with the Reds. Jose’s not going to jump at a low-ball guaranteed offer when he can test the market.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-17-2019 at 09:26 PM.

It’s a new season, different facts now for Jose.

He’s hit better this year and received raves for his play with the Reds. Jose’s not going to jump at a low-ball guaranteed offer when he can test the market.
    League and park factors matter. He's the same player he's always been.

7. Likes:

Kinsm (06-18-2019),Slyder (06-18-2019)

I sure like the looks of this team more with Jose Ig at SS.

See that throw by Peraza to 1B in the 7th?

9. Likes:

malcontent (06-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    Yes, agree. But somebody will offer him more than $4 million a year IMO. With a .745 OPS and his super defense, Jose’s worth more than that.

Yes, agree. But somebody will offer him more than $4 million a year IMO. With a .745 OPS and his super defense, he’s worth more than that.
    He won't end with .745 IMO. I love his defense and hate Peraza's, but I doubt his bat stays as good as it's been. Not sure I'm seeing the market. Contenders have somebody already and the rest are tanking. Who are the Reds competing with?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

He won't end with .745 IMO. I love his defense and hate Peraza's, but I doubt his bat stays as good as it's been. Not sure I'm seeing the market. Contenders have somebody already and the rest are tanking. Who are the Reds competing with?
    I think there will be a market even though I too think the bat will regress. But the shortstop free agent market is practically non-existent and some teams will be looking to upgrade.

I don't know what the number looks like but I don't think $4 million annually gets him to throw aside his shot at free agency again.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    And that’s a solid everyday, league average overall, defense first SS. Considering he’s only 29, a three year deal around $5-7M a year would be a good deal for any team.

Btw, 29 is the age at which your boy Ozzie Smith turned the corner with the bat.
    Last edited by 757690; 06-17-2019 at 10:59 PM.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

malcontent (06-18-2019),marcshoe (06-17-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    And that’s a solid everyday, league average overall, defense first SS. Considering he’s only 29, a three year deal around $5-7M a year would be a good deal for any team.

Btw, 29 is the age at which your boy Ozzie Smith turned the corner with the bat.
    Yeah, honestly, I don't need J.Iggy to tear the cover off the ball in order for him the be worth the money. His defense makes the team better, and even when he regresses, he won't be Billy H. at the plate. I like Peraza, but I don't think you can count on him. If the team's going to contend the next couple of years, Iglesias is the type of player you need to be able to plug in to a weak spot.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

16. Likes:

757690 (06-17-2019)

No way I'd pay him 7 mill per.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    No way I'd pay him 7 mill per.
    I mean, do you have $7M to pay him
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

For Iglesias, it’s probably going to depend on how he finishes the season offensively.

If he slides back below .700 OPS, he’ll probably wind up with another MILB or one-year contract.

If he maintains his OPS around .750 as current, he’ll probably do much better. In that case, somebody will take the gamble that his offensive improvement will last for awhile.

If in between, depends on how the market shakes out, whether he gets the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-18-2019 at 08:37 AM.

If my options are paying Iglesias 5-7 million or going with Peraza as the everyday SS then I'm going to pay Iglesias. Didi is the only upgrade in the FA market, and I'd love to have him if the money wasn't ridiculous.

21. Likes:

Chip R (06-18-2019)

Turn Off Ads?