Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds 2019-2020 International signing period - back in business

Re: Reds 2019-2020 International signing period - back in business

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I still can't find anything about Braylin Minier on the internet, but congrats to him on his $1.8 mill. Maybe the Reds found a gem in the most remote part of the DR, who knows.
    It seems like he is 16 years old based on Ben Badler's instagram story which featured Minier signing.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-02-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-to-sig...onal-prospects

As for Minier, he is a large-framed shortstop with tons of physical projection and solid actions on offense and defense. At the plate, he has an easy and slight upstroke swing that generates bat speed. He makes lots of contact and the ball jumps off the bat. On defense, he has soft hands with good range and a strong arm. He makes plays look easy.

Triana, who played for Cuba’s 18U National team, will likely skip play in the Dominican Summer League and begin his professional career next season in the Minors.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-02-2019)

Triana, who played for Cuba’s 18U National team, will likely skip play in the Dominican Summer League and begin his professional career next season in the Minors.
    So, are the Reds just putting him in some kind of extended ST while acclimating him to life in the U.S.?

That's probably what I'd do. I believe Triana is 19 now, so the AZL Reds or maybe Greeneville?

Minier being only 16, man. Could be a serious find if he's really only 16. I imagine the Reds will want to closely monitor these guys and it seems like keeping both out of the DSL and into the states seems prudent.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    So, are the Reds just putting him in some kind of extended ST while acclimating him to life in the U.S.?

That's probably what I'd do. I believe Triana is 19 now, so the AZL Reds or maybe Greeneville?

Minier being only 16, man. Could be a serious find if he's really only 16. I imagine the Reds will want to closely monitor these guys and it seems like keeping both out of the DSL and into the states seems prudent.
    If anything it just feels good to be spending big money on 16 year olds like the rest of the MLB does.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

8. Likes:

RiverRat13 (07-02-2019),Tom Servo (07-02-2019),TRF (07-02-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    If anything it just feels good to be spending big money on 16 year olds like the rest of the MLB does.
    I want my Acuna!
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

10. Likes:

Griffey012 (07-02-2019)

I haven't seen their names anywhere else yet but Doug has the Reds signing "Yerlin Confidan, an outfielder from the Dominican Republic. Wencer Inirio, a third baseman from the Dominican Republic. Cesar Martinez, a shortstop from the Dominican Republic."

Found this from Ben Badler in November 2017: "One of the players who jumped out last week in the Dominican Republic: Yerlin Confidan, a lefthanded outfielder and 2019 international prospect." https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbft2JCHz7O/
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I want my Acuna!
    Acuna was actually a relatively cheap sign, 400K or something I think, but I definitely agree with the premise of your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I haven't seen their names anywhere else yet but Doug has the Reds signing "Yerlin Confidan, an outfielder from the Dominican Republic. Wencer Inirio, a third baseman from the Dominican Republic. Cesar Martinez, a shortstop from the Dominican Republic."

Found this from Ben Badler in November 2017: "One of the players who jumped out last week in the Dominican Republic: Yerlin Confidan, a lefthanded outfielder and 2019 international prospect." https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbft2JCHz7O/
    Ah I see now the Reds Twitter account gave them out, along with RHP Dominican pitcher Brayan Almonte.

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1146112113129197568

Baseball America also has the Reds signing Juan Garcia, a catcher out of Colombia.

Here is the signed list from Baseball America.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-tracker/#Reds

Cincinnati Reds

Deivi Alcantara, of, Dominican Republic
    Brailin Minier, ss, Dominican Republic - $1.8 million
    Michel Triana, inf, Cuba
    Adrian Castro, ss, Dominican Republic (video)
    Wencel Inirio, 3b, Dominican Republic
    Juan Garcia, c, Colombia

Reds just tweeted out a picture with 8 guys from the DR. (one of whom didn't get the uniform memo)

Name:  D-gLYO3UcAEaCT4.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  108.6 KB
    Last edited by JaxRed; 07-02-2019 at 06:28 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

16. Likes:

cumberlandreds (07-08-2019),Gallen5862 (07-02-2019),Griffey012 (07-02-2019),RED VAN HOT (07-03-2019)

SS Minier, INF Triana highlight Reds' int'l haul

The Reds and shortstop Braylin Minier have agreed to a deal worth $1.8 million. The Reds have also signed Cuban first/third baseman Michel Triana, 19, as well as prospects from Colombia, Curacao and Venezuela. According to reports, Triana received a $1.3 million bonus. Overall, the Reds signed nine players and expect to sign several more.

“He's quick-twitch, athletic shortstop that we think has a real good chance at sticking at the position,” Reds director of international scouting Trey Hendricks said of Minier. “He's got really good hands, footwork. We think he's certainly going to have enough arm to play the position. We really liked his bat from the left side. he's got really good barrel whip, he has surprising pop for his size and we think as he physically matures, there's going to be more power in there. We think he's going to hit and hit for power in the future.”

Triana was a shortstop in Cuba despite being 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds. At the moment, Cincinnati views him as a corner infielder, but he’s athletic enough to potentially move to other spots.

“I first saw Michel playing for the Cuban national team in Canada a couple of years ago, he was at the 18-and-under World Championships, then he surfaced in the Dominican Republic last winter,” Hendricks said. “We did a lot of work on him. We really like his bat. We think he's going to hit for power but be more than just a power hitter. There's limited swing-and-miss with him. He's really got good bat-to-ball, pitch recognition and plate discipline. He controls the zone very well for a big guy, he handles left-handed pitchers well. We think he's going to be a complete hitter.

Triana has the potential to move through the system quickly if he continues to develop at the expected pace.

“We don't know where he ends up defensively,” Hendricks said. “He's played some third base and some first base in the past. We're going to give him every opportunity to play third, but if he ends up at first, we think he's going to have the bat for that position as well.

18. Likes:

BillDoran (07-03-2019),Edd Roush (07-03-2019),Griffey012 (07-02-2019),ochoa30 (07-02-2019),RED VAN HOT (07-03-2019),Rolando (07-03-2019)

So just curious, how do the Reds (or any team) sign players from Cuba or Venezuala?

Do they need to have defected?
    Not to turn this political, but I thought the deal between MLB and Cuba had been scuttled.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    So just curious, how do the Reds (or any team) sign players from Cuba or Venezuala?

Do they need to have defected?
    Not to turn this political, but I thought the deal between MLB and Cuba had been scuttled.
    I believe the system has not changed. Cuban players still need to defect, which typically involves a degree of human trafficking, while Venezuelan players are able to leave at their own discretion as usual.

22. Likes:

Gallen5862 (07-06-2019)

SO, I usually don't know anything about these international signings, but for some reason, the name Andruw Salcedo sounds familiar. I have no idea why. Is there any kind of buzz about him that I may have heard once upon a time?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?