Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Taylor Trammell

Re: Taylor Trammell

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I remember when we went through this when Winker started off even slower in AA, he had a sub .700 OPS this time in 2015. I never get why people let themselves get so down on a good prospect because of 100 PAs or whatever.
    Well Jesse is a platoon player now, so maybe not the best example.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Lol, that’s an example of losing one’s mind? Nah

I am not writing him off in the slightest, he can regain value.

People were expecting him to be a consensus top 10-15 prospect at the halfway point this season. You can’t tell me with a straight face that’s going to happen now.
    *puts on straight face*

I think if an industry source believed that Trammell was a consensus top 10-15 prospect in the game before the season, he most likely holds him in the same regard now. If that source believed he was in a teir below that group, he probably feels the same right now.

Now, if you're saying you were expecting him to increase his value, then no, he hasn't done that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    *puts on straight face*

I think if an industry source believed that Trammell was a consensus top 10-15 prospect in the game before the season, he most likely holds him in the same regard now. If that source believed he was in a teir below that group, he probably feels the same right now.

Now, if you're saying you were expecting him to increase his value, then no, he hasn't done that either.
    We shall see where he falls pretty soon here in the midseason lists.

If he’s in the top 25 I’ll be fairly shocked.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Tramm update:

0-4 tonight.

He scored a run, but not sure how he got on as he didn’t walk. Must be a FC or HBP.

Hopefully he gets a couple hits in his next couple of at bats so he doesn’t dip below .700 OPS.

We shall see where he falls pretty soon here in the midseason lists.

If he’s in the top 25 I’ll be fairly shocked.
    "Top 25" is not really important. They're in tiers, but one guy ranked 30th can be just as valuable as a guy ranked 50th. Look at his future value (fv). If that changes, I'll be shocked.

Tramm update:

0-4 tonight.

He scored a run, but not sure how he got on as he didn’t walk. Must be a FC or HBP.

Hopefully he gets a couple hits in his next couple of at bats so he doesn’t dip below .700 OPS.
    Down to 238. Not sure the league is an excuse anymore as their are 5 or 6 guys in his lineup with better Ops. If trends continue Alfredo Rodriguez will catch him

To quote Assembly Hall:

And Jonathan India says hello.
    I have some doubts about India (still do, and he's about a year older than Trammell!) but I never freaked out or said he’s lost all value or anything. And I distanced myself from whoever that guy was who called him a bust while you and the immortal Alabama seem on the same page here in practically throwing in the towel on Trammell.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; 06-05-2019 at 01:26 AM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I guess that a prospect is not legitimate unless he goes out and OPS’s 1.000 for four straight seasons in the minors.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I have some doubts about India (still do, and he's about a year older than Trammell!) but I never freaked out or said he’s lost all value or anything. And I distanced myself from whoever that guy was who called him a bust while you and the immortal Alabama seem on the same page here in practically throwing in the towel on Trammell.
    None of this is true about my stance on Tram

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I guess that a prospect is not legitimate unless he goes out and OPS’s 1.000 for four straight seasons in the minors.

Litetally nobody is saying anything remotely like this.

The concern about Trammell is that maybe he was over-rated in the first place. His performance in the low minors was fueled largely by BABIP numbers of .396, .345 and .358. This year it's still a strong .317, but still quite a drop. The lower BABIP is resulting in lower batting average and lower slugging percentage numbers. His BA is down .034 points from last year and his slugging is down .063 points. His walk rate is improved and his K Rate is about the same and so is his Line Drive rate. I do think he'll add some power as he ages, but if the BABIP stays in this more realistic range, it's possible that he just isn't the player he seemed to be based off of his low minors numbers.

One thing I wonder about is whether he's experimenting with launch angle in an attempt to add more power. His Ground ball percentage has dropped and his fly ball rate has increased. His IFFB rate is up significantly. Seems like he's trying to hit the ball in the air more and is popping up a lot. That could just be temporary while he adjusts and when the adjustment is complete, an increase in power should more than offset the lower BABIP level that could easily be more what we should expect. .

I didn't drop Trammell in my rankings, but India jumped ahead of him based on his performance to date with more power and a higher BA. I love Trammell's speed, but assuming other factors aren't out of line (like K rate which is roughly the same for the two of them) I'll take the guy with twice as many extra base hits every time.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-05-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I also think there is less wiggle room as a LF. It’s pretty clear Tramm is not a CF, he NEEDS to hit for power to be an elite LF prospect.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Carl Crawford (Rays version) was always the top comp for me. Jason’s Heyward maybe next, but more speed and less arm. Put me down in the not concerned/still a believer camp for Trammell.
    I guess I never realized Trammell was supposed to be that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    One thing I wonder about is whether he's experimenting with launch angle in an attempt to add more power. His Ground ball percentage has dropped and his fly ball rate has increased. His IFFB rate is up significantly. Seems like he's trying to hit the ball in the air more and is popping up a lot. That could just be temporary while he adjusts and when the adjustment is complete, an increase in power should more than offset the lower BABIP level that could easily be more what we should expect. .
    FWIW, saw a guy on Twitter who offers his insights on minor league talent say exactly this, that Trammell is working out the kinks of a new swing.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

16. Likes:

mth123 (06-05-2019)

FWIW, saw a guy on Twitter who offers his insights on minor league talent say exactly this, that Trammell is working out the kinks of a new swing.
    That would explain the slump and his underlying statistics for this season.

Turn Off Ads?