Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aristides Aquino

Re: Aristides Aquino

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    He's an interesting prospect, but he's put up big numbers over 64 PA and and a .405 BABIP. Let's give it another month before we start shuffling the roster for the new hot bat.

Throwing Aquino in RF right now is what a bad team would do. Despite Puig and Schebler's underwhelming seasons, promoting Aquino would be the act of a desperate organization. There's no reason to believe what he's doing right now is sustainable. Making moves to make moves and jumping at every hot prospect ain't the road to success.
    Umm this is a bad team. This is a desperate organization.
    They traded two top 12 prospects for 3 major leaguers with one year of control left each.....and are 5 games under 500 on May 20.
    Just exactly how do you view the Reds?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Let him rake in AAA and use him as a trade piece to a team desperate for young talent. Baltimore and SF both have bullpen pieces who could help the Reds and he'd be a good guy to roll the dice on for either team. The Marlins could use him too, but I'm not sure they have anybody who could help the Reds.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Spanky (05-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Let him rake in AAA and use him as a trade piece to a team desperate for young talent. Baltimore and SF both have bullpen pieces who could help the Reds and he'd be a good guy to roll the dice on for either team. The Marlins could use him too, but I'm not sure they have anybody who could help the Reds.
    yea, I like this plan. they did DFA him in the Off-season so let's not get ahead of ourselves. If the Reds can package him with some other guys at the deadline (depending where they are in the standings at that point) then that would be fine with me. If not wait and see what he does for the full season in AAA and decide what to do with him in the Off-season.
    The television crews left and about 10 reporters remained in the room. That's when Price took his turn doing the talking.
    What followed was a five-minute, 34-second expletive-filled tirade. The final tally was 77 uses of the "F" word or a variant and 11 uses of a vulgar term for feces (two bovine, one equine).

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Umm this is a bad team. This is a desperate organization.
    They traded two top 12 prospects for 3 major leaguers with one year of control left each.....and are 5 games under 500 on May 20.
    Just exactly how do you view the Reds?
    The Reds are mediocre, but Aristides Aquino isn't changing anything.

This a guy that put .240/.306/.448 in AA last year. He struck out more than 25 percent of the time (and continues to do so). Now, 64 PA later, you're ready to plant him in RF.

More, his success is a mirage. He's got a .405 BABIP.

Maybe Aquino turned a corner - I sure hope he has - but, like others have said in this thread, let's be sure he has before throwing him into the fire.

7. Likes:

Kinsm (05-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    OMG this nonsense again? We have the best bullpen in the NL !! And we have guys like Reed in AAA.

We need offense. I agree we need to see whether he's legit, but he has a pedigree and he plays RF and has a super strong arm like Puig. Chances are Puig is gone next year at the latest. It would be good to know what we have with Aquino starting 1 July (if he keeps hitting)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

9. Likes:

Alabama (05-20-2019),Hillsdale87 (05-20-2019),HokieRed (05-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    OMG this nonsense again? We have the best bullpen in the NL !! And we have guys like Reed in AAA.

We need offense. I agree we need to see whether he's legit, but he has a pedigree and he plays RF and has a super strong arm like Puig. Chances are Puig is gone next year at the latest. It would be good to know what we have with Aquino starting 1 July (if he keeps hitting)

Agree. I'd be very reluctant to move any of Aquino, Van Meter, O'Grady, or Longhi. IMO, the major league team is at least one and probably two years away from serious contention, and I think we are going to have to face the issues. There has not been a serious "rebuild" of the offense. Consider what you can only call the nearly across the board misevaluation of the offense going into this year: Kemp, Schebler, Peraza, Puig, Barnhart, and, hurts to say it, Votto. We are going to need new offensive parts to go with the new core of 2021: Senzel, Trammell, India, Suarez, Winker, and T. Stephenson. I fear we have already traded another name who would have fit into that core nicely--Shed Long--for the privilege of overpaying for a number 5 starter. If any one of the four AAA guys I started with here can supplement that 2021 core with even decentish offensive numbers, then we will have gained a lot of the financial flexibility needed to acquire the other parts we are going to need (surely at least one #2 starting pitcher).

11. Likes:

Alabama (05-20-2019)

This a guy that put .240/.306/.448 in AA last year. He struck out more than 25 percent of the time (and continues to do so). Now, 64 PA later, you're ready to plant him in RF.

Maybe Aquino turned a corner - I sure hope he has - but, like others have said in this thread, let's be sure he has before throwing him into the fire.
    I’m not trying to champion this guy as a future fixture or anything. But ask yourself this, as well as he is currently swinging the bat: would he do better than 200 250 350 600 ops in RF for the big club?
    If you think he would, why not drop Duke off the 40 man and add him to the roster? This is a year in which the FO mortgages small parts of their further for one year win now guys. Plus AA options mean nothing as they obviously aren’t worried about him.
    Now I would personally call up OGrady or Van Meter to play the of over AA, but my point is: get a warm body who won’t kill the lineup every single day in right field. Puig isn’t even putting together competitive abs.

This is like "replace Cozart with Negron" levels of silliness.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

14. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (05-21-2019),BillDoran (05-20-2019),dfs (06-08-2019),Griffey012 (05-20-2019),HammerTime (05-20-2019),OGB (05-22-2019),RiverRat13 (05-21-2019),WrongVerb (05-20-2019)

He has a .369 ISOP, so not a complete mirage. Normalize his BABIP, and I’m guessing his numbers still look impressive.

Clearly no need to rush him, give him time, but I would keep a eye on him and be ready to promote him (as backup) if he keep impressing.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I'd hope Longhi, O'Grady, Van Meter, and Aquino all play nearly the full season at Louisville. There is no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I'd hope Longhi, O'Grady, Van Meter, and Aquino all play nearly the full season at Louisville. There is no rush.
    It's good to see each of them perform well in Louisville. That provides some intriguing back up options if primary options fail.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    Edwin Encarnacion was unclaimed once too.
    I don’t know what is hard to understand about letting someone experience success for awhile. I never said he will never be any good. My whole point is literally 5 months ago he could of been had for nothing. He has played less than two months of a season and now he has gone from being virtually worthless to a starter on an MLB team. That isn’t impossible but again let him prove himself. In early to mid July or so if he is doing this give him a shot.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

19. Likes:

Griffey012 (05-20-2019),OGB (05-22-2019),RiverRat13 (05-21-2019),Tom Servo (05-20-2019),WrongVerb (05-20-2019)

Saw Shed Long play in Boston a week ago. While I agree we didn't get much in return (never was a fan of Puig), in my humble opinion Shed Long is never going to me more than a utility piece in the major leagues. Doesn't have a tool that stands out to separate himself from the pack.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

21. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (05-21-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    This is like "replace Cozart with Negron" levels of silliness.
    eh. sorta.

Plan A is probably hope Puig comes around, signs long term, and is a Red for the next 7 years.

Aquino can certainly be a part of a plan B, that stated, there is zero reason to rush him to the 40 man, much less the 25 man roster.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    eh. sorta.

Plan A is probably hope Puig comes around, signs long term, and is a Red for the next 7 years.

Aquino can certainly be a part of a plan B, that stated, there is zero reason to rush him to the 40 man, much less the 25 man roster.
    I don't like your Plan A or Plan B.

24. Likes:

HammerTime (05-21-2019),RED VAN HOT (05-21-2019)

Turn Off Ads?