Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aristides Aquino

Re: Aristides Aquino

I think it's entirely possible that Aquino is a mirage, but I'd call him up and give him a long look anyway. Not much to lose. He's still young enough. He's a better choice to give a long look than Ervin or the other older guys at AAA. He's a better defender than Ervin as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

757690 (06-15-2019),Benihana (06-24-2019),DocRed (06-24-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

He’s at the age when many hitters “turn the corner.” He was a top prospect who raked until he hit AA, then started raking again. The simplest explanation is that AA was the anomaly. He also has an ISOP well over .300. That is not a mirage.

He’s worth a shot more than Van Meter was.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

5. Likes:

DocRed (06-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He also has an ISOP well over .300. That is not a mirage.
    So does Brian O'Grady.

I'd be fine with giving AA a shot off the bench with the Reds, I think he might have some more upside than Ervin. But I think people have to temper expectations given the offensive explosion in the International League. This light hitting shortstop named Jake Cronenworth for the Rays hit .262/.334/.344 in AA. This year in AAA for Durham he's got a 1.000 OPS.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So does Brian O'Grady.

I'd be fine with giving AA a shot off the bench with the Reds, I think he might have some more upside than Ervin. But I think people have to temper expectations given the offensive explosion in the International League. This light hitting shortstop named Jake Cronenworth for the Rays hit .262/.334/.344 in AA. This year in AAA for Durham he's got a 1.000 OPS.
    It's the ball, no doubt. But I believe it's the same ball they are using in MLB so it shouldn't be big of a drop off if he gets called to the bigs, just the standard one of going from AAA to MLB. But otherwise, I agree about tempered expectations. As was stated, he deserves to be up for his defense alone over Ervin.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It's the ball, no doubt. But I believe it's the same ball they are using in MLB so it shouldn't be big of a drop off if he gets called to the bigs, just the standard one of going from AAA to MLB.
    But this requires one to overlook that the pitching in MLB is far, far better than in AAA.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

But this requires one to overlook that the pitching in MLB is far, far better than in AAA.
    We agree. There will be the standard drop off that happens when a player goes from AAA to MLB, which has been quite big.

So I do find this interesting

Aquino last year

Aquino now

I don't claim to be some hitting expert but I know what my eyes tell me, which is that Aquino has a new, more up-right batting stance. I don't know if it lets him "load" his swing more or gives him an extra moment to see the pitch but but whatever it is I do think it might be playing a part in his ridiculous offensive productivity (along with the clear ball factor).

11. Likes:

757690 (06-23-2019),alwaysawarrior (06-24-2019),Griffey012 (06-24-2019),OhioRiverBarge (06-23-2019),TRF (06-24-2019)

So I do find this interesting

Aquino last year

Aquino now

I don't claim to be some hitting expert but I know what my eyes tell me, which is that Aquino has a new, more up-right batting stance. I don't know if it lets him "load" his swing more or gives him an extra moment to see the pitch but but whatever it is I do think it might be playing a part in his ridiculous offensive productivity (along with the clear ball factor).
    He's also added a pretty sizeable leg kick too. This could help with timing/staying back more with off-speed.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

13. Likes:

757690 (06-24-2019),Tom Servo (06-24-2019)

It’s time to see what The Punisher can do in the big leagues.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    It’s time to see what The Punisher can do in the big leagues.
    Where does he play, though? If the plan is to give him 5 at bats a week I’ll pass for now. Bring him up after they trade Puig at the deadline and play him every day IMHO.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-24-2019),Griffey012 (06-24-2019)

If the Reds truly want to be a more competitive club, they'd be wise to avoid bringing guys like Aquino up and letting them learn on the fly. That's the stuff of bad baseball teams.

If they think Ervin, Aquino or VanMeter has conquered AAA and would serve as an improvement off the bench, sure. It's a tough role, but I'm not betting the season on unproven middling prospects. To give 20+ PA to a guy whose had his struggles and has yet to prove he's a competent big league hitter ain't a recipe for victories.

You pick your spots. For a big-time prospect, go ahead and clear a path. Sink or swim with Senzel or Winker. And there's obviously no brightline for determining whose worthy of giving meaningful ABs to, but despite Aquino's stratospheric 2019, I'm not particularly comfortable with him.

Again, it's a judgment game, but if the Reds are going to make a run for the Wild Card, I don't think you give Aquino his shot yet. Let the chips falls where they may with Puig. Make the necessary moves at the trade deadline, and if the season's shot you can still give Aquino a two-month tryout at the tail-end of the season.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

At this time, Aquino's best value for the Reds might be as a trade chip.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

19. Likes:

DocRed (06-24-2019),HammerTime (06-24-2019),mth123 (06-25-2019),RedTeamGo! (06-25-2019),Tom Servo (06-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I would guess Aquino doesn't have a lot of trade value. His best value for the Reds might just be to continue to mash in AAA, if the Reds are out of it late in the season give him a run of consistent AB's and see if he can translate it to the MLB level. Maybe the new stance has unlocked his potential, I would hate to give up that lottery ticket now for little return.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

21. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (06-24-2019),BillDoran (06-24-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Where does he play, though? If the plan is to give him 5 at bats a week I’ll pass for now. Bring him up after they trade Puig at the deadline and play him every day IMHO.
    Further, he is no longer on the 40 man roster. Reds already face one roster move when both Wood and Gennett come back. Unless they trade Puig as you suggest, I think the Reds will wait out the full Louisville season before making a move on Aquino.

Also, the 'now' batting stance looks more open. Would that affect bat speed or shorten his stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Maybe.

I'd add him to the 40 man roster again at some point, just so i can keep him from leaving. He'd make a good trade chit or possible RF replacement for Puig should he leave for whatever reason.

Scooter will be back, likely this weekend. Someone is getting booted back to AAA (Farmer?), so there is no room for Aquino right now. That may change in the next 5 weeks.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?