Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667

Thread: College Basketball 2019-2020

Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Was that filmed in Morgantown?
    Pretty bold for a guy that in once again sweating the bubble....

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    The people in the state can breathe basketball until they are purple, but that will not change the fact that Indiana is no longer producing a similar level of talent as states like Georgia, Florida and Texas. They definitely are not near the real mecca of high school basketball talent which is Southern California. Kansas and North Carolina are also states that have a reputation for being all about high school basketball, but like Indiana they do not produce a similar level of elite talent as several other states. I just looked at the National High School team rankings, and there is not a single school in Indiana listed in the Top 40 currently.....SoCal has 12 in the Top 25. Things have changed since New York was the mecca of high school basketball, and most of the talent seemed to come from the Northeast and Midwest. Today the Southeast, Texas and California are the most fertile recruiting grounds for high school basketball talent.
    1)While intangibles, such as the success of a player's team, may matter to certain degree in some cases, I'd venture to say that, in contrast to the talent of the particular player, a player's high school team's record matters relatively little in the recruiting game. Just as NBA scouts pay little attention to a college team's record/performance when scouting a player, only the project-ability of the player is of relevance.

2)Perhaps you were referring to the state of Kansas in terms of the fandom of high school basketball, but I find it hard to believe that the state of Kansas outproduces Missouri when it comes to solid high school talent: Michael Porter Jr., Jayson Tatum, Bradley Beal (both from the St.Louis area), O.G Anunoby and Juwan Morgan come to mind. The state of Kansas is full of powerhouse JC programs, though.

3)While I'm not disputing the fact that Texas, Florida and California are high school talent meccas/fertile recruiting grounds, but when you're weighing them against the state of Indiana (which has consistently ranked within the top 5 or ten within the past 15 years or so itself), there's one huge dynamic at work here: Per ca-pita, the three powerhouse states that you mentioned each contain significantly more division 1 NCAA programs than the state of Indiana. In other words, to say nothing of the schools from outside the respective states of Texas, Florida and California, Indiana University faces far less instate competition within their own state for recruits than, for example, the Longhorns, Gators and Bruins, respectively. There are just so many mouths eating from the proverbial troughs of talent in the in the three aforementioned states.

Bottom-line:Regardless of whatever metric thrown out there to measure the strength of the fertility of Indiana in terms of hoops recruiting, it is an annual virtual guarantee that there is more than an ample amount of talent -- even after Kentucky, Louisville et all grab their fair share of IHSSA players, which has been occurring seemingly forever -- to enable an IU coach and staff to return to prominence (cumulatively, as it won't happen overnight) by concentrating on its own state and augmenting classes with talent from surrounding states, as opposed to a heavy National recruiting regimen required by virtually all other schools regarded as plum jobs.

Not unlike UNC, with its long established 1-95 corridor recruiting pipeline, there's a built-in advantage to recruiting high school talent for IU. And if a coach doesn't take advantage of it (read: Mike Davis and post '14 Tom Crean), he'll never be successful as an IU coach over the long haul, regardless of all of the high school talent elsewhere.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 03-09-2020 at 02:00 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

4. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-09-2020),dubc47834 (03-09-2020)

Just saying that Oregon's rise into perennial Top-25 rankings began when they were finally able to break through the ice and recruit from the Los Angeles area. Once they became a player in this and Phil Knight invested heavily into the program, they have never looked back and for a long time now have been regularly competing for either the regular season Pac-12 title, the Pac-12 Tournament Championship, Sweet-16 Finals or Top-15 regular season poll rankings. Recruiting from the Los Angeles area was critical to their success and they were then able to move beyond that because of their money and now can recruit from the entire world. Their current best player is local, though.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-09-2020 at 04:47 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-09-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    The people in the state can breathe basketball until they are purple, but that will not change the fact that Indiana is no longer producing a similar level of talent as states like Georgia, Florida and Texas. They definitely are not near the real mecca of high school basketball talent which is Southern California. Kansas and North Carolina are also states that have a reputation for being all about high school basketball, but like Indiana they do not produce a similar level of elite talent as several other states. I just looked at the National High School team rankings, and there is not a single school in Indiana listed in the Top 40 currently.....SoCal has 12 in the Top 25. Things have changed since New York was the mecca of high school basketball, and most of the talent seemed to come from the Northeast and Midwest. Today the Southeast, Texas and California are the most fertile recruiting grounds for high school basketball talent.
    Believe what you want to...

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-09-2020)

It's a bit difficult to see where Lunardi has UC on the bubble now that UC is the #1 seed in the AAC and gets the autobid in Lundadi's projection. The fact that he has them as a #12 seed means he has them out without the autobid, but does he think they're the first team out? The second one out? Etc. Also, I guess that means that if Houston wins the AAC Tournament, it would open up another spot for his first team out, Richmond, which would prevent the A-10 from being a one-bid league. Rhode Island collapsed down the stretch and probably should have lost to UMass on Saturday, too. My two rooting interests, Xavier and Wichita State, are also on Joe's waiting list, but at least they're high on it! And WSU and Cincinnati may well be headed for a virtual elimination game on Saturday in Ft. Worth.

Granted, Lunardi also has UCLA in, and I don't think that's going to happen without a Pac-12 tournament championship.

BracketMatrix still has all three of Xavier, UC and Wichita State in. This is going to be a wild week (and a nice distraction from...everything else), and a very interesting Selection Sunday!
    Last edited by Boston Red; 03-09-2020 at 10:46 AM.

10. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-09-2020),Revering4Blue (03-09-2020)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It's a bit difficult to see where Lunardi has UC on the bubble now that UC is the #1 seed in the AAC and gets the autobid in Lundadi's projection. The fact that he has them as a #12 seed means he has them out without the autobid, but does he think they're the first team out? The second one out? Etc. Also, I guess that means that if Houston wins the AAC Tournament, it would open up another spot for his first team out, Richmond, which would prevent the A-10 from being a one-bid league. Rhode Island collapsed down the stretch and probably should have lost to UMass on Saturday, too. My two rooting interests, Xavier and Wichita State, are also on Joe's waiting list, but at least they're high on it! And WSU and Cincinnati may well be headed for a virtual elimination game on Saturday in Ft. Worth.

Granted, Lunardi also has UCLA in, and I don't think that's going to happen without a Pac-12 tournament championship.

BracketMatrix still has all three of Xavier, UC and Wichita State in. This is going to be a wild week (and a nice distraction from...everything else), and a very interesting Selection Sunday!
    How about this one?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba.../bracketology/

12. Likes:

Boston Red (03-09-2020),Revering4Blue (03-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Yeah, I saw that one after looking at Lunardi and obviously liked that one much, much better! I've ALWAYS said that Palm is great and Lunardi a bum.

14. Likes:

Assembly Hall (03-09-2020),Revering4Blue (03-09-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post

Prior to yesterday when UC took the assumed AAC automatic bid from Tulsa, Lunardi had UC as the third team out (behind Richmond and Xavier). However, Tulsa was one of those teams that was in at the time, and their only chance right now is to win the AAC tournament. I think UC would also be in with a loss in the championship on Sunday, but it's hard to see them getting in with only a win over UCF or USF Friday and a loss to WSU or UConn on Saturday.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-09-2020)

Turn Off Ads?