Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Basketball 2019-2020 (Another Year, Another Rebuild)

Kentucky Basketball 2019-2020 (Another Year, Another Rebuild)

The final roster for next season could be taking place within the next week.

Johnny Juzang is expected to commit to Kentucky tonight. He’s a 6’6 guard from California with a silky jump shot that should replace Jemarl Baker.

On Wednesday, Jaden McDaniels is expected to commit and Kentucky just got a pick from Evan Daniels. McDaniels is 6’11 and can play as a point forward and is being compared to Kevin Durant. Major get if he commits.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-10-2019)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kentucky Basketball 2019-2020 (Another Year, Another Rebuild)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    On Wednesday, Jaden McDaniels is expected to commit and Kentucky just got a pick from Evan Daniels. McDaniels is 6’11 and can play as a point forward and is being compared to Kevin Durant. Major get if he commits.
    I'd prefer Blackshear.

5. Likes:

UKFlounder (05-10-2019)

UK will need size if Montgomery and Richards stay in the draft. Although I don't expect them to but you never know.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'd prefer Blackshear.
    I would too but my money is on Florida.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

It depends on what Blackshear wants to do, IMO.

Either way, if I were his adviser, I'd tell Richards he should go ahead and start his professional career. He's not going to improve his stock all that much as a third-year backup. (Which is his likely role.) He is a rim-running defender with elite athleticism and issues showing it on the court. Most of that is maturity, IMO, and game experience. He'll get a lot more of that as a pro than at Kentucky. He can go ahead and get the ball rolling, so to speak, grab some decent cash, and show off that massive upside overseas.

Montgomery, OTOH, could still be a lottery pick. He has range he hasn't shown and could be a rare rebounder/ defender. If he's the starter at center (or power forward), he'd be better served to show a little patience. If Blackshear signs, however, Montgomery might also want to go pro now.

One thing's for sure-- someone along that frontline is likely going to be buried.

It depends on what Blackshear wants to do, IMO.

Either way, if I were his adviser, I'd tell Richards he should go ahead and start his professional career. He's not going to improve his stock all that much as a third-year backup. (Which is his likely role.) He is a rim-running defender with elite athleticism and issues showing it on the court. Most of that is maturity, IMO, and game experience. He'll get a lot more of that as a pro than at Kentucky. He can go ahead and get the ball rolling, so to speak, grab some decent cash, and show off that massive upside overseas.

Montgomery, OTOH, could still be a lottery pick. He has range he hasn't shown and could be a rare rebounder/ defender. If he's the starter at center (or power forward), he'd be better served to show a little patience. If Blackshear signs, however, Montgomery might also want to go pro now.

One thing's for sure-- someone along that frontline is likely going to be buried.
    If Kentucky somehow lands Blackshear, Juzang, and McDaniels, they will have as much depth as the 2014-2015 team.

PG-Ashton Hagans
    SG-Tyrese Maxey
    SF-Khalil Whitney
    PF-Jaden McDaniels
    C-Kerry Blackshear

Bench:
    Immanuel Quickley
    Brad Calipari
    Johnny Juzang
    Dontaie Allen
    Keion Brooks Jr.
    EJ Montgomery/Nick Richards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll tell you what, Im a lot more excited about these football recruits Stoops is bringing in. Cal is gonna get his guys, Ive almost entirely quit following basketball in the offseason.

I would too but my money is on Florida.
    Why?

At Kentucky's he's a Day One starter too, and he'll be able to put up 15 shots a game just as a rim-runner and kick-back shooter.

At Florida, he'll put up 20 but be double-teamed virtually every time he touches the ball. True shooting percentage will drop precipitously.

Too, who was the last Gator big who developed into something at the NBA level? Al Horford?

Towns, Boogie, Davis, and a crapload of bigs who are similar in size and shooting ability to Blackshear would seem to show Calipari's penchant for developing quality bigs into quality big pros.

Are those extra five shots worth that much?

- - - Updated - - -

If Kentucky somehow lands Blackshear, Juzang, and McDaniels, they will have as much depth as the 2014-2015 team.
    If they land McDaniels, they won't land Blackshear. And vice versa.

(Unless, of course, both Montgomery and Richards leave school.)

Quote Originally Posted by UKWhoDey View Post
    I'll tell you what, Im a lot more excited about these football recruits Stoops is bringing in. Cal is gonna get his guys, Ive almost entirely quit following basketball in the offseason.
    Wake me up when they actually sign. A verbal means absolutely nothing in college football.

What’s sad is when you consider the players who have verbaled to Kentucky only to back out when a blue blood offers, only for them to ride the pine elsewhere (Jarren Williams, Mac Jones) or leave via the transfer portal (Blue Smith). I’m hoping Beau Allen and John Young stay committed but I’d say Justin Rogers is gone to Bama now.

Why?

At Kentucky's he's a Day One starter too, and he'll be able to put up 15 shots a game just as a rim-runner and kick-back shooter.

At Florida, he'll put up 20 but be double-teamed virtually every time he touches the ball. True shooting percentage will drop precipitously.

Too, who was the last Gator big who developed into something at the NBA level? Al Horford?

Towns, Boogie, Davis, and a crapload of bigs who are similar in size and shooting ability to Blackshear would seem to show Calipari's penchant for developing quality bigs into quality big pros.

Are those extra five shots worth that much?

- - - Updated - - -

If they land McDaniels, they won't land Blackshear. And vice versa.

(Unless, of course, both Montgomery and Richards leave school.)
    That’s why I think one of Montgomery or Richards comes back. I agree though that Richards would be best to go overseas. Montgomery still has potential to improve by coming back.

It’s not impossible to imagine a 3-5 of McDaniels, Montgomery, and Blackshear. A lot of options.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Better be concerned about Brooks.

Wake me up when they actually sign. A verbal means absolutely nothing in college football.

What’s sad is when you consider the players who have verbaled to Kentucky only to back out when a blue blood offers, only for them to ride the pine elsewhere (Jarren Williams, Mac Jones) or leave via the transfer portal (Blue Smith). I’m hoping Beau Allen and John Young stay committed but I’d say Justin Rogers is gone to Bama now.

That’s why I think one of Montgomery or Richards comes back. I agree though that Richards would be best to go overseas. Montgomery still has potential to improve by coming back.

It’s not impossible to imagine a 3-5 of McDaniels, Montgomery, and Blackshear. A lot of options.
    Richards just tweeted that he is coming back. Unless he wanted to go overseas to make some money this was his only choice. I read over the weekend that Montgomery is likely staying in the draft. I think he would have been another Washington if he would come back. He has until midnight tomorrow to make his final decision.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Richards just tweeted that he is coming back. Unless he wanted to go overseas to make some money this was his only choice. I read over the weekend that Montgomery is likely staying in the draft. I think he would have been another Washington if he would come back. He has until midnight tomorrow to make his final decision.
    False alarm. Montgomery is coming back.

Excited about him and Hagans. This could be a good team next year.

False alarm. Montgomery is coming back.

Excited about him and Hagans. This could be a good team next year.
    That was a little bit of a surprise. With him coming back that will help the front court a whole lot. Also I read that Blackshear took his name out of the draft. The article I read said UK still had a good shot at him. It was between UK,Florida and Tex A&M. If they could get him next years team is really loaded.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That was a little bit of a surprise. With him coming back that will help the front court a whole lot. Also I read that Blackshear took his name out of the draft. The article I read said UK still had a good shot at him. It was between UK,Florida and Tex A&M. If they could get him next years team is really loaded.
    Too loaded, IMO.

There's a balance and minutes enough for a specific number of players.

It's good news that both Richards and Montgomery came back for continuity and experience, but, from where I sit, next year's Kentucky team still looks like it's short shooting.

Quickley's okay, and Sestina's been historically solid, but that's about it.

Calipari prefers longer, athletic teams that like to run. Next year's Cats will do just that. They'll be solid underneath and will probably rebound well.

However, a team that will seemingly rely on Brooks and Whitney as wing forwards will have a hard time in today's game.

Too loaded, IMO.

There's a balance and minutes enough for a specific number of players.

It's good news that both Richards and Montgomery came back for continuity and experience, but, from where I sit, next year's Kentucky team still looks like it's short shooting.

Quickley's okay, and Sestina's been historically solid, but that's about it.

Calipari prefers longer, athletic teams that like to run. Next year's Cats will do just that. They'll be solid underneath and will probably rebound well.

However, a team that will seemingly rely on Brooks and Whitney as wing forwards will have a hard time in today's game.
    I think Maxey would fill the void in terms of shooting. Then again, he could be another Quade Green too.

Turn Off Ads?