Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2019-2020

Re: College Basketball 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I'm certain Gonzaga would like to join a better conference, but there are no better conferences available given the geography and their lack of football. I know they and the Big East have kicked the tires over the years, but there's really no way to make a member in Spokane, WA work for a conference called the Big East (that has 5 members within almost a literal stone's throw of the Atlantic Ocean).
    solution is to start playing football

2. Turn Off Ads?

Their incentive is that nothing lasts forever. Mark Few will eventually have to retire. Long-term, they've got a lot better chance to maintain themselves as a premier program if they're in a better league.

And I agree with AH below on the TV revenue piece, too, although I suspect Gonzaga probably manages to do okay on that score. They're on major TV networks a lot.
    I'm not privvy to the numbers, but I figure football is the main driver of the TV revenue bus so I wonder how much better they would do elsewhere. I would think it would take something radical like the Pac-12 adding them as a non-football member to improve the conference's basketball profile. Or the Big East or the American doing some sort of East/West divisions, but even that seems shaky.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-14-2020)

BIG EAST
    Western Division

"Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

And I agree with AH below on the TV revenue piece, too, although I suspect Gonzaga probably manages to do okay on that score. They're on major TV networks a lot.
    Whatever Gonzaga makes, they could do a helluva lot better in a bigger/better conference. I would argue that they are making peanuts now to what their "brand" is worth. But they are "trapped" on the left side of the Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I'm not privvy to the numbers, but I figure football is the main driver of the TV revenue bus so I wonder how much better they would do elsewhere. I would think it would take something radical like the Pac-12 adding them as a non-football member to improve the conference's basketball profile. Or the Big East or the American doing some sort of East/West divisions, but even that seems shaky.
    The Mountain West has tried to get Gonzaga multiple times. I think a lot of the bball money is derived from outside of the television contracts from the NCAA Tournament credits. Most of the big conferences accumulate all and distribute somewhat evenly (I think). Not sure how that is handled in the WCC.

Actually, I just googled, and it appears they remain in the WCC because they get a sweetheart deal on the Tournament credits. So yeah, they actually could join a more competitive conference, but without a football team, it would be less revenue.

https://apnews.com/275680042f9e4b5bb7b71a4fbca0ff10

8. Likes:

The Bearcats were giving away free palpitations to anyone in the stands that wanted them last night. Or even if they didn't want them. They pulled it out in overtime though. Tre Scott has been on fire over the past 2 contests, scoring 50 points and hauling down 32 rebounds. UC lives to fight on for another day.

10. Likes:

UC is one of those teams that keeps getting better as the season goes on.

I don't know what their ceiling is, but it has been a lot of fun to watch them progress.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

Louisville is getting handled by the bottom of the ACC these days. Some really bad teams. Not a good look for a supposed top 5 team.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Louisville is getting handled by the bottom of the ACC these days. Some really bad teams. Not a good look for a supposed top 5 team.
    Yet still not nearly as bad as Butler losing at home to an injury-riddled, weakened-by-defection Georgetown team. Then again, there are no sure things in Big East play.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

15. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-16-2020)

Georgetown is a fringe NCAA Tournament team. Georgia Tech and Clemson are...not.

At the same time, you're right that a team ranked in the top 20 shouldn't be losing at home to a team with 5 scholarships players.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 02-16-2020 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Yet still not nearly as bad as Butler losing at home to an injury-riddled, weakened-by-defection Georgetown team. Then again, there are no sure things in Big East play.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    That was just pitiful.

With the talk about UC and some bad conference losses in regards to Butler, Louisville, etc. Historically, I feel like the committee rewards good wins more than punishing bad losses. . . especially early in the year. UC will be penalized, a little bit, for those early losses, but not as much as people think. At this rate, if UC finishes 1st or second in conference and wins at least 1 game in AAC tournament, I think they're a shoe-in to make the tournament.

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-16-2020),Sea Ray (02-16-2020),texasdave (02-16-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    With the talk about UC and some bad conference losses in regards to Butler, Louisville, etc. Historically, I feel like the committee rewards good wins more than punishing bad losses. . . especially early in the year. UC will be penalized, a little bit, for those early losses, but not as much as people think. At this rate, if UC finishes 1st or second in conference and wins at least 1 game in AAC tournament, I think they're a shoe-in to make the tournament.
    In regards to Butler and Louisville, they are both easily in. But they keep dropping down the seed line.

21. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-17-2020),Revering4Blue (02-16-2020)

Bearcats playing with fire again, trailing by 8 with 11 minutes to go against East Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Bearcats playing with fire again, trailing by 8 with 11 minutes to go against East Carolina.
    This team could lose 3 of their remaining regular season games and miss out on tournament orrrrrrrrr make an Elite 8 run. I have no idea how this will go.

All in all, they have played through an incredible amount of adversity this year. Quickly becoming one of my favorite UC teams of all time. 2006 will remain my favorite for multiple reasons.
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 02-16-2020 at 02:27 PM.

24. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-16-2020),Spanky (02-16-2020)

Turn Off Ads?